Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help me decide – Stooge or Vagabond
  • funkmasterp

Hi Singletrack.

I’ve hopefully sold my bike and I’m looking to build up (or buy a complete) bike as something of an all rounder. It’ll be used for off road riding, bimbling, exploring, road riding and maybe commuting at some point in the future.

I’m liking the look of the Vagabond and Stooge. I know there are threads dedicated to both on here, but what, in your opinion, would make the better all rounder? I’m also open to other suggestions. Budget for full or build works be £1k max.

Thanks for any input 🙂

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I guess it depends if you want drop bars or not. Whilst both can run either, they were designed to use flats on the Stooge and drops on the Vaga.

Hard choice BTW I like both!

funkmasterp

I get on with both to be honest, kinda veering towards drops though as I find them comfier over distances. Maybe a Jones loop if I went the Stooge route. They are both lovely frames and could both (I think) do what I need. Karate Monkey was the other bike I was thinking of. Argh! Difficult choice.

tazzymtb

drops work fine on the stooge as well, something like the genetic digest drops are bloomin cracking on it (or the old ragley luxy like wot I had) Have a chat to Andy as he’s always happy to discuss various ways to use his frames and get the best out of them where possible.

grenosteve
    Free Member

The older (1″ 1/8 headtube) Karate Monkey is a lovely bike! I love mine – it was briefly sold to my brother, but after nagging him for it back for a few months, it’s now back in my care. 🙂 The ogre is the same, just with more braze on points for luggage.

I think the newer KM is more of a trail focused rigid MTB than an all round 29er, and may loose some of the springy steel charm of the old one.

I think you could just build one for £1k, maybe need to find the bits on sale though…

funkmasterp

Thanks all. I’ve been emailing Andy at Stooge over the last few days and I’m going to have a look at a Vagabond next week.

My thinking is I’ll have a bike that can do a bit of everything (limited of course) and when funds allow buy a full suss for proper off road shenanigans.

I don’t mind building with bits bought from classifieds, Pinkbike etc.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Master P
    Ive just listed my MK1 stooge on the classifieds(you may have seen it in the Stooge bible). I’ve had a number of people interested in the frame but i’m undecided wether to split it or not.
    If you are interested in any combination of parts let me know it may aid my decision making.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stooge-mk1-custom-sugar-skull-wrapped-forks-nice-build-hopemiddleburn-etc#post-8306805

Pics here: https://goo.gl/photos/VPeS1331mEdB7b6F9

funkmasterp

Thanks Spectabilis I’ll take a look.

ajantom

I’ll put a vote in for the Vagabond. Very versatile bike, capable off-road, comfy for long bridleway and backlane bimbles, and with road tyres on it doubles up as a very comfy all day road-rider.

I’d see the Stooge as a bit more offroad orientated. Still a great bike, but less of the proper all-rounder that the Vagabond is.

funkmasterp

The Vagabond does seem like the more all round package. Anything else worth considering?

spectabilis
    Free Member

The Vagabond will likely be the better choice for commuting but I found the Stooge a lot better on roads than I expected especially being setup 29+, I commuted on it 50/50 Woodland-Farm track/road 8miles a day for over a year.

Take it off road and it will run rings around the Vagabond so IMO the Stooge would be the better all rounder.

So many ways to build the Stooge yet mine has done everything from the commute to Antur Stiniog without much more than adjusting the saddle height.

I’m getting rid of mine now but I’ll be building another in the near future, I’m completely sold on the Stooge ethos.
    If you’re thinking of something a little more mild mannered than the Stooge then maybe take a look at the Swift from Singular.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help me decide – Stooge or Vagabond’ is closed to new replies.