Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help, I'm looking for a free office.
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Where is the best place to go for [/i]free wi-fi access? McDonalds? Starbucks? Anywhere else?
    Obviously I’m happy to buy a coffee or whatever, but which coffee bar/restaurant will be happy to let me use their wi-fi for extended periods?
    In Spain both McDonalds and VIPS would even allow me to connect to the mains, but I wouldn’t expect that here… 🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

what do you need to use the wifi for?

I tend to just use my iphone as a 3G modem if I’m out and about (extremely easy to pair with both my work laptop which is running windows and my own MBP)

Obviously, if you’re going to be up/downloading lots of data, wifi might be better (providing you get a good, unrestricted connection!)

poly
    Free Member

Many local cafe’s and pubs will have free wifi. I’ve certainly plugged in discretely in some. Obviously you don’t want trailing cables around the place. I wouldn’t expect to be too welcome if you go in everyday for several hours and just have a coffee though. It needs some common sense – if you are “hogging a table” in a busy place then you are definitely taking the piss. There’s probably an App that will guide you to your nearest free wifi spot. Or have a look here: http://www.business-anywhere.co.uk/

donsimon
    Free Member

I tend to just use my iphone as a 3G modem if I’m out and about (extremely easy to pair with both my work laptop which is running windows and my own MBP)

Because I don’t have either a 3g phone or a mobile modem here, these are things for the future but no point yet if there is a free alternative.
    Second point is McDonalds etc have tables to work from.
    Third point is more a cultural question regarding the attitude towards extended stays.
    Thanks poly, common sense is obvious, I just wasn’t sure on how it would be received at any time.

geoffj

The problem I find when I do this is the noise. The general tittle tattle of the great unwashed + piped muzak tends to reduce productivity to surfing on here levels 😯 OK if you need to make calls, but for thinking/writing/researching then the library is a better proposition IME.

peterfile
    Free Member

no point yet if there is a free alternative.

Is this just a one off today? If so then the comments below are not relevant. However if you plan to do this fairly regularly:

It’s not really free at all.

You can’t rock up to a cafe somewhere and park yourself at a table for 6 hours and only buy a coffee.

Even if you bought 3 coffees, that’s still about £6, more than the cost of running a mobile broadband connection for the day.

geoffj

Top tip for cafe hogging, is to get the coffee in a takeaway cup with a lid on, then they can’t see if its finished or not!

donsimon
    Free Member

You can’t rock up to a cafe somewhere and park yourself at a table for 6 hours and only buy a coffee.

That’s moving to a bit of an extreme, no?
    If the cafe is empty, why would a couple of hours with a coffee be a problem?
    Obviously if the cafe is popular, then common sense would prevail.
    If it’s regular, do you think I’d be sitting in the same cafe day after day?

Even if you bought 3 coffees, that’s still about £6, more than the cost of running a mobile broadband connection for the day.

Good point and worth looking at, as would PAYG mobile, as it wouldn’t be every day.
    Library would be a good call except I’d need to be making/receiving calls too.
    Thanks all, I don’t really see a problem with it. 😀

Nice tag, tagger, I see you can both read and understand thread titles. The education system DOES work. Yay!

peterfile
    Free Member

That’s moving to a bit of an extreme, no?
    If the cafe is empty, why would a couple of hours with a coffee be a problem?
    Obviously if the cafe is popular, then common sense would prevail.
    If it’s regular, do you think I’d be sitting in the same cafe day after day?

Sorry, was just trying to highlight the problems I often run into when working remotely (e.g. a 2 hour job/call turns into something much longer and is time critical, so don’t really want to have to move).

In all seriousness though, I always seem to end up with little change from £10 when work from a cafe. It’s amazing how easily I give into “another coffee sir?” when I’m trying to work and a little embarassed at sitting in their cafe with nothing in front of me!

Good point and worth looking at, as would PAYG mobile, as it wouldn’t be every day.
    Library would be a good call except I’d need to be making/receiving calls too.

Have a look on ebay for mobile dongles (3 do a pretty good PAYG deal), you should be able to pick one up for a few quid. Then you can stick in a £10 top up which will last 30 days and just carry it around with your laptop, so if you ever need internet access you’ve got it, regardless of where you are (provided you have reception though i suppose!).

Many city libraries have “working” areas/rooms, you could call and check with the ones you will be near.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Don Simon are you in Chester? (am I right in thinking that?) if so I used the Oaklands/hungry horse in Hoole when I was in the same situation, you can plug in, make calls and it’s a bit quieter than city centre. The staff were fine with me using it reguarly too.

wingnuts

Of all the chains I use Costa and they have been very welcoming (at many sites). Plugged in for power and been there for hours, with regular coffee/cake intake. (once an hour perhaps)

In London I joined the Tate galleries some years ago. (About £80 a year) This allows me and a guest to use there members lounge (also in Liverpool and St Ives) These are excellent venues and value.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help, I'm looking for a free office.’ is closed to new replies.