Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Help me choose some tyres please…
  • gonzy
    Free Member

i’ve been looking to get some new 26″ tyres for my AM bike…
    the tyres are for a mix of llandegla and BPW type terrain
    i know the obvious choice is Hans Dampfs and i’ve looked at those in the folding 2.35 guise.
    however i’m also feeling slightly tempted to go for a Conti Der Kaiser 2.5 up front and a Der Baron 2.35 at the rear. i’ve seen a good deal for the these and am seriously tempted to go for them.
    has anyone got any real world experience of the Contis?
    also would a Hans Dampf work as a rear or is it more suited at the front?

thanks in advance

wiggles
    Free Member

Butcher front purgatory rear.

jonnyrockymountain

as wiggles say’s

chrisdw
    Free Member

You do realise the der kaiser and der baron are full on dh tyres? The der kaiser especially will be awful on anything other than downhill. They are huge and very draggy.

Edit: Not to mention, heavy!

honourablegeorge

Der Baron is more of a wet/mud tyre than the Kaiser – if you were mixing, you probably want Baron on the front – that said, both are full on DH tyres.

Specialized Butcher would be a good choice.

poah
    Free Member

bontrager XR4/XR3

number18
    Free Member

You don’t need much grip at Llandegla, it’s so smooth and well kept. I have Maxxis Advantage 2.25 front and rear and they are OTT for Llandegla.

P.S, I love Llandegla, this is in no way a criticism!

coolbeanz
    Free Member

I love good ‘ol tyre wrangling.

This guy proves a point about it all me thinks:

Aaron Gwin

gonzy
    Free Member

thanks for the replies
    just to make things clear i was considering the contis for BPW and antur stiniog where climbing wouldnt be an issue due to the availability of the uplift service.
    i’m aware of the weight of the tyres but i wanted to see if anyone had actually used them as the reviews seems to be quite good. they usually retail for about £40-50 per tyre but i’ve been offered a new pair in the black chilli compound for £40 which makes them a bit of a bargain.
    as for llandegla i use maxxis ignitors or panaracer fire fr’s which are more than adequate but i just fancied a new pair of tyres for that type of terrain and was looking at the hans dampfs as an option.

Northwind

Der Baron is like voodoo in churned up ground, the grip on roots and that is ridiculous- not as good as a spike in really wet stuff obviously but much better on not-spike stuff. Still, not ideal for dry use but if I had to have just one front dh tyre I reckon it’d be a Der Baron. Not quite as good on the rear, doesn’t slide that nicely.

Haven’t used a Kaiser… Doesn’t feel like a logical combo to have Kaiser front, Baron rear though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose some tyres please…’ is closed to new replies.