Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Help ! I really REALLY need to lose 15 kgs!
  • renton
    Free Member

I can pass my fitness test each year but im wanting to get fitter so i give a better impression.

Ti29er whats your problem mate??

backhander
    Free Member

Fair one Rents but the BFT is an absolute minimum level.
    I would disagree with Ti29er for the moment, you need very steady state runs for as long as you can manage ensuring that you stay hydrated. Start 5 mile min and work up to 12 milers (all in trainers).
    Really mate, you need to be training when everyone else is sleeping.
    Fartleks, hillreps, intervals etc are a bit advanced for you ATM, I think.

renton
    Free Member

this is me on the left!!………….

Ti29er
    Free Member

I'm off.

You belong in the Crabs.
    The Crab fitness test is ….. for civilians ….. in blue or white (not your colour).
    Don't delude yourself. The fact that you cite this is representative of your abilities and perhaps more importantly, your own aspirations.
    Long may the relationship last.

evilsovereign
    Free Member

most techies are fat. are you a rigger, fairy, sooty, bombhead, dog f##ker, what ? where are you based? are you a singlie or scaley. don't eat in the mess.
    get down the gym, speak to a decent pti, and get them to work out a program for you, to fire up your metabolism. weights, x training, everything. if you can't run, do anything for cardio like step, or x training, to get you in the fat burning zone, mix it up with some endurance weight training, (12 to 20 reps per set x 3) not heavy lifting.

if you really want to drop the weight, go on detachment to al kharj for a few months, you'll drop loads of weight, i did. mind you, that did have something to do with running about 50 to 60 miles a week. but hey, the gym is good, and no booze.
    good luck.

renton
    Free Member

ti29er ,have you ever thought that i might realize that im not as fit as i should,and would actually like to do something about it be hence coming on here and asking for advice or are you so far up your army arse that you cant see it??

just a thought??

renton
    Free Member

evilsoverign….

currently doing 3 sessions in the gym a week doing a mix of what you listed above, its helping maintain a certain level of fitness but im not getting "fitter" or thinner for that matter??

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I'm off.

You belong in the Crabs.
    The Crab fitness test is ….. for civilians ….. in blue or white (not your colour).
    Don't delude yourself. The fact that you cite this is representative of your abilities and perhaps more importantly, your own aspirations.
    Long may the relationship last.

Are you on drugs?

Renton, I started swimming about 6 months ago starting off puffing one length at a time, I now swim 1500 metres (breaststroke) twice a week, I've lost almost a stone and I've toned up by a considerable amount, this is of course comined with cycling as well.

Worth a punt if you have access to a pool.

evilsovereign
    Free Member

i would say fudge it, get in the gym and work it like a bitch. 2 days on 1 off, 2 days on 2 off. if you can run a bit fine, run offroad as much as possible to save your joints, but run forest run. at the end of the day it's sh#t or bust. in my 3 years in germany, i went from 16.5 stone, down to 12.5 stone, doing running and weight training, and i was not as wise then, as i am now. plus all the bottles of wobbly, dorty, becks and applecorn.

renton
    Free Member

Evil

I know what you are saying mate, ive just come back form a 3 year tour in cyprus….. full meze's kokkineli cheap beer!!

what trade are/were you then??

evilsovereign
    Free Member

exactly, that is the battle of the bulge. what trade did you say you are?

patentlywill
    Free Member
    renton
    Free Member

The only trade the RAF needs of course!! ARMOURER

evilsovereign
    Free Member

A i'm an armourer
    B i'm an armourer
    C i'm an armourer too.

how do armourer's count bombs.
    1,1,1,lots…

renton
    Free Member

Ahhh thats not fair ,i can count to ten and then i run out of fingers!!

evilsovereign
    Free Member

that's why your not an nco, you haven't started to use your toes, or you can't do your shoe laces. :mrgreen:

renton
    Free Member

Now how would you know im not an NCO???

evilsovereign
    Free Member

got your tapes inside 12 years? how many cornflakes packets. you must be a mech mech, or mech tech then. you'd be too young to be an old school
    a mech w, then a fitters course for eng tech w?

renton
    Free Member

Im not though your right!! hence wanting to apply for aircrew.

my trade is getting smaller and smaller, lots of stuff going back to manufacturer for servicing and other stuff getting centralized.

i did a w mech course and then an AT course , been in just short of 11.5 years.

so come on then what about you! you seem pretty clued up

evilsovereign
    Free Member

i was a rigger. a mech a back in '91, fitters course in '98 . came out in about 2000/01. some ace times on a squadron, you know the score. glad to be a civvy, they shut most of the good overseas when i was in. tried for aldergrove, akrotiri, more of bruggen.

