Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • help – jump starting an 08 reg diesel Passat
  • surfdad
    Free Member

Managed to drain the battery using one of those electric cool boxes plugged in whilst stationary with the engine off. Doh.
    Getting dashboard lights and the electric key works but just lots of clicking when trying to turn the ignition on. And when it’s connected up to jump leads from a friends Citroen it’s exactly the same.
    Any tips? What have I missed?
    Cheers

Suggsey
    Free Member

Just connect up the leads and leave it five minutes with the Citroen putting a charge into your battery, then get the Citroen running at 3000rpm then try starting yours.

Suggsey
    Free Member

If you are really unlucky and you have toasted your battery, it may be time for a new one and they’re huge and heavy to lift in to their slot!

rickmeister

as an aside… if the electrics are working, can you tow start a diesel ?

surfdad
    Free Member

@suggsey – tried leaving it a while and with high revs … Hope I’ve not toasted the battery …

@rickmeister
    – was thinking of bump starting it down the hill but haven’t done that for years!
    Could always give in and call the breakdown I pay for and never use!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Go with the breakdown call, you can bump start them, but they’re heavy to push, if you get it rolling drop it in third rather than 2nd and the anti stall should kick in when it starts a and takes off!

steveh

If you have or know anyone with a spare battery (not in car) jump leads direct to that works much better than off an engine.

garage-dweller

Real risk of deceased battery. You could leave on trickle charge for a few hours if you have electric power source and see if it goes.

whatgoesup

Try disconnecting your battery before jump starting – it’s quite possible (and quite likley) that your battery is very dead and the juice from the car you’re jump starting from is actually shorting through the your battery rather than through your starter system.

EDIT – if that works it means your battery is likely dead and hence needs replacing. Worth testing it / trying to charge it first if it’s not too old I guess

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘help – jump starting an 08 reg diesel Passat’ is closed to new replies.