Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Help me choose between 2 wheelsets please!
  • kevin1911

Right, I ‘need’ a new set of 27.5″ wheels for a Turner Burner.

The choices I have are:

1) Hope Pro II Evo on Nukeproof Generator AM with DT Swiss DB spokes and brass nipples – about £245ish
    2) Superstar Sentinel Rims on Superstar Tesla Evo hubs with Sapim Laser spokes (http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/sentinel-tesla-trail-wheelset.htm) for about £204.

Not sure what the weight of 1) would add up to – I reckon ~1900g. 2) is about 1750g.

Any thoughts/experience/advice (or in the spirit of STW, what else should I be considering?)

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

If you want solid steady superior reliability and assurance of Hope cs then go for the obvious.

If wanting probably problems then second choice.

If looking at factory builds, do not please touch Mavic with a barge pole, honestly, overpriced by a million mile complete crap in the rough.

DT Swiss builds above 1600 models may/will suit nicely, not sure which model mind though.

kevin1911

Do people still have problems with superstar? I’ve had a few sets of their wheels now and have never had a problem. I do quite fancy dinner DT Swiss 1501s but they’re a bit out of my price range

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Kneecap on here has just advertised a set of DTs.
    check ’em out I’d say before committing to S*

chakaping
    Free Member

Superstar tech 4 wheels, 15% off at the moment and they are bomb proof.

Very reliable in my (real life) experience.

richen987
    Free Member

Been running superstar tesla evos on pacenti rims, been faultless for almost 2 years.

Great wheels. Have hope pro 2s on arch as well for comparison, they are also just as good, would say the pick up on the Ss is a bit quicker and they are lighter than the hopes as well.

Wouldn’t go far wrong with either set in my experience, ymmv of course.

kevin1911

Thanks Richen. I looked at the pacenti too… Would probably go for it but they are out of stock of the TL28 rim.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve just changed my Race Face Turbine wheels for a pair of DT M1700’s and I’ve been really pleased with them so far. They’re a bit lighter than the Turbines, much stiffer and have a better pick up. Piece of cake to set up tubeless too.

They’re a bit cheaper from the likes of Rose Bikes.

My Turbines were dirt cheap from CRC in Jan, but I wouldn’t pay full price for them.

moneytrain81
    Free Member

All pre built wheels on superstar have 15% off currently with the code FBWHEELAUG And I have to say I’ve never had a problem with Superstar stuff. Also, free truing for life, 2 year warranty and a crash replacement scheme.

chakaping
    Free Member

A write-up I did on the Tech 4 wheels…
    http://unduro.co.uk/mtb/review-superstar-components-tech-4-wheelset/

I was riding these and my friend was on those Pacenti rims up in Scotland. His rims came off worse in the rocks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose between 2 wheelsets please!’ is closed to new replies.