GrahamS

Don't know if anyone has mentioned yet (can't be bothered reading) but try Lighter Life (or one of the similar diets).

Best way to lose a good amount of weight relatively quickly.
    Girl I flat share with has lost 5 stone on it. Couple of friends have also done it and lost large amounts of weight.

Basically they supply all your food for a few months. You eat that, and only that, do exercise and lose weight.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

I hate running – that's why I've got a bike or two.

great way to lose weight

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Mind you, with my sign on name – 🙄

bakey

I've just read the Fartlek piece on Wikipedia – isn't that just what we do on the bike, i.e. hevy climbing at high HR followed by downhill/level recovery?

br
    Free Member

im 6 foot 1 and 111kgs!!

i used to do a lot of power lifting up until about 4 years ago.

You look a big lad; while I'm 6'2" I'm only 80kg and eat like I have worms (or according to my mate diabetes…). My 2 riding buddies are just under 6' and eat no where near what I do, yet they are knocking on 100kg – but they both use to gym it a lot, while I never have…

Although people say avoid sugar, a pal of mine thinks that people like me and other friends who take sugar in their tea/coffee manage to avoid it elsewhere – e.g snacks etc

One trick is to ensure that you always have fruit in, so if you are ever 'hungery', take on apple etc – take a bag to work too.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Either that or you are a medical marvel of some unknown kind.

I know this will really annoy you but unfortunately something here simply does not add up. Apologies for the annoyance – sincerely meant

🙂 I'm clearly not a marvel, but I'm also fairly convinced I'd covered all foods I took in – down to the number of sugars in my coffee etc. In all honesty, I set the 1500 cals a day from "main meals" so that I had some leeway with things like milk/sugar in coffees (I only drink a couple a day anyway) as I had been eating considerably more (maybe 2800-3000 and staying fairly static in weight (maybe adding a pound every 4-6 months on average) Once a week I'd gobble a small dairy milk and drink a single pint of guinness. Whether or not the total calories were exactly 1500 on average (they would have sat in the range of 15-1700 without a doubt) they were certainly a LOT less than I was consuming and so one would expect SOME change in weight even if absolute values were wrong (same food, just much less of it). I've no idea. Your comments are not annoying, I wholely agree with your thinking and I'm driving myself mad with it! However I'm now back on a food diary to check everything! its not like im obese, just heavier than I'd like to be!

Hope Renton is learning from my hijack, if not, sorry!

samuri
    Free Member

What worked for me…. Was not changing my diet in any particular way but cycling a lot more, over 150 miles a week (up to 250 some weeks) but that wasn't the key. What really seemed to make the difference was the way I cycled. Proper, agony driven death marches. Feeling pain. Look for the biggest hills I could, go up them, back down the other side, go back over them again. Feeling tired? Go back over them again. I wasn't happy until I was completely drenched with sweat and my legs and lungs were on fire.

I know this probably flaunts a wealth of 65% and fartlek advice (and probably doesn't sound like much fun) but it worked *very* quickly for me. I lost over a stone in less than two months despite not changing my diet, which consists largely of beer, chocolate and lots of big meals.

molgrips
    Free Member

I dont really want to diet as sch as ive tried before cutting back on everything (sugar,carbs etc) and in the 3 months i did i lost literally no weight at all??

Okay, don't listen to all the idiots on here who say it's just a matter of calories in vs calories out. That's very over simplistic.

If you want to exercise DO NOT cut down on carbs. You need the carbs to function. If you dont' eat enough you will crash and not be able to exercise properly at all. Then your brain will force you to eat sugary things which often come with fat attached.

