Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Help, I'm falling out of love with 29ers
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a Thumper for a few years and there’s no doubt it’s a capable bike (born out of one of the first aggro 29er FS’s, the Kona Satori) but I’m finding its weight (32lbs) and weak rear wheel (no boost, 28H job) is making me want to go lightish 27.5.

I’ve never tried 27.5 so I’m interested in any case, but will I regret it? I like general trail riding with the emphasis on enjoying the downhills.

plus-one

I had 2 29ers and they were ok but not to my liking. Got 27.5 and the trails came alive again 😆

sillyoldman

Replacing the rear wheel with something up to the task would be a lot cheaper? 32H with a decent DT or Stans rim?

hodgynd
    Free Member

I’ve only ever tried one 29’er ..a Santa Cruz Tallboy and thought it handled like a barge ( and I’m a fan of the brand ).
    I went from a 26″ Nomad to a 27.5″ T130 ..and it rekindled my enthusiasm ..why don’t you hire one for a day to see what you think ..

Bagstard
    Free Member

650B rear wheel?

mrhoppy

I had a codiene 29er, it got stolen I replaced it with a Canyon Spectral 650b. It was ok but I rode it wishing I was on bigger wheels, eventually jacked it in for a Remedy 29er. I wouldn’t go back now.

damascus
    Free Member

You haven’t fallen out with 29ers,youve fallout of love with your 29er.

Buy a more modern 2nd hand 29er frame and transfer the bits over and buy some stronger lighter wheels.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Interesting.

I’ve recently replaced 2 old 26″ frames with a 650b 5010 for trail riding & a 29″ Top Fuel for XC racing.

Now I’m sure I’ll get used to the Fuel in time….but I vastly prefer the 650b. To me, it has the right balance of both 26 & 29″.

There’s no 2 ways about it, the Fuel is fast…..but it lacks the agility of a bike with smaller wheels. 650b strikes me as being a good compromise.

chakaping
    Free Member

650B rear wheel?

Try this, I’ve even tested it for you…

Behold the Frankenthumper (aka Project 279)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wheel size is last of the things I really look at these days. Good bikes are good bikes. Try some and don’t get sucked into the x is for you bs.

Stupid.is
    Free Member

What mikewsmith say, go try some and find out. You might be surprised.

I swapped from an old 29er Camber to a 650B Stumpy and was very surprised on how nice it felt over different conditions etc. I put it down to the collective improvements in Suspension tech, materials, geo (including wheel size) and new bike syndrome!

fasthaggis

Good bikes are good bikes. Try some and don’t get sucked into the x is for you bs.

or go to a hypnotist and save on buying a new bike 😉

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

650b strikes me as being a good compromise.

This is what I’m thinking.

chrismac

I have had both and decided I prefer 650b. Im sure 29er is faster but they feel a bit steamrollerish and took some of the fun away

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have had both and decided I prefer 650b.

all of them 😉
    How did you sum up the thousands of 26″ bikes as one thing?

Northwind

Maybe a different frame that isn’t a cut-n-shut ripoff of an old Kona? (I know Hammerhead claim it’s all done with permission but Kona say no)

I ended up quite unexpectedly on a remedy 29 and it’s no featherweight- something like 30lbs with proper tyres and solid working kit all over- but tbh an equivalent build with 650b would only be a lb or so lighter I think, wheel size doesn’t really define that, purpose and build does. But it’s a class allrounder- with faster tyres on it’ll trailcentre bash or do pentlands grinds very nicely, if I throw in the other wheels I’m almost as happy on it on dh trails as I was with the old dh bike. Best trailbike I’ve owned, and best alps bike, and best enduro bike. At the same time, it is 29erey- big and long and unstoppable, not “flickable” or wild ridey

DezB
    Free Member

27.5? A compromise between 29ers and 26ers?? Who’d a thunk it!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

26″ bikes like all they were good for was…

ahwiles
    Free Member

…weak rear wheel…

get your rear wheel build with an offset rim?

although, it does just sound like you want a new bike, which is as good a reason as any to buy a new bike…

zippykona

I loved 29ers for years then I rode my 26 and quite enjoyed it.
    That freed my thinking and I bought a 27.5.
    The only real difference is that a 29er is better up big steps and the 27.5 steers quicker but the 27.5 is 5 years newer.

mboy
    Free Member

although, it does just sound like you want a new bike, which is as good a reason as any to buy a new bike…

THIS…

If the only 29er you’ve ridden is the Thumper, I definitely wouldn’t write the wheel size off when searching for new bikes still. Geometry has come a long way in the last few years, most notably on 29ers. That said, they’re not for everyone, and 27.5 is indeed a good compromise.

Personally I’m not into compromise though and I just love the grip and the speed that 29ers afford!

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a good few 27 and 29in trail and enduro bikes now.

There are differences inherent to the wheel size, most notably BB height in relation to the axles and the rollover effect.

However geometry is far more significant to how playful, nimble, stable, planted, barge-like etc a bike feels.

Demo some newer bikes in both wheel sizes and see what you reckon.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Help, I'm falling out of love with 29ers’ is closed to new replies.