Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 119 total)
  • Help me craft a text message response to my boss (& needed some positive vibes)
  • convert

you’re entitled to one week’s notice pay which will be paid next Friday

He’s been told today, a Friday – he could have told him at the beginning of the week without making any odds. He will get paid for the whole of next week – one weeks notice. If he went in at 0830 on Monday and was dismissed there and then he would still get paid until the Friday. I’m not sure I see your point.

edit – the only thing that is not clear is if he has accrued leave outstanding or is in deficit (i.e. taken more annual leave in the leave year than he has yet earned). Not sure if an employer could claim that back but pretty sure any outstanding has to be paid.

PrinceJohn

The thing is, this is totally out of the blue, no warnings, no problems as far as I was aware

It might take balls, but turning up on Monday as if nothing happened might be a good idea.

No need to make up crap about a stolen phone, if asked just say you didn’t receive the text.

Your boss will then have to sack you face to face and, as everyone on STW knows, people are a lot braver when they aren’t sat in the same room as each other.

He might just offer you some better terms to avoid a scene.

badnewz
    Free Member

Tell him if he really wants to save money he should join WhatsApp.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

It depends really, have you been given the sack because you’re always on holiday.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

This may seem a cowardly way to sack someone but I guess we don’t know how the subordinate/manager usually communicate. Perhaps texting is something they do on a regular basis regarding work and it’s the norm.

Seems bad form though and I wouldn’t do it buy maybe that’s they way they’re used to working.

If you’ve only been there less than a year the you can’t go to a tribunal. So the best course of action is ‘accept & proceed’ unfortunately.

Chin up though and I hope you find something else soon.

craigxxl
    Free Member

“Thank you for ending my employment. I was in the process of wording my notice as I move to your competitor insert name. The information I have gleamed whilst in your employment will now be invaluable as I intend to exploit it to the maximum.
    When your pregnant wife insists on naming the unborn child insert your name please note the look of satisfaction in her eyes, I’m sure you won’t have seen that before.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Just call him and ask if the text is correct, if it is ask him to send you a letter so at least you’ve something in writing for when you sign on the following Monday. Also I’d check that he’s ok to do you a ‘so and so worked here’ type reference if/when needed.

This is the best advice thus far. Be the bigger man. You ain’t gonna keep you’re job, or get a better exit package.
    Your best outcome will be achieved being uber-reasonable and getting honest feedback and the best written reference that you can on the way out the door. If you play it right you’ll be able to go back and work there in the future if you need to .(not that you’d want to)

PrinceJohn

Well, never one to dwell, as much of a shock as this was, I’ve already managed to get a meeting with a competitor, who are looking for someone on a self employed basis for a few months, so that will potentially be a good stop-gap if nothing else.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

That’s not going to happen, he’s been there less than two years so there is absolutely no need to offer more. The OP doesn’t have an come back.

That’s good news PrinceJohn. Out of interest what industry do you work in and what level do you operate at?

tomd
    Free Member

You can thank the Conservatives for increasing the time for dismissing people with no recourse from 1 to 2 years.

Anyway, OP, you’ve been treated badly. The only constructive thing you can do is move on and get a new and better job.

PrinceJohn

I work in Signs, sales & production recently, have done management in the past. But never been confident enough to know if my skills would transfer across into other areas of work.

PrinceJohn

You can thank the Conservatives for increasing the time for dismissing people with no recourse from 1 to 2 years.

Yeah I did think that, annoyingly I was there for 13 months!

jekkyl

Get in touch with your local paper and you too can be that guy pictured with a frown, holding your phone up to the camera while you berate your previous employer for having the audacity to sack you by text, that story will then get picked up the daily fail and then everyone in the country can share your incredulity.

unovolo
    Free Member

2 Pages in and no mention of ‘Bombers’, things must be going downhill.

IMO being sacked by text is a shitty thing to do but as others have said be the bigger man and walk away.

Personally I would put any correspondence by email or letter so its more easily documented and traceable.

Put it down as one of lifes shitty lessons and move on.

BoomBip
    Free Member

Agree with the suggestions to get it in writing so there’s something documented beyond a cowardly and s****y text.

Also, if you need a reference from them, might be worth asking for feedback first on what they thought wasn’t working out.

