Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Help me buy some closed back headphones for under £50
  • pinches
    Free Member

well i admit, i know nothing about headphones, apart from i hate the ones i've got because:

they sit "on" your ears, not over
    they have horrible foam covers
    the sound quality is awful.

I would like some over ear style ones with a 3.5mm jack and vinyl/leather covers. I've seen various sennheiser/skullcandy/sony offerings but they all look the same to me.

Anyone any experience with headphones like this about £50?

ta!

handyman153
    Free Member

Pinches,
    I have got some Bang & Olufsen ones, like this LINK and they are great. You can probably get some of the same quality for cheaper, but i liked the name…

Anyway, they are about £90 new, but you can get 'fake' versions on ebay for about £50. They are built pretty much the same, but just with an normal quality speaker in them.
    I was mostly impressed by the way they fitted, so the 'fake' ones would probs be just as good.

Hope that helps
    Cheers
    Josh…

audiophile
    Free Member

Are you using them for an Ipod or home system? For Ipod, Sennheiser PX200 are the best I've ever had. RRP £50 but sure you'll get them cheaper online. They've had 3 years hard use and hamfistedness and are still going strong. For home use, Grado are hard to beat, Beyerdynamic Galactics are a quality set as well. Most of them on your budget are designed for portables, so come with smaller jack, they all come with an adaptor though. If you go to a decent shop, they'll let you take your own CD's and listen yourself, trust your own ears. Bear in mind though, that like a car all audio equipment has a run in period and will sound better after about 30-100 hours use, depending on component.

pinches
    Free Member

I use them mostly straight from my laptop, or iPhone. Sometimes from an amp in my room, but not very often.

I had just been looking at the PX200s but on amazon they seem to have some quite terrible reviews compared to the PX100s although the 200s are on amazon for about £35.

I do like quite alot of depth in my music, so i like to have a good audible range of bass/mid/treble.

feenster
    Free Member

Pal of mine runs an online headphone business..http://www.soundwise.co.uk/

Gets them from factories in Asia etc and sells direct here, so really got prices compared to known brands, and I can vouch for quality.

I've got these , and these. Love them both.

He's really good about refunds etc, so nothing to loose trying them.

audiophile
    Free Member

Only difference between the two models is that 100's are open back and the 200's are closed. Open will give a cleaner, more natural sound. The closed back increases bass response and cuts down on outside noise. I went for the 200's as I like to seal myself away when on public transport, you may not need this if you're listening at home.
    Coming at it from a different angle, how about a new soundcard in the computer, a change in the front end of a system will make a much bigger difference to overall sound quality. Better headphones may just show you how bad the card is. For your Iphone, up the upload quality to 330kps to improve quality.
    If you're going for 'phones, maybe try the Galactics, I really enjoyed these until the Pennine Way destroyed them.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I just got Sony V150's they are cheap as chips and flesh out the very thin, tiresome sound of my ipod.

At home I use HD600's and an Earmax pro so I have a good frame of reference and I think the Sony's are a bargain.

pinches
    Free Member

yeah i normally listen to my laptop through a Denon amp and got my music on my phone at 220 curently. I normally just use earbuds when i'm out or riding.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Closed headphones are the work of the devil, try before you buy!

pinches
    Free Member

i don't really know the difference?

Jolsa

I have AKG K81DJ headphones and think they're ace. Paid £35 or so.
    http://www.djsoundkit.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=HR146

AKG then changed the colour scheme and rebranded them the K518DJ but as far as I know they're the same guts.

User review of K81DJ on avforums.com

pinches
    Free Member

i was literally just looking at those.

Seen another pair of AKGs i like K450s.

I'll shop around a bit see what i can find.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Help me buy some closed back headphones for under £50’ is closed to new replies.