Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • help: I need motivation to get back out running
  • spawnofyorkshire

Had a bit of a crap year healthwise and whilst I’m back playing hockey, climbing and MTBing i can’t get the desire up to get out running.

I used to really enjoy the solitude (I don’t do running groups) and despite being a big lad i could knock out 15km easy enough. (EDIT: I would do training runs of between 10km-15km before i got ill, doubt i could do that at the moment)

What do you use to motivate yourself?

brassneck

I just look in a mirror every so often. That usually does the trick.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

A race and a plan have always helped me, I struggle to just go a run for the sake of it. Strava has been working though, going out and trying to lower my pb’s has meant a bit of variety too.

Pieface

Lots of things…

Training schedule
    Fear of getting fat
    Next years races / improving on past performance
    Trying out any new gear
    Seeking out Strava segments / improving on others
    Eeking out the perfect run map on Strava
    Exploring different areas that you find
    Getting away from it all / headspace
    The physical pleasure both during and after
    The sights you see, after all its getting out in to the wide world. This is especially good running round a hilly city at night / early morning
    Lack of time to do something for longer (e.g. biking / climbing)

brant
    Free Member

What do you use to motivate yourself?

Strava.

olddog

Much the same reasons I ride my bike – being outside, keeping fit, straightening out my head, exercise rush – and it;s a more time efficient way of doing all these when I don’t have time to ride.

Strava? nope, don’t even time myself properly, although I do check how far I’ve gone on one of those run mapping sites

wwaswas

Run off road.

I find pounding pavements dull but heading out and exploring the local twittens and ribbons of woodland really helps.

augustuswindsock

I’m in exactly the same boat op, haven’t run since the kids came along a few years ago, keep wanting to get back into it but can’t quite muster the motivation, a mate recommended reading feet in the clouds by richard askwith, apparently very inspiring. Let me know how you get on, you might inspire me to buy it and get the asics out!!!

spawnofyorkshire

right i’m off out tonight and will try the strava thing.
    @augustus – will do matey 🙂

thanks all

zigzag69
    Free Member

You need goals that works for you. Trying to get back into it now myself – For me, it’s the dark nights, so an alternative to getting out on the bike, plus standing on the scales. Also helps clear my head after work, a mental reset, which again, I’m missing because I’m not getting out on the bike.

Still finding it hard, but then I hate running, it’s purely a means to an end.

brant
    Free Member

Run off road.

Yes – that too.

I run all the valley techy trails – great fun 🙂

augustuswindsock

Actually op, after my last post I just went and bought it on ebay for £2.80, so if nowt else you’ve inspired me to at least get the book!!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

For me it’s having a fixed date, i.e. a race, in the diary that I can then actively work towards. Having a target in the future most definitely stops me from slacking off.

molgrips
    Free Member

i can’t get the desire up to get out running.

There’s a reason for that – running is crap.

scotroutes

Any politicians near you?

wwaswas

Given recent events – with every step pretend David Cameron is just the other side of the road and you can get a clear punch in before security get to you…

[edit: darn]

Jamie
    Free Member

There’s a reason for that – running is crap.

Now, now. Just because you’re always getting overtaken by faster runners.

molgrips
    Free Member

I am, yes, but that’s because running is crap.

hammyuk
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    I am, yes, but that’s because I is crap. fat

FTFY

molgrips
    Free Member

I am fat yes.

Running’s still crap though.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

At Least you wont get done for speeding molgrips

Found an excuse not to do it every day for the last month myself at the minute the main one miniS#2 won’t sleep through – it’s hard. So I’m going to enter a duathlon and get my arse handed to me to get things moving

spawnofyorkshire

Well I got out tonight and did 8.4km. Really enjoyed myself and have that post run bliss I’ve been missing.
    No where near my usual pace but happy

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘help: I need motivation to get back out running’ is closed to new replies.