Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Help me choose…
  • Clink

After ss/geared 29er frame to compliment my ss jabberwocky
    Will probably build as 1×9 but want options to ‘swing’ (so to speak! :D)either way. Will run with sus forks for longer rides.

Want something close to the jabberwocky geometry.

Options are:
    1. Dave Yates 853 sliding dropouts £950
    2. Van Nicholas custom Zion 29er (with larger ebb shell to go with the new Niner ebb) £1049
    3. Burls custom ti, sliding dropouts £1100
    4. On-on ti 29er £1184.26 (!)
    5. Niner SIR 9 £799

Any thoughts? Or just stick forks and gears on the jabberwocky and save £££!

Clink

someone must have a view? its doing my head in!

soma_rich
    Free Member

If it where me I would get a Dave Yates

Clink

I know – the only prob with the DY is the wait – 14 weeks a the moment.

Stoner
    Free Member

clink – you’ve been chewing over this one for months waiting 14wks for Yates isnt going to make much difference now! 🙂

whatabout a Voodoo Zaka..
    http://sidewayscycles.co.uk/products/index.php?id=782&clid=18

Clink

looked at Zaka before and spoken to Tim – don’t think he can get stock though. How you getting on with your ti 29er?

Stoner
    Free Member

not been on it since I got back from france – struck down by snot.

Building some SS wheels for it tomorrow though and going to run it rigid for a while to get a better feel for the frame as I still dont think the USE Subs are doing the frame justice. It was still a great thing to be riding around the Pyrenees though.

Clink

I’m building me steel on-one up at the weekend which might help my decision process.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

I’d go for the Van Nicholas if it were me. The bike you saw in our lounge was my Airborne (now Van Nicholas) and it’s beautiful, I love everything about it!

Not the most informed opinion admittedly, but they are lovely frames (shame it has an ebb though!)

Given the ebb, I’d be tempted by the Burls. Definitely wouldn’t go the On-one – heard some less than inspiring things about them. Nothing bad, I’d just want something more if I were parting with that much cash – I’d want something I’d LOVE!

(Btw, I guessing you don’t want the cranks so shall I just pop the Seatpost and stem in the post for you?)

soma_rich
    Free Member

Just to balance the opinion I hated my Airborne Lancaster I much prefer a nice steel frame.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Interesting! Mine’s a Black Widow frame so pretty different – soma_rich’s opinion is therefore probably A LOT more valid than mine! (It is pretty though, isn’t it?!)

Clink

MountainMonkey – yes to stem/post please – I sent you a mail last night.

Whats the ‘less than inspiring thinks’ about the O-O then?

Stoner
    Free Member

Whats the ‘less than inspiring thinks’ about the O-O then

yes, do tell 🙂

Clink

Just to say communication from Van NIcholas, and also Terry at Leisure Lakes (VN stockists), about a custom frame has been brilliant. It is certainly worth talking to them if you are fater a custom ti frame.

The new Niner EBB is different and would appear to be an improvemnet.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=474924

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Well, it’s a personal thing, but for me they’re nothing that special… a lot of people have them and their design doesn’t do much for me. Personally, I’m not a big of On-one geometry either (but that is very personal). I guess for that much money I’d want something a bit unusual – again personally I’d also want something with a more springy flexy ride. I guess I find them, a bit well, ordinary…

Controversial stuff I know! Before you jump down my throat though – it really is only a personal opinion! And people like different bikes! (Plus, I do have a beautiful flexy ti bike, which fits me perfectly to compare all other bike with!)

For me a custom build from VN or similar would be a lot more special…

Btw, thanks for all the wheel advice Stoner! Oh and Clink, I’ll pop the stem and the seatpost in the post tomorrow. (Have you paid me for the seatpost yet?)

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Dont vassago still make the Optimus Ti? that would be nice, cant remember if it is ss specific tho.

Stoner
    Free Member

my pleasure.

BTW are you comments specifically about the on-one Ti29er or the steel/aluminium models?

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

On-one ti – but not 29er as I have no personal experience of it. Assuming the frame are similar (which might be a wrong assumption!) I think the comments I’ve heard would still apply. “hard to keep the front down climbing”, “not any more flexy at the rear than 853”, “odd head angle” etc, etc. To be fair though, they are very personal things – and your forks can effect the head angle and climbing things a lot – and I think those I’ve spoken to have been running longer travel suss forks, which I guess you wouldn’t do on a purist 29er. Plus the whole flex thing is very personal too – if it’s stiffer I guess the power transfer is better so courses for horses I guess… is that fair?!

…The more I go on, the less qualified I feel to have an opinion! It’s all hearsay really?! Who knows til you try one?! 😀

Clink

Swiftacular – the optimus ti looks fab and I was on the list for one, but they can’t seem to decide if they are doing a new batch and the price has gone to $1995 (£1383) plus shipping, duty, VAT.

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

Not sure its what your after but Chumba racing do a nice new 29er called the HX2 i think.

Clink

uurgh – aluminium 🙁

Thanks for the suggestion though!

the_pilot
    Free Member

Having had the Soda and currently Ti456, I would agree very personal, TI456 much stiffer. Don’t know about the climbing thing, I have 150 DT swiss on, which are the same axle to crown as a typical 140 and it climbs great, to the degree I don’t bother dropping the forks to 110. I think climbing has alot to do with technique! It’s certainly not wandery.

I am going to go wih the Sir 9 I think….

Clink

I am going to go wih the Sir 9 I think….

My thinking too – have enquired about ordering a SIR 9, but have not heard anything back. My mind how started wandering again (!!!!) and its currently sitting back with the O-O ti 29er. Have also thought about the Lynskey Pro 29 on CRC which ticks all the boxes (ss/gear) but mucho ££££££££.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Help me choose…’ is closed to new replies.