Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Help, just smashed the screen on iPhone 4s…
  • loddrik
    Free Member

What do I do now? Apple surely gonna charge through the nose, what other options are there?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Android?

or google screen replacement

CountZero

Easy to replace. Girl at work has had a collegue replace her 3Gs screen three times so far, he just sits at his desk and does it. There are plenty of high street places that do it, or you can just buy a new screen off of the interwebz and do it yourself. It’s not a big problem.

peteimpreza

Claim on your household contents insurance? You do have accidental damage cover don’t you?

petrieboy

youtube and ebay – its very cery easy.

Cougar

“Surely”? Find out, don’t guess. Apple’s after-sales care is legendary.

CountZero

Hardly worth claiming on insurance for something that costs peanuts to put right. 🙄
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=iphone+4+screen+replacement

PiknMix
    Free Member

Easy peasy techno weeney

mikewsmith
    Free Member

careful no to let the magic out

wrightyson
    Free Member

Same way as I’ve advised others on this before, find nearest apple store book an appointment tell them the problem and go down there. Be nice, say you are gutted etc. Three out of three I know (sis in law, bosses wife and a lad at work) have all had it replaced there and then for free.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

IIRC your in Liverpool? (I brought some brakes off you) there’s a guy in Liverpool Market who replaces screens for £30. He did my girlfriends and it’s been fine, although apple said it wouldn’t be a good quality screen and wouldn’t be very sensitive (it’s been fine) We took a gamble as £30 was much less than the excess on insurance.

Drac

Even if Apple do charge it’s about £130 for a replacement phone, cheaper than insurance but more expensive than a 3rd party screen.

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced the home button on my iPhone 4. That required removing the screen/digitiser.
    If you’re confident, clean and methodical, it isn’t difficult. But, there are numerous opportunities to destroy your phone…
    There are good tutorials on Ytube. Genuine replacement parts aren’t expensive either.

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

Get yourself a Lifeproof Case too. Much protection and fully waterproof too.

chomp
    Free Member

Go into an apple store and tell them what happened

Got plenty of colleagues who’ve done this and had it replaced free of charge

One even dropped his down the shitter, took it in and told them (while still wet) and they swapped it there and then

It’s hit and miss though, I wanted some crap removed from under my iPhone screen and they wouldn’t do anything, this even as I was purchasing about 5k’s worth of stuff from them (on the company cc)

It’s definitely worth trying

ski
    Free Member

I booked mine in with a apple repair centre, 9 months old, nice lady at apple swapped it for free! Said apple understand these things can happen and as a goodwill will exchange for free!

Worth a try if you have a local apple repair centre?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

get a scally to nick anew one for you?

footflaps

Apple service is superb, GF washed my (well her) £500 iPhone 4, completely killing it. She took it into the store, and they offered her a brand new replacement one for £113.

thehustler
    Free Member

who do you bank with, lloyds tsb current account has mobile insurance and replaced mine for £35, was front and back of my phone too

scottyjohn
    Free Member

I sat next to a girl at the genius bar with a cracked screen and they swapped for a new phone no bother.

loddrik
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice chaps. Android a definite no no. Looked at the guides on how to replace it myself and there’s no way I could even get to step 5 without **** it up. Think I’d probably want the best quality screen I could and priced seem to be £70-80, but as apple charge £120 for a brand new phone, whilst still ridiculous for a damaged screen, I think I’d rather get a new phone for not much more. Best of a bad situation I guess.

sobriety
    Free Member

Have go, you can’t **** it up any worse. My collegue has just entirely stripped, dried out and replaced a multitude of parts to fix a toiletted (to the point where it still smells faintly of piss when it gets hot) 4s for a lot less than £120.

Edit: How is an irish swearword used in a newspaper ad filtered, yet piss still gets through. Humph.

Grant_Richards
    Free Member

You’ll find the 70-80 quid screens are just the same as the £30 jobs on ebay in a lot of cases, apple dont make the screens available OEM afaik.
    I’d apple store it, if no freebie swap get someone to swap the screen out for you.

loddrik
    Free Member

So if I try to do it myself and **** it up, can I still take it to the apple store and get a replacement for £120?

Cougar

I do wonder sometimes if I’m typing too quickly.

No disassemble Number 5. Take it to Apple. They’ll probably fix it for you for free if you ask nicely.

lord
    Free Member

got mine changed for free , book an appointment and be glad you bought apple 🙂

transapp
    Free Member

If you want it as good as new, it’s apple store. You’ll be lucky to get it free though. I paid the money, I’ve now got a scratch free phone as well.

PePPeR

Wish I’d known about Apple customer care when I got my iPhone 4.

First day of ownership I dropped it and cracked the top left hand corner of the screen, I cried!

On realising it wasn’t quite the end of the world, I figured that I’d be sure to break something else on it and would get it all fixed at the same time, now I’m put of contract and it’s still working well!

First phone I’ve ever had run out of contract and don’t fancy anything else to replace it!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Flog it on eBay. There are loads, and I mean loads of broken iPhones. They fetch reasonable money too,

My 3G went there when the tiniest bit of water zapped it? Got nearly £90 for the thing a years or so ago.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Help, just smashed the screen on iPhone 4s…’ is closed to new replies.