Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Help Laptop wont boot up
  • shredder
    Free Member

Froze in internet explorer, only way I could turn off was by holding down power button. When re-started goes to screen asking if I would like to start Windows normaly, start in safemode,start from last know good configuration etc etc. Each option results in the system trying to boot but reverting back to the start options page.

Help please
    Thanks
    Rich

chvck
    Free Member

This won't be useful but I'd say it's broken. I'd say windows is pretty borked!

You could try stick the windows disc in and do a repair but that's never worked for anything for me!

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Have you tried holding the F5 key down as it starts up ? Not sure this works on Laptops but should default into safe mode, hopefully allowing you to rectify this issue you have.
    Other than this, check your keypad for any sticking keys.. etc.

shredder
    Free Member

Will try F5, also it came with Windows pre-installed ie no disc.

cranberry
    Free Member

Start up with boot logging ~( or whatever it is called ) then post up the last item that it loads before going titsup.

shredder
    Free Member

Starting in safe mode the last line/item it hangs at is;

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys

Ive read that if I can get hold of a Windows XP installation disc, I can load and go into repair mode. The only thing is I have read that this can sometimes wipe everything. I dont care if I have to throw the laptop away, I just need to recover some family photos which I hadn't had chanc e to back up on an external drive.

Thanks
    Rich

cranberry
    Free Member

I just need to recover some family photos which I hadn't had chanc e to back up on an external drive.

Why do people not back up their data?

In order to get the data off, work out whether you have a SATA or IDE drive installed in the laptop, and then buy a 2.5" HDD enclosure like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46678&&source=14&doy=Search

Remove the drive from the laptop, and install it in the enclosure, then attach the unit to another computer. You should then be able to copy the files off the drive.
    After that I would suggest that you buy another hard drive, fit it in the laptop and install a new OS on it. Then you can use the current one for the backups you should have already been making.

amosridl
    Free Member

Sounds like you need to run repair mode. Grab a Windows disk make sure your cd drive is selected first in boot order, and when setup runs press r to repair.

Or if you can get to a prompt run good old chkdsk c: /f /r

This usually sorts a lot of the just downright silly windows errors usually associated with not shutting down properly or batteries running out mid session, but worth a pop on yours too.

if this doesn't work.. kick the sh*t out of it and go in a mood. Works for me.

shredder
    Free Member

Thanks some good advice here, I do back up photos but had just loaded the latest batch on then it died. Without sounding daft how do I find out the type of drive I had in the laptop – google the model for drive specs ?

Thanks

Have now discovered it has a SATA drive, is it super complicated to remove the drive ? and install in the enclosure ?

cranberry
    Free Member

No, it's not complicated – a couple of screws to remove the drive from the laptop, and ( possibly ) a couple more to secure it in the enclosure.

shredder
    Free Member

Thanks cranberry, looking at the back it would appear I have to the whole rear of the case off. The laptop is a Vaio (rubbish) I know certain machines you can just in a manner of speaking remove a flap to gain access to the drive.

Thanks

curiousorange
    Free Member

possible solutions for the mup.sys issue:

ESCD corruption, Try resetting ESCD and/or changing ACPI setting in the BIOS. If there is no specific way to reset the ESCD data via the BIOS you can force this by reflashing.

If you have USB devices connected, including any hubs, try removing them all before you boot

If you have devices connected to the serial or parallel ports, Try disconnecting them, again before you boot

Try booting with as minimal a system you can. Remember to disconnect optical and floppy drives. Also, try using a non-USB kybd and a
    regular ball mouse that plugs into the PS\2 port in place of an optical USB type

see THIS PAGE for instructions on restoring the registry and also for instruction on how to run checkdsk from the console.

Good Luck!

shredder
    Free Member

Have now found that by pressing F10 this brings up the laptops own inbuilt system restore. This has two functions a scan which checks for hardware issues. Having now run this no faults were found. Which seems to confirm the point that this sounds like a OS fault. The other function is to wipe/restore the system with this comes the disclaimer that all files etc will be formated. So I think it's back to remove the drive extract the files I need. Re-install the drive and then format back to factory.

Could somebody confirm that my train of thought is correct.

If so now need to try and work out how to get the hard drive out!!

Thanks
    Rich

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Mac

(ducks)

😉

Drac

On my old Vaio it was a case of removing one of the covers on the rear and then it was visible. I used a cheap IDE, SATA to usb converter from ebay which did the trick grand for recovering files.

cranberry
    Free Member

Yes, you should be able to do that Shredder.

As for removing the drive, google for "remove hard drive vaio xxxx" ( whatever your model is ) and you should find some instructions on the net.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Help Laptop wont boot up’ is closed to new replies.