Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • help I've nearly got a grand….
  • sefton
    Free Member

ok I’ll have a grand soon.

heres my dilemma.

I have a 120mm FS xc/trail bike which is great.

I also have a PX SL road bike which is great.

I have a rocklobster frame and some 100mm sids.

I fancy a cx bike to get some training in over the winter when conditions are crap for the road bike and I cant be bothered cleaning my FS bike. I also like the idea that I could combine both road and trails on a CX bike.

now with a grand I could get a entry level CX bike (uncle John for example)

or

I could build the rocklobster up with good spec (probably weighing in under 23lb)

If I build the Rocklobster up I could throw on some light wheels that I could also use on my FS bike too.

But the CX bike appeals to me as I could get it covered in crap and not have to worry as much about keeping it clean.

what do the wise men of STW think?

vdubber67
    Free Member

Singlespeed the Rock Lobster for winter. Cost you a lot less than a grand too.

flip
    Free Member

I fancy a cx bike to get some training in over the winter when conditions are crap for the road bike and I cant be bothered cleaning my FS bike.

Do CX bikes clean themselves?

Buy one you won’t regret it 😉

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Sounds like you have your heart set on a CX bike. Why not sell the Rock Lobster to get a bigger budget towards a CX bike?

sefton
    Free Member

I’ll probably only get £200 for the fork & frame.

I could build a great xc hardtail but I do want a cx bike (but I’ve never actually rode a cx bike)

Pieface
    vinnyeh

But the CX bike appeals to me as I could get it covered in crap and not have to worry as much about keeping it clean.

Componentwise, a CX bike is really no more durable than a road bike. If you don’t clean and maintain it, it really won’t work very well.

Mackem

Stick a rigid fork and Alfine hub gears on the lobster, low maintenance, great for the winter.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘help I've nearly got a grand….’ is closed to new replies.