Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Help me fix my house please!
  • Zedsdead
    Free Member

Okay, I have a couple of issues with my house. Basically I hate the maoney pit….

But seriously, my wife tells me the roof is leaking. I’m not convinced (haven’t had a look yet) it is and think it may well be moisture condensing up there?

The roof was coated by the previous owner using some horrible looking product (Aquashield – bunch of cowboys) and I suspect this hasn’t helped the issue. But I don’t know what it was like before so….

The house is about 40 or so years old. Standard box with windows, concrete construction, tiled roof. It’s double glazed with with aluminium framed double glazing which is in good condition, although there are no window vents (another issue…)

The insulation in the loft may as well not be there. It’s like a paper type stuff and pathetically thin. I was planning on properly insulating it and flooring it so I could use the space for storage when I get back from India.
    However if it’s leaking/condensing/something else then I need to sort this out first.

Any ideas, is this a common problem with next to no insulation in place? She tells me that there are large damp patches all over the place. Between the rafters there is what looks like some cheap fibreboard type sheeting – this is where you can see most of the damp patches.

If I use heavy insulation in the loft should this cure it? I know it’ll save quite a bit on the heating bill…..

Thanks

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I should also add that whilst the tiles are covered in that horrible stuff they are all intact and where they should be. There are no vent tiles though…

There is also no sign of any leaking through the ceilings of any of the rooms below. Nor any down internal walls.

andy7t2
    Free Member

yeah i’ll fix your house while your away in india no problem

Just email me you wife’s number and a photo and i’ll pop round to sort her the roof out

djglover
    Free Member

you need more vents. thats about it.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

As simple as more vents. Should I use vented tiles or something else? I could put one or two in the end wall up there. Or some in the fascia boards?… where would be best?

jonb
    Free Member

If you insulate does it make condesation better or worse? I would have though better?

franksinatra

Build Centre are selling Rockwool insulation for £3 per roll. I did my whole loft for less than the cost of one roll of B&Q stuff.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Thanks Frank.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Help me fix my house please!’ is closed to new replies.