Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help me choose a road disc wheelset
  • andcarson
    Free Member

Hi all. What’s the consensus on some road disc wheels? I have a max of £300, ideally less.
    Current options are:

Mavic open pro on hope pro 2 in the classifieds
    Fulcrum 5
    Kinesis crosslights

Anything else? Which would you go for?
    They’re for mainly road riding: I’ve got a set for bridleway bashing

Cheers Andrew

MoreCashThanDash

Not sure if Hunt have anything at that price, but they get good reviews.

jimmy

I have the crosslights. They’re not heavy but I think probably weightier than they need to be for pure Road. I’m also interested in what I’ll replace with eventually – I’d like hope hubs on a lightweight, disc-specific rim (ie no braking sidewall). Open pros have a sidewall last I checked, otherwise I’d be all over em.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Mavic open pro on hope pro 2 in the classifieds

These would be good I reckon.

But I’d save up the extra £50 and buy the Hunt wheels. I have been using a set since November; 150 to 200 miles per week; have been faultless. Pretty light, pretty stiff, well built, decent seals, decent QR skewers; only thing I can fault is the freehub sometimes makes a loud noise. I’ve stripped and cleaned it a couple of times and relubed with grease or oil, but it still does it every so often.

Wouldn’t bother with the Kinesis wheels from what I’ve seen.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Infact, get the hopes, just seen the ad; bargain!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Have a look at DT Swiss R23
    Light (1600g-ish), wideish tubeless rims already taped, convertible hubs that are nicely made. Nice skewers/axles too.
    I’ve rattled the crap out of them off road and had no problems.

P20

Novatecs on Pacenti SL25?? It’s the hubs that Hunt use for their wheels. You should be able to build a set for £300
    Is it the Hope Pro2 10spd wheels? If so, I don’t think they’ll take 11spd and if non evo, I don’t think they can be converted

beanum

I’ve just ordered a set of handbuilt wheels from Merlin for about £300. They’re listed as Pro2 hubs on their site but I contacted them in advance and they built them up with Pro4 hubs so I can go 11spd. I went for the basic Mavic 319 disk rim.
    I haven’t got them yet so can’t comment on build or ride quality but I’ve got a Hope/Mavic combo that I ordered from them 10 years or so ago that are still going strong..

bikebouy
    Free Member

At your budget I’d go for Hunt’s or some from 23mm.co.uk

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’d recommend the Hunt Wheels as well.
    I’ve got two sets of road disc wheels that I switch between, some Kinesis Crosslights which are fairly good but from what I’ve seen here a few people have had reliability issues with them. They’re used tubeless with some CX tyres fitted.

Ive also got a set of the Mason X Hunt 4Season disc wheels which I’m using with road tyres. They’re far nicer wheels than the Crosslights, if I had the money I’d just have two sets of these to switch between.
    They’re well worth going over budget for.

beanum

The only problem with the Hunt wheels is that they are taking pre-orders for delivery end of April. When your new frame has been delivered and other components are arriving you just want to get it built… 😀

ransos
    Free Member

Novatecs on Pacenti SL25?? It’s the hubs that Hunt use for their wheels. You should be able to build a set for £300

I have Stans Grails on Novatec hubs with Sapim CX ray spokes. Cost me £370 but would be cheaper with ordinary DB spokes. Built (very well) by this fella: http://www.spokesmanwheels.co.uk/index.html

andcarson
    Free Member

Nice one. I just spoke to thespokesman and can get a great price on Stans/novatec

andyfla
    Free Member

Hope, or your local wheel builder

Spoke to my lbs (lovevelo in derby) and they built me some really nice wheels for far less than the off the shelf variety – I had a dynamo so a bit pricier than you are thinking of

I have heard very good things of hunt though

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose a road disc wheelset’ is closed to new replies.