Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)
  • Help me find the perfect sub £1000 retro motorbike – pics please
  • benp1

at £1k you could be buying a bike that you suddenly need to spend £500 on without wanting to

You sure you can’t up your budget a bit more and get something a bit newer?

slimjim78
    Free Member

You sure you can’t up your budget a bit more and get something a bit newer?

Yeah, probably. Can’t see me spending much less than £1500 at this point.

I see the one side of the discussion where all these bikes are now 30-40 years old, will have seen neglect, wear and tear etc – but on the other hand, you also hear of ‘bullet proof/rock solid’ reliability claims, and some of the less complicated engine designs have about a thousand less moving parts than their counterparts.

I was thinking that a 500/600cc aircooled machine would be a safer bet. I’ve been reading horror stories about valve shims and adjustments etc though.

Aren’t there any ‘go to’ reliable models?

I’ve been recommended a Honda CX500 or GL500 (same 500cc twin) as a reliable old work horse. Gotta say, I think its a handsome looking machine:

5thElefant
    Free Member

The plastic maggot had an appalling reputation for reliability and is the ugliest bike ever made. They did wheelie quite well though. Which might explain how quickly I killed mine.

smokey_jo

The mighty maggot is now becoming very popular with the hipster custom crowd as they make nice brat bikes so good luck finding a reasonable one for a grand.

Even Superdreams fetch silly money now too.

Suzuki GS500E (The twin not the four) might be a shout – find one that hasn’t been dispatched to death or been at a training school though.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Ha, the maggot looks fine to me – i’ve always preferred my vehicles a bit ‘different’.

appalling reputation for reliability

Everything i’ve read claims the complete opposite. ~Asides an early camchain tensioner issue that seems to have been rectified fairly quickly.

Suzuki GS500E

Passed my test on one of those. Can’t say it would stoke my enthusiasm unfortunately.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Everything i’ve read claims the complete opposite. ~Asides an early camchain tensioner issue that seems to have been rectified fairly quickly.

Yeah, just had a quick read. They died en-masse when first released (and I haven’t paid any attention since), but recalls and changes fixed that, so the ones that are left appear to be fine.

Not that you’ll get one for a grand.

rocketman
    Free Member

The CX was a good bike I had three. The original CX-Z got through two cam chain tensioners very quickly but the third one stayed fixed I did 20k+ on it nothing else failed but the corrosion was apocalyptic.

2nd bike was a 500E much easier on the eye whilst still being a Honda

3rd one was a 650E which was never quite the same after a crash

kilo

What about a Honda nighthawk still affordable and I remember reading that they weren’t too bad

vinnyeh

A Suzuki air-cooled four. GS1000 or GSX1100 will be out of budget, as will, I imagine the 750. 850 shafty was a nice tourer in it’s day, but the 550/650 engines were bulletproof. Easy to work on. Cdi, not points. 2 valves per cylinder. Great handling (for their day :lol:)
    650 engine was a later and better design, strengthened for the XN85 Turbo, with shaft drive.
    550 chain driven and pretty anaemic, but handled well enough to make it a decent prod racer in it’s day.
    Ideal compromise between performance, pizzazz and reliability would probably be a 650 Katana, but I suspect these will be out of budget.

Is this really the era of retro you want to get into. Because, as so succinctly said above, even though these bikes are really early 80’s numbers, this still applies:

70s bikes were shit 40 years ago. They haven’t improved with age. Things didn’t really improve until the mid-90s

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’ve been recommended a Honda CX500 or GL500 (same 500cc twin) as a reliable old work horse. Gotta say, I think its a handsome looking machine:

These are quite trendy now with the mock Cafe Racer scene so prices have shot up. I had the CX500 many years ago and was pretty reliable but worn rings meant an oil drinking problem and it wasn’t worth the hassle of repairs. Wish I’d kept it now.

Alex

BWD’s post reminded me I had the ‘road’ version of the TDM

Not the era you’re looking for or under £1000, but what a fab bike for tootling around on, really comfy – even two up for a bit anyway, enough power from a lovely twin, only 5 speed but after you were moving it had enough torque to basically stick it in top and cruise about.

I want another one now. Sorry, as you were 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was thinking that a 500/600cc aircooled machine would be a safer bet. I’ve been reading horror stories about valve shims and adjustments etc though.

Aren’t there any ‘go to’ reliable models?

Problem is you’re buying about 30 years after couriers and instructors/schools will have run anything like that into the ground.

Plenty of bikes will do 100,000 miles, if you service them, but that’s 10 years of ‘normal’ use. Spread over 40 years you’re buying a bike that’s been used intermittently, probably missed as many services as it’s had, and anything rubber/plastic is probably falling apart.