BoomBip
    Free Member

Get in touch with your local paper and you too can be that guy pictured with a frown, holding your phone up to the camera while you berate your previous employer for having the audacity to sack you by text, that story will then get picked up the daily fail and then everyone in the country can share your incredulity.

😆

…unless of course the OP is unmasked as Mr Tourette

thestabiliser
    Free Member

That’s low, dude.

HHITS.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Phone him and tell him that you have spent this week seeking treatment for tourettes. Follow that up with telling him that you will now be asking for a refund, as actually, you do think he is a **** and hope that he **** off and dies.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“You can thank the Conservatives for increasing the time for dismissing people with no recourse from 1 to 2 years.”

Yeah I did think that, annoyingly I was there for 13 months!

Then they would have just sacked you after 11 months if it was still 1 year.

Old Labour introduced unfair dismissal with a minimum requirement of 6 months, Thatcher increased it to 12 months which New Labour left untouched, then Cameron with help from Nick Clegg increased it to 2 years.

Worth remembering when you hear people amusingly claim that Cameron isn’t as right-wing as Thatcher.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Text him back saying ‘revenge is a dish best served cold. All the best’

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Oh my god – professionally he should not be responsible for staff with a work ethic like that…and as a person he sounds like he’s either an arsehole or lacking self confidence big time….

martinhutch

It might take balls, but turning up on Monday as if nothing happened might be a good idea.

No need to make up crap about a stolen phone, if asked just say you didn’t receive the text.

Your boss will then have to sack you face to face and, as everyone on STW knows, people are a lot braver when they aren’t sat in the same room as each other.

I doubt it, but even working on that basis, there is enjoyment and satisfaction to be had forcing the cowardly shit to face up to his human responsibilities and do it face to face. No need to make a scene, simply express righteous surprise that he would do it by text after more than a year in the job.

Then invite any of your coworkers that you liked down the pub at lunchtime for a farewell drink, thus spreading harmony throughout the team. 😀

nickc

while it might feel like sending a shit-o-gram back is the best option. I’d suggest that a call to organise a exit interview to find out what the score is, and get some feedback, I’d be looking for a bit more money as well, “Given to nature of your comms with me, short notice etc etc”

be the better man about it.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Feedback? Why would you be interested in the views of a twonk like that?

Ring him. Be polite but say it’s a shame he didn’t have the balls to do it properly like a man.

And as for advice earlier on saying you should ‘play the game’; don’t. To many folk are ‘playing the game’ rather than digging in and working hard.

roper
    Free Member

Maybe he got the wrong number?

nickc

Feedback? Why would you be interested in the views of a twonk like that?

The boss has told him that he doesn’t fit…After 13 months? has there been performance reviews? action plans? If this is sudden then yeah, there needs to be information about it. Despite what’s been said up there, while you can “in theory” sack someone like this, if the company in question has a policy on performance, or absence or dismissal, and hasn’t followed it…then you have rights.

At the very least you need to sit in front of said manager and ask those questions.

A weeks pay after 13 months while within the law, will be shredded by a tribunal if there’s been no action from the company beforehand.

toby1

I’d say it was worth speaking to him to ensure it’s definitely the case, expressing your surprise at it. That is if he answers as lets face it, it doesn’t sound like he will.

I’d also ensure all your colleagues know what happened, just so there is no opportuity for him to suggest you didn’t something other than going away for a week only to receive a crappy text message.

I manage people at work and I’d consider it unacceptable to treat anyone that way.

DrP

REply with:
    “This is cumbria police. This message just came in as we were searching a body found at the bottom of a ravine. Do you know the previous owner of this phone. PLease call us immediately to clarify ownership.”

That’ll $hit him up a bit…

DrP

nickc

OP consider action if you’ve had no indication of any performance or grievance issues against you. Did you have any reviews in your probationary period? the standard should be a review at 4 weeks 8 and 12, did those happen? what’s the policy on dismissal, have you asked for a copy of the policy? have you signed a policy handbook? Have you have a annual review? have you had meetings with the manager about performance? were those followed up with a letter and an action plan?

If this has come, as you suggest completely out the blue, then I’d be seriously considering action against the company.

Ask for an exit interview to discuss this, and perhaps a suggestion from you that you’d be happy to come to a settlement of 3 months pay to avoid legal action.

convert

if the company in question has a policy on performance, or absence or dismissal, and hasn’t followed it…then you have rights.

Not in the first two year. No if, buts or maybes.