You need to eat enough cabrs to satisfy your energy needs whilst exercising, without any extra fat. Eat as little fat as possible – although you do need a tiny bit to process vitamins properly. And of course you need the usual fruit and veg etc.

As for exercise – don't ride too hard if you want to lose weight. Long slower rides are what lose you weight; they also help develop your fat burning muscle fibres so it starts to get easier. Fast twitch muscle doesn't burn fat, and if like me you are biased towards fast twitch you will find it harder to lose weight (sounds like this is the case).

Plus – don't get hung up on actual weight – you can lose fat and gain muscle density surprisingly easily if you are an endomorph, without really realising it.

renton
    Free Member

cheers molgrips!!

the thing is , im applying for aircrew and there is a maximum weight/bmi limit!! so need to lose the weight too

Bimbler
    Free Member

Drugs?

Weight loss wonder drug

AICAR

You can buy the chemical online

coffeeking
    Free Member

Okay, don't listen to all the idiots on here who say it's just a matter of calories in vs calories out. That's very over simplistic.

But it IS that simple, it's just that we don't have any way of monitoring calories out properly. We've no idea if our body is acting like a raced 3 litre straight 6 today or a frugal 1.2 from one day to the next because it depends on health, exercise, individual metabolism etc. So while the physics of cals in – cals out = 0 is utterly correct, we struggle to observe actual cals out.

samuri
    Free Member

if like me you are biased towards fast twitch you will find it harder to lose weight (sounds like this is the case).

yeah, it's your glands, or genetic.

goog
    Free Member

more nookie !

TerryWrist
    Free Member

Alright Renton,

Compartment syndrome is not nice, and it's not obvious to Medical Science what causes it – some people are just disposed to it and exercise of any sort makes it worse until you get it sorted, so good luck with that.

I'd ignore Ti29er, who has no grip on reality if he can't understand this basic medical issue.

He's an odd bloke who flounced off from BikeMagic when his constant boll##ks (he invented 29ers, he's the fastest rider EVER) was pointed out to him.

Good luck with the weight loss.

renton
    Free Member

Thanks very much TerryWrist!!! at least someone knows what im on about 😆

you are right about ti29er he is a first class cock imo

freeridenick
    Free Member

Go and spend a month trekking around Nepal. I weighed 62 kg when I came back…..living in the cold, high altitude and steady trekking all day does wonders for the waist line!

TerryWrist
    Free Member

No worries Renton.

Have you had surgery or treated it with massage etc?

Well worth trying to see a Consultant in Sports Medicine if your treatment isnt going as well as you hope.

Pretty frustrating injury but it's got a good recovery rate so once again good luck.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Have a chat with a RAF PT instructor and ask him/her to help you get into shape, stop drinking and eat healthily, lots of exercise..simple really. Stop looking for excuses why you cant and just do it. Start with circuit training and ride your bike loads, enter a competition or do a charity event and give yourself something to aim for.

renton
    Free Member

TerryWrist,
    I have had bilateral fasciotomys (you prob know what that is), but never really got any good physio after the op so when ever i tried to run i was getting so much pain i felt it was worse than pre op!!

however due to the fact i havent run properly now for about 3 years my legs just arent used to it, so im doing a return to running program at the moment and lots and lots of strecthing.

apparently i have very tight calf muscles and tight nerves down to my feet which need a lot of work.

currently doing 20 mins running at 9.5 kmh(which isnt fast i know) with a 1 min walk at 10 mins.

Im getting better but feel so wrong all the time when im running, as though im not doing it properly!!

still get lots of lower back ache and calf ache but its definatley getting better!!

cheers

steve

renton
    Free Member

flippinhecker read the thread mate.

current camp doesnt run any sort of circuit sessions.

Im doing pt 3 times a wek with the army for an hour at a time.

I very rarely drink

I eat quite sensible.

I ride my bike 2-3 times a week for 3-4 hours at a time.

Im still not losing any weight??

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Help ! I really REALLY need to lose 15 kgs!’ is closed to new replies.