For context, plenty of people* will say a Harley Davidson will do 200,000miles before it’s uneconomical to repair, and even then someone will probably still do it, which is why 15 year old Dyna’s with 50,000 on the clock are still £6k, and that’s the cheapest Harley you’ll find apart from Sportsters (and even a rubbish Sportster is £3k).

*They may or may not be wrong. I’d argue the tolerances are so slack it’s just harder to work out when they’re worn.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Vinnyeh – which models are the 650 engine found in? Shaft drive appeals, chains are a pita

5thElefant
    Free Member

Chains are easy to work on and replace. Add a scott oiler and they’re virtually maintenance free. I did 25k on a chain with barely any wear.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Given the choice, i’d pick shaft still. Less mess being chucked about, less hassle post riding in rain etc.

But yes, not a dealbreaker.

My uncle has stockpile a bunch of GT750’s , Z1000 and Z1300’s. Im tempted to break the bank and go for one of those.
    Would just prefer an easier life! (not sure he’s ever had them on the road for more than a week at a time).

slimjim78
    Free Member

So my uncle has offered me a Z1300 for £1800. He lives out of the country at the moment though, and doesnt know what it needs to get running again.

He has a lock up with various American muscle cars and 70s/80s superbikes in various states of repair. In fact he’s the reason I have an incling for older bikes – he has about 5 GT750’s, including one minter with about 4000 miles from new,

I remember seeing the Z1300 a few years ago and it was an impressive looking bike. In great cosmetic shape too. Seems they dont sell for much less than £5k these days.
    Worth considering?

bazzer
    Free Member

Why not just get something slightly more modern and enjoy riding it ?

Edited to add, Bandit 1200 ?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Yeah, had a Bandit 1200 a few years ago. Stonking engine.
    I think this time round im after the full musty garage, leather jacket and open face helmet experience.

That just doesn’t work with a Bandit.

kilo
    Pigface
    Free Member

Z1300 is a big lump of a thing

5thElefant
    Free Member

I remember seeing the Z1300 a few years ago and it was an impressive looking bike. In great cosmetic shape too. Seems they dont sell for much less than £5k these days.
    Worth considering?

Six of everything to go wrong and if a bandit 12 is too much I’m not convinced a z1300 is any less. I’d like one mind. Or a Moto Martin cbx if we’re going to blow the budget.

zippykona

Our state of the art workshop! Building a 13 from the crate.
    My ts50 behind.

Does anyone remember Doug Domokos?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Does anyone remember Doug Domokos

Oh yes.

CountZero

The plastic maggot got so much flak from the power ranger crowd, but for courier riders it was almost the bike du jour, not too much bodywork to get smashed, what was there was easy to duct tape together, a reliable engine and drive-train if kept maintained, (shaft-drive, so no chain oiling), and it’s possible to make an interesting and fun retro-styled bike that’s perfect for scratting around the A-and-B roads.
    If I was looking at getting a bike, I’d seriously look at a maggot.

There’s always the turbo version…

The Honda CB750KZ is a fine bike, my brother has one, it was his first bike after he passed his test, going from a CB125/250 as soon as he was legally old enough to ride. The 750KZ has a four-into-one pipe on it, which takes a lot of weight off, and updated shocks. I was with him on the bike when he went up the the Bike Show at the NEC Birmingham, he bought a pair of shocks at the show, swapped them over in the car park, and rode back with the new ones, made a noticeable improvement to the handling, too.
    The pipe has ‘For Racing Use Only’ stamped on it, but it been on the bike since the mid-80’s, (the bike is ‘W’-reg – 1980), and nobody’s ever had an issue with it.
    It is pretty loud,

vongassit
    Free Member

Get yee an FJ1200 , 70’s bikes really do suck , if the shit brakes dont kill you the shit suspension will , never mind the tyre’s, although that cafe racer red magot is sexy & horrible all at the same time.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Why anyone would dress up a maggot like a guzzi is beyond me. Actually a Moto guzzi might be an option. You can get newer ones cheap. Probably just as crap as a 70s bike too 🙂

RustySpanner

Get the Z1300!

Maggots were great, but as a shortarse, I always found them a bit tiptoey.

XJ650’s are lovely things, but I’ve not seen one in ages.

My favourite bikes back then as a skint newbie were the Honda CB250RS, gorgeous little thing, but there’s none left.
    No idea how a simple 250 single can be so much fun.

Oh, and MZ’s. 😳
    I have a bit of a thing for them.
    As kids we had one in desert camo with a shopping trolley converted into a side car.
    I’d love another one.

tom13
    Free Member

If you want something cool, simple and a bit of fun get an ETZ 250. Not going to set the world on fire. Nice and light comparatively so you can throw it around, still has a decent power band. The racing club do loads of aftermarket bits for them such as expansion chambers. There are sites from over the channel offering ridiculously cheap spares and it just screams it be made into a cafe racer with a set of ace bars or clip ons.