A weeks pay after 13 months while within the law, will be shredded by a tribunal if there’s been no action from the company beforehand.

It wouldn’t get there. For the reasons above.

Please don’t give the poor lad false hope without knowing what you are talking about.

DezB
    Free Member

Jeez, bit late to the party, but what a low-life piece of turd.

I’d reply with ‘Is this a Joke?’ – yes and I’d insert a swear word in the appropriate position.

thecaptain
    Free Member

“Thanks for the message. I’m disappointed that you think that way about my performance and even more disappointed that you chose to inform me in such a rude manner with no prior warnings. Nevertheless, I wish you all the best for the future.”

You aren’t going to win anything or get any better outcome, so don’t waste any time or effort on it. No response would be just as suitable, but you asked for a response. Sorry to hear the bad news.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Curl one out into a Krispy Kreme Donut box and get it posted to his desk for Monday morning. Oh, and make sure you are there when it gets delivered.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think some people don’t understand that you can be dismissed completely unfairly during the first two years of your employment.

There are some exceptions for example if racism is the motive, but if that was the case in this particular situation presumably the OP being the “incorrect colour” would have been noticed on the first day rather than 13 months later.

seadog101

Like others have said, just go, don’t fight, you can hold your head higher than his on the way out I’m sure. The less than 2 years cut off is true, sadly, current government, AFAIK, changed the law, it used to be 6 months. Is there a track record of this kind of dismissal?

However, I do think that some form of written notice should be received, probably a legal requirement too, I’d be surprised if not. There’s no guarantee that you received the text is there now? Make the spineless bugger do something real.

I would certainly make sure as many of the remaining staff as possible get to know that you were told of this by text, and while on holiday too. This will make all the others look at that boss with as much disdain as they can muster. Small company? Well known locally? Sounds like you need to contact the news desk at the weekly rag….

perchypanther
    Free Member

Don’t be tempted to confuse what you WANT with what you NEED.

You want….. Justice, revenge and a validation of your righteous indignation at being treated so shabbily….. and you are right to want all of these things but the reality is that getting them won’t provide you with what you actually NEED.

You need…… to maximise your chances of getting a new job in the same industry. Which means a reference and an honest assessment of why you didn’t “fit”.

You DON’T NEED…… Prospective employers hearing about how you threw a strop (no matter how well deserved) from your previous boss who is in the same industry and WILL eventually talk to each other.

You Dont need… new employers to remember you as “that guy from the paper who got sacked by text / and subsequently faked his own death / punched his boss / shat in a donut box etc”. Not Cool

You don’t need.. to have to explain in an interview why you’d prefer that they didn’t contact your previous workplace for a reference. No interviewer wants to hear that.

From this point on it should be about the new job. The old one is gone, just make sure that you get what you NEED on the way out.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

FWIW when unfair dismissal was 12 months and pre-mobile phones, I worked ina bar. there was a surprise audit when the manager was on holiday, 2 days after which myself and the head barman got a phone call telling us not to come in that that day as we were sacked due the the audit being short. I’d been there 8 months, the head boy 11. effectively, this is accusing us of theft as we were sacked because of the missing cash (which later turned out to be the manager as he was charged with theft).
    saw a lawyer whose advice was pretty much “tough titty, suck it up” (which someone might have done with some superglue in the door locks), and even the theft accusation was meaningless as there was no written record so no proof.
    So grit your teeth, live with it, move on. Remember them and if you get the chance to do a dirty on them, go ahead, but see what perchyp’s written up there ^^ – it’s good if difficult advice to swallow.

dannyh
    Free Member

Don’t reply, play it cool and just breeze in on Monday as though everything is normal.

See how long it takes for the guy to actually pluck up the courage to have to tell you face to face. Keep up the pretence until you are face to face. Extract maximum squirming from the situation. If HR are present make sure they know that you were sacked by text whilst on holiday. Depending on how good they are, he may get a good dressing down for that.

Maybe also contact a local newspaper – they love stories like this and it may also add a bit of pain.

Bregante

OP, apologies if i’ve missed something as I’ve only scanned the thread but can you be sure that somebody hasn’t accessed his phone and this is just a (very poor taste) wind up by a colleague?

I can think of similar examples by/to former work colleagues who have had unexpectedly had access to a bosses emails.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Help me craft a text message response to my boss (& needed some positive vibes)’ is closed to new replies.