Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Help me choose a road bike (sorry)
  • cheshirecat
    Free Member

I think I’ve narrowed my choice to the Specialized SL4 Elite Disc and the Trek Emonda S6. They have similar “endurance” geometry, geared for comfort for us older gents.

Specialized
    Trek

Both available for about £1300, both feel really nice to ride. Do hour long road rides at lunchtime for fitness, with the occasional 3 hour ride into Wales.

Trek has Shimano Ultegra (which I’ve had for years and rate highly) and rim brakes; the Specialized has SRAM Rival (which I’ve never used and have no idea about) with hydraulic discs. I’ve been happy with Ultegra rim brakes in the past, but the pull of the discs is strong.

Which would you choose, and any decent alternatives? Advice apprciated – thanks

whisky711
    Free Member

I’d only choose discs over Ultegra rim brakes if I was going to be riding in the wet. They do look good on road bikes though!

therevokid
    Free Member

i thought giant defy was the default response around these parts 😉

globalti
    Free Member

The Roubaix SL4 is an excellent bike with really sure handling an a nice zingy frame compared with its predecessor the SL3. Can’t comment on the Trek though. Can’t you test-ride them?

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Ridden both, both excellent. Hence the quandry

whisky711
    Free Member

Go for the lightest one and/or the one in the nicest colour.

Spud

And Ultegra is one up from Rival in groupset levels. Ultegra = Force in SRAM. Personally I like SRAM groupos, and the Emonda is a lovely looking bike.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just had two weeks hammering an Emonda S6 hire bike. Seemed a very competent all rounder. Other than being a bit tall for me I didn’t have anything to complain about.

timb34
    Free Member

Nice choice to have!

From the marketing descriptions, they’re not quite the same type of bike – the Roubaix is orientated more towards longer endurance riding over dodgy surfaces and th Emonda is more for faster rides and climbing. Although I’m sure either would do really well for the type of riding you describe.

I think the Emonda looks nicer, and would probably be ideal for the majority of your riding (1hr lunchtime rides). Appears to have tubeless ready rims too, which could help if you’re feeling a bit beaten up on longer rides, although don’t most Bontrager “tubeless-ready” rims need their special rimstrips?

I guess the choice comes down to which you prefer the look of, and how much you want to have discs.

jam-bo

Red. Red is fastest.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose a road bike (sorry)’ is closed to new replies.