I think by getting an older two stroke you get all the nostalgia, sometimes the prices can be premium but if you look around there are bikes to be had. I’m desperate to build an old 70s 2stoke flat/street tracker from some of the Mx spares we have.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Hmm, that does look an interesting option. I imagine it would rattle ones fillings clean out, but it certainly has a charm

CountZero

My favourite bikes back then as a skint newbie were the Honda CB250RS, gorgeous little thing, but there’s none left.
    No idea how a simple 250 single can be so much fun.

That was my brother’s second bike, him and his best mate Mike got matching 125’s then 250RS’s with consecutive plates, in that metallic black paint. Really sweet little bike.

although that cafe racer red magot is sexy & horrible all at the same time.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean! Personally, I’d have the engine all black, to disguise the large crankcase, and I would ditch the huge HONDA logo, just have the wings, which are almost retro in themselves.
    Actually, if you’re going to turn a CX into a cafe racer, there’s no point in half-measures, you might as well go for it…

I have to say I love this bike!
    https://motorfans.nl/lifestyle/custom-motoren/raceklaar-custom-honda-cx500-caferacer/
    I think the budget might be busted with this one, though…

epicyclo

£1,000 is going to need a lot of luck to get anything decent.

£2,000 can get you a BMW which are bikes that tend be looked after, so often still in good nick. Parts are easy too.

My rule of thumb when I was an impecunious youth was always to buy old men’s bikes. Rarely thrashed, always looked after, and usually came with a load of spare parts.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Since being recommended i’ve been drawn to these strange agricultural MZ’s…

Who has any experience of them? I’m sure they are super vibey, noisy and supremely unrefined – but a bit of cold war era Eastern bloc machinery appeals on a ‘so bad its good’ level!

Is there much to choose between the 250 and 300cc models? First glance shows that some come fitted with oil mix feed into the cylinder (or carb?) – is this only on a partiuclar model?

I’m sure it’d be crap for touring but would be fine for pinging into town on. And seemingly cheap as cabbage soup.

uglybassplayer

I will shortly be selling my 1989 Yamaha XT600Z Tenere, can’t upload photos as I’m at work but here’s one for reference

Fully restored by previous owner, selling for a figure very close to your budget.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Well I happen to think they are pretty sweet. Talk to me.

smokey_jo

I had a couple of 125’s and the reg/rec was a weakpoint. Also the oil pump failed so ended up bodging back to pre-mix.

They’re bloody heavy, the suspension is soft and longish travel, the front disc is quite good, vibration isn’t too bad and they don’t sound like an RD or TZ as they’re tuned for torque rather than revs. The centre stand lug welds are a weak point so if they’re corroded they’ll need welding.

The only one I ever liked the look of was this one

I suspect he spent more than a grand on it though.

Plenty of good resources out there as there’s plenty of other mentalists fans out there EG

CountZero

That Tenére’s nice, which has just reminded me of another similar bike I was tempted by a few years back, the Honda 650 Dominator:

br
    Free Member

This post reminds me of a comment my Dad made a fair few years ago when looking at a restored 1930’s BSA.

“I had one of those in the 50’s, they were crap in their day and crap in my day; I’d hate to imagine how crap it feels now”

And for what it’s worth, MZ’s were serious crap and not a patch on Jap bikes even in the 70’s/80’s.

uglybassplayer

If you want some more details about the Tenere i’ll find some photos and email you.

Restored by previous owner shortly before I bought it (have all the receipts), I rode it for a year before new baby and major house restoration relegated it to the shed. Now its getting a spring clean, new tires, brake and fork overhaul and likely a new chain ready for sale.

It a great bike, small/light enough for nipping around town and a bit of gentle green laning (I’ve only ventured onto a few tame county roads) but has the legs to cruise on A roads. Sounds great in my opinion. Has reasonable weather and wind protection and is comfortable to ride for long distances as its a little taller than the average. Has usable lights. Big tank to so no constantly filling it up!

I would not be selling however the previously mentioned house renovation needs finishing and I also need to fund some equipment to start frame building.

Hoping for £1100 ono

Let me know and i’ll sort you some more details

slimjim78
    Free Member

By all means, would be great to see some pics. I’ll get in touch regarding a chat about it on strength of pics.

Leku
    Free Member

I had an MZ 251. Rode it to Oporto (from Bristol) with camping gear and a bodyboard. Came back and worked as a despatch rider on it for 18 months. Then got a company Honda Bros 400 (great bike).

Cheap and simple to mend. I’m not nostalgic about it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Help me find the perfect sub £1000 retro motorbike – pics please’ is closed to new replies.