Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help improve my 24AA DIY light battery madness.
  • Wally

Built a couple of triple Crees couple of years ago from scratch, loads of epoxy and twisted aluminium later the light units are OK for a beginner.
    However, I am using 2 sets of 12 AA’s 1700mAh rechargeables wired to a 1amp buckpuck in an ABS box with female connector glued to the side. Two of these boxes strapped under your saddle is a little heavy and ungainly. Any advice?

mboy
    Free Member

Yeah, buy some 3000mah AA's instead, and use just 12 of them instead of 24! You're only going to lose out on 10% or therabouts of total capacity, but your battery will now be half the size and weight.

Wally

I need the volts. Run time is fine.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

triple cree needs under 12 v even with a buck puck – or are you running two triples in series? Use a buckpuck for each triple then you can run them in parallel so would only need 12 v sp 12 AAs would do.

Smudge on here is the battery man

mboy
    Free Member

I need the volts. Run time is fine.

Eh?

Presumably running all 6 LED's in series then?

Try running them 3 series 2 parallel and you'd get away with a 14.4V supply I suspect.

Struggling to think of another bike light that NEEDS 28.8V right now. My Seoul P7 bike light runs on 3.7V Li-ion cells, albeit 3 in parallel for increased run times…

Wally

run them separate, each with 15V approx.
    I prefer it this way, if one set fails then you are still OK.

mboy
    Free Member

I prefer it this way, if one set fails then you are still OK.

Well I think you've just answered/contradicted yourself there in that case!

There's a simple way to slimline your system… Buy 12 new High capacity AA's!

kinda666
    Free Member

4 18650 batteries and a holder from turboferret?? X2?

Wally

whoops , just looked at them, they are 2700mAh. So no quick upgrade there.
    Are you suggesting
    batteries to switch to buckpuck then to triple and then another triple.
    Would the buckpuck be able to carry the current to the two triples?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Help improve my 24AA DIY light battery madness.’ is closed to new replies.