Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Help! I want a road bike but can't decide!
  • chameleon78
    Free Member

I fancy a go at this road riding malarkey, however I have always been an mtber and have no real idea of what it is I want!
    I have always liked trek madones however unless I can get a deal on one the model I'd choose is out of my budget, unless I go for the cheaper one. I have looked at Ribble bikes, service is apparently shyte but bike are vfm, what is the quality like compared to the trek?. I would like to spend no more than 2.5k, ideally 1.5k! What are the ride qualities of the trek and the ribble(gran fondo or sportive) or even a condor. I would ideally like carbon, and I'd like to think the bike I choose would be suitable for general riding, maybe a few events and some Alps riding eventually. Am I looking at the right bikes? Ultegra would be nice.
    Any advice appreciated.

plop_pants
    Free Member

I recently bought a Scott Cr1 Pro and I'm absolutely delighted with it. It knocks the spots of my Pinarello f4:13. Far more comfortable, lighter and £2500 as apposed to £3500 for the pinarello. The scott is a great bike for general riding but it is also just as good as a race bike. I think Scott market it as a sportive bike but it's the best race bike I've had. It also looks great!

Filthy
    Free Member

This looks nice…

Planet x with Sram Red

I've only dipped my toes into road bikes as far as a Giant CX bike so can't really comment but it seems good vfm

cynic-al
    Free Member

m I looking at the right bikes?

I wouldn't be looking at any of those for my first bike, unless you're more concerned about having all the gear that wasting £2.5K if you don't enjoy it.

Plenty road races won on less.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I've got a 2009 Trek Madone 5.2; very pleased with it. Too good for me for sure but I enjoy riding it – I reckon if you're putting the miles in it's fair enough. But if you're unsure try one of the £1k carbon specials or one of Trek's cheaper offerings such as the 2.5 or 4.5.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

there is a huge choice for that kind of budget, the best thing would be to try and test ride as many of the bikes you like the look of that you can. Try and get a longish +1hr test ride if you can. Don't get too hung up on carbon as there are many really nice Alu and Steel bikes at that price point, and not all carbon will be smooth and compliant, many will be rattle your teeth out harsh and stiff.

mooman
    Free Member

i got a giant tcr alliance beginning of this year – and loving it more than i ever expected. So much so i plan on getting the full carbon tcr offering sometime soon.

Edric64
    Free Member

2.5 k could get you custom steel rather than short life plastic,buy a frame for life!

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Member

2.5 k could get you custom steel rather than short life plastic,buy a frame for life!

If that is an option custom steel would be hard to beat !

radoggair
    Free Member

If that is an option custom steel would be hard to beat !

Your kidding me right??. For that price carbon is the only way to go. Its why 99.9% of road racers race them. As for bike for life, as unbustable as steel is, who really cares. I know of no one (although a few will do) who still rides or races on bikes they bought 15 or 20 years a go cos its for life.
    Lets face it, you buy a bike with a lifespan of 5 years nowadays and mainly cos technological advances mean that you will always hunker after new stuff.
    For 2.5k, you can get a sweet carbon bike with a great groupset that will last you (and not rust like steel) for years.
    I have a planet x pro sl which i thought was a great bike ( for the price it still is), though the front end is not that stiff but it is very light.
    Just bought one of these and done the 100 mile CRC today and for climbing, descending, acceleration and helping you keep a high speed it knocks the Planet x for 6. An amazing bike

felt ar3

Edric64
    Free Member

A Dave Yates 631 frame and forks cost 660 quid in 631 thats cheap for nearly custom .For that you can choose the top tube and seat tube length and seat tube angle

Edric64
    Free Member

Lets face it, you buy a bike with a lifespan of 5 years nowadays

ONLY IF YOU HAVE MONEY TO BURN

Edric64
    Free Member

Its why 99.9% of road racers race them

Because they thrash the life out of it and get a free new one next year

cynic-al
    Free Member

For 2.5k, you can get a sweet carbon bike with a great groupset that will last you (and not rust like steel) for years.

My 96 steel bike rides great and is not rusty thanks.

Edric64
    Free Member

I can't change bikes that often .My newest mtb is 6 years old ,it probably has to do that again before I can convince the missus it,s knackered .My old steel ones are 17,23 and 26 years old and still going one of my fixies is 63 years old.(ok I bought it as a classic!)

radoggair
    Free Member

Its why 99.9% of road racers race them

Because they thrash the life out of it and get a free new one next year

Pro's maybe, but club level, amateurs etc dont. All riders i ride with have bikes which are anything but new, rcae weekly on them and use them next season. They buy second hand etc to reduce cost

Lets face it, you buy a bike with a lifespan of 5 years nowadays

ONLY IF YOU HAVE MONEY TO BURN

Not really, you can buy carbon frames from 400 quid. Alright brand new high end bikes are alot more but generally i would say most people in the past 5 years on STW would of bought a new bike/frame of some sort

sambob
    Free Member

Planet x is pretty much unbeatable VFM wise.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Help! I want a road bike but can't decide!’ is closed to new replies.