• This topic has 24 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jeffl.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Help me find an nteresting 6 or 7 seater car
  • hb70

We currently run a converted T5 day van as our only car. Its a 53 with 125k on the clock and has retained its value ludicrously well. I commute by train so we do c8k miles a year mostly camping at weekends. Its probably worth 5 to 7k with its electric pack sunroof and the big 2.5 174 bhp engine being attractive.

We are a family of 4 but often go out with inlaws so would like a 6 or 7 seater with good bootspace for camping.

We are looking at seelling the T5 whilst its value is so high and getting something younger.

What i should do is buy a sensible Picasso or SMax. 7 seats, sensible, lots about. But……

We were watching Stringer Bell in The Wire the other night in an old style Mercedes ML270. I could trade our T5 in for a 7 seat 4×4 with 40k less miles on the clock and still have money left over.

Or a Mitsubishi Shogun with similar mileage for a bit more but still the same as the T5.

Its stupid. I know that i should just be sensible. But our mileage is pretty low so diesel costs are not critical. I know there are better cars but frankly i drive a van so an upgrade to either of these will give us a massive increase in comfort.

So, sensible or something a bit more interesting? Can i trade my T5 for something that will give me another 5 years at minimal cost?

And if i can be interesting what low cost c80k miles old, utilitarian but solid old 6/7 seaters might you recommend?

hammyuk
    Free Member

ML’s are awful on fuel and repair costs will make you cry.
    Shogun’s are pretty good all round but if it goes it goes big.
    There’s any number of 6/7 seat family types about.
    The Honda FRV is a bit goofball with a three/three layout.
    Value wise you be daft to move away from VW – nothing holds the residual like them.
    Caddy Maxi Life is everything you’ve spec’d.
    Full seven seats, large boot wil parcel shelf, 5 mins and it’s a long wheelbase van.
    Will also swallow bikes whole, take a double mattress, etc with ease.
    Only thing stopping Mattbee swapping his T5 for one is a 250kg lower tow limit for his caravan.
    Take your pick of manual or 7 speed DSG.
    I’ve loved mine and am only changing it as no need to carry more than 2 bikes now so a 135i is on order.

Xylene
    Free Member

Chevrolet Trailblazer

Royston
    Free Member

I have a Toyota ‘Ipsum’ (‘Avensis” in the UK) Van like space but still a car, no sliding doors like some MPV’s. 2.4 litre chain driven petrol engine provides excellent power and good economy.

mike399
    Free Member

Probably a stupid question – but can you not just bolt another row of caravelle seats in the T5?

nickjb
    Free Member

We run a Mitsubishi delica as our weekend car. Not sure if you will get one new enough but there’s plenty of low mileage ones that’ll easily give you 5 years use. Loads of room inside. 7 or 8 seat option. Swallows bikes. Room to sleep in it. Proper 4×4. Not fantastic handling and poor mpg but ok for how we use it.

nasher
    Free Member

You already have the perfect vehicle, you can easily add some seats, my t5 is on 230k and drives like new. If you do only 8 k a year why sell? no other 6/7 seater will retain value like a T5. Or get a shuttle/caravelle/multivan. The spec is much higher than a standard t5 van. Alternatively as mentioned above add some seats..

timber

Can you get a proper Range Rover (not Sport) with 7 seats? Disco isn’t bad either and can definitely be had with 7.
    7 seat conversions available for Mercs, start with an AMG E-class say…

Edit to add: May have made the assumption that a second hand T5 is worth a gazillion pounds

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP when in a similar position we chose the Shogun and ran 2 over 10+ years and 200,000 miles. They where faultless with only downside being heavy users of fuel (second one was the V6 24v mind). Rearmost seats aren’t for grandparents and the boot isn’t that big when seats are folded up to the side.

As an alternative the Volvo XC90 gets good reviews on here.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

You could get a Merc R which has the seats and 4wd in one money pit package.

Or give up on the ‘interesting’ and go ‘practical’ and get a Galaxy which are just brilliant

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Maserati?

ampthill

If there is any way you can stick with the current vehicle I would

Every vehicle change roles a dice. Most vehicles will last as long as they are worth fixing. The T5 will present bills at some point but I’d just soak them up. A Ford galaxy that’s knew to you might have a huge hidden problem. In 3 to 5 years time something will blow and it won’t be worth repairing and you’ll funding a new vehicle from scratch. The T5 will always be worth fixing for far longer and you can anticipate not having to start again

mattbee

I recently had a bit of a look around at other stuff, but just couldn’t find anything to replace my T5 with that ticked all of the same boxes.
    Mine is an ’08 plate with 185k on it, doesn’t feel it’s mileage in the cabin though.
    I’d just get some extra seats fitted in the T5 if I were you.

gab344
    Free Member

Have a word with Colin at http://www.oxfordt5.co.uk He fits used caravelle rail systems and seats.

redstripe
    Free Member

+1 for Oxford T5, friendly and helpful bloke with loads of used T5 seats. I bought some off him and he helped fit there and then for no extra cost & made me a cup of tea etc. When I have changed to a smaller vehicle before I have always regretted it and gone back to vans/kombis again so stick with what you have it runs well and can take the extra seats.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Had a new Picasso Grand C4 for the last 6 months as a company car and bike carrier and its been perfect, economical and comfortable.
    Unfortunately it’s going back on Friday due to a job change. I won’t miss the company but I’ll miss the car

pictonroad

Land Cruiser Amazon.

hb70

All really useful thanks. ML270 is def out then. Might have a look at the Shogun and see what heavy fuel use means. I reckon we get c35 to 40mpg from a T5.

I think the risk & cost of changing is really valid. Thanks for all tips and feedback as ever

bluehelmet
    Free Member

I was looking at a 7 seater electric combo van today, that’s interesting, depends on your journey range I guess.

scuttler

VW California Beach – 5-7 seats on rails like the Caravelle, camping for four (2 up, 2 down), great for days out (captain’s seats, table in door), variable boot space from big to huuuge, T5, no plumbing or cupboards, optional heater, straight from the factory with no modification.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Trekster

Kia Sorrento? 💡

antigee

“anonteresting 6 or 7 seater”

depends on how you read the thread title I guess – we have a Kia Sorento and interesting it is not

– plus side decent aircon to 3rd row and 3rd row big enough for people who aren’t under 10years old – roofbox essential with 3rd row but that’s pretty normal I’d prefer a van derivative for camping excess

Trekster

depends on how you read the thread title I guess – we have a Kia Sorento and interesting it is not

All depends on interpretation of “interesting” I suppose. 💡
    I too have one(our 2nd)bought to do as per OP shift stuff, people and a caravan. Later today it will be full of people 😆
    Previous car was a Touran, I found the 140TDi “interesting” others on here don’t. In some ways it was/is a better “car” in that the seating is more versatile, it just wasn’t heavy enough for our big ‘van 🙄

Must admit to not understanding the whole T5 love affair? Maybe having be put off them having worked on the original vans, pickups etc 40yrs ago which were a nightmare!!

mattbee

That’s like being put off a Focus because you worked on Anglias & the like….

jeffl

Not read all the replies but have an smax. When all 7 seats are used the rear boot space is that of a lupo or smaller so not great for camping trips etc. Probably limited to a couple of alim suitcases or rucksacks. Also the rear seats are very much for occasional use and better suited to kids rather than grandparents.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Help me find an nteresting 6 or 7 seater car’ is closed to new replies.