Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • help me do up my old bike
  • stavaigan
    Free Member

I have an Orange evo 2 which must be about 12- 13 yrs old. I want to do it up upgrading old components. Problem is I am clueless on the technical side of bikes. Main issue is to do with what components will be compatible for the bike. Not sure how you find this out – eg how do I know what headset or BB or drive system etc will fit/be compatible?? How do you work this sort of stuff out?

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Well it would help if you knew the year of your bike as that way you could google for the tech data for your bike. For example, a quick google on my part has found this:

2000 Orange Brochure

It doesn’t list the technical details but it’s a place to start from.

As for how to work out what fits, first you work out what you want to replace. For example, wheels, forks, drivetrain etc etc. Then you go looking for components which fit your bike.

Hope that helps.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

most of the modern chainsets are universal so they will fit your frame with the correct spacers fitted. the headset might be 1’1/8th or 1″ so you need to know that before buying a headset (but a bike from 2000 should have a 1’1/8th headset). other than the issue with the headset im fairly confident that most modern parts will fit. you can even upgrade to 10 speed by buying shifters, mechs and chain that are all 10 speed.

you will need special tools to take the bb out and chainset off. if changing the cassette you will need a cassette tool and chain whip

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Are you upgrading everything ?

headset willmore than likely be an 1.1/8th inch

For the bottom bracket it depends on what type you will be fitting,which is dependant on what chainset/cranks you will be fitting.
    Basically there are three types,all of which will fit your frame.
    Square taper – for which you will need to measure the bottom bracket shell width and makesure you have the correct axle length for the cranks
    Isis/octalink – needs to be measured same as above
    X type (external bearings) most come in one size and use spacers to attain correct fit.

……and then I found this ….Orange FAQ sheet

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘help me do up my old bike’ is closed to new replies.