Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help me go tubeless…
  • loddrik
    Free Member

In not what you’d call an early adopter, but I’ve just bought done tubeless rims, Stans Arch, so I need to finally give it a try.

Presently run 2.4 Nobby Nics, they seem to go on quite easy so I’m guessing I’d be needing UST tyres as I can’t imagine they’d seal very well.

If so, what do I need to do to get my new UST tyres fitted and sealed ?

Mister-P
    Free Member

I bought a set of XT M785 tubeless 29er wheels. Stuck on a set of normal folding Conti X Kings and inflated them with a track pump first time. There were a couple of little nicks in the tyres so I stuck in a bit of Stans sealant and they have stayed up. It doesn’t get much easier. Your results may vary.

P20

It should just need yellow tape, valve and sealant. Which version of nn are you running? Some are better than others

loddrik
    Free Member

Evo, beads seem quite loose which is great at the minute as I’m running tubes but I can’t imagine it’d be easy to seal.

How does the sealant go in and how much do I use? I’d obviously prefer to use my existing tyres if possible.

P20

You can get them to seal, I managed 2.4 evo’s on crests, but they were tricky. A Pykey inflator helps. I just put the sealant in the before the last bit of the bead. There’s good guides on the stans website

Kryton57

Its all on the website. I have NN’s & Ralph EVO sealed fine on Amercan Classics & Single Ringles Black Flags (the latter are a licenced STANS design).

As per the NoTubes website,tape the rim if necessary, leave the last bit of bead, throw in (probably 2) scoops of STANS fluid, seat the tyre and punp like crazy. old the tyre horizontally with the bit away from you pointing slighty downwards and shake. Rotate tyre 6 inches and repeat. Flip wheel and repeat (adding more air if necessary. The no tubes site has a video showing this.

That ^^ is probably the most you’ll have to do – I’ve had NN TLR’s and Bonty Mud X seal instantly without all the shaking (although I did it anyway to be sure).

Edit here – the “tubless kit” vid

mattjg
    Free Member

I seat the tyre to the rim beading first (which doesn’t need sealant) then deflate, take out the valve core, put the sealant in there and put the core back to reinflate.

I’m c**p at getting tyres on rims so doing it with sealant also sloshing about would end in a big white mess.

br
    Free Member

IME Its worth getting new tyres

althepal

I had slightly used NNs go onto traverse EL rims with only a track pump.. Took a bit of shoogling to get them all sealed but went up ok. Was my first time on tubeless too!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Help me go tubeless…’ is closed to new replies.