Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Help – Hope pro2 hubs with stans ZTR crest rims
  • ironcowboy
    Free Member

I have stans ZTR crest rims on hope pro2 hubs and I am running Nobby Nics with tubes and they are an absolute nightmare to fit. Had a major blowout on the trail this morning that blew the sidewall to shreds and had to walk home(the rip just went all the way round the rim when trying to refit the tyre with a bandage). Has anybody got any good tips for tyres to run with these wheels or an easy way to fit tyres I have been using levers – they may well find there way onto ebay and I only got them at Christmas

tonyg2003

Run them tubeless. Nobby Nic Evo’s on Crest work beautifully. Crest rims are designed for tubeless not with tubes, so why not?

slowjo
    Free Member

I have just bought a pair of these wheels and use Ralphs. They were a doddle to fit but the shop did say some tyres are an absolute pain… best fitted with tyre levers.

Run them tubeless. I got some help with seating the tyres – use a compressor is my tip. Otherwise they are excellent.

njee20
    Free Member

Sounds like you may be using a thick rimstrip, change to a thinner one, better still, go tubeless. If you want to use tubes, try a couple of turns of electrical tape instead of a rim tape.

bigjim

running nobby nic on crest tubeless just fine here. the blowout is surely down to the tyre and not the wheel. I bought the snakeskin version having read various reports of the standard sidewalls tearing easily.

you will of course have watched the installation vids on stan’s site that tell you you have to get the tyre in the special bead groove in teh middle of the rim to get it on 🙂

lucien

I’m running a pair with tubeless Specialized Captain’s – awesome and seal well – easy on and easy off

P20

I’ve got crests and 355s both running Nobby nic 2.4/2.2 evo without problems, though I’m running stans tubeless. No levers to get on or off, inflate no problem and have never blown off the rims.

benman
    Free Member

I struggled to fit my Kenda Nevegals to the crest rims on my first attempt, and was really dreading having to change a tube. When I did come to change the tube it was fine – the tyres seemed to have stretched a bit.

ironcowboy
    Free Member

So it seems tubeless is the way forward – can I just fit UST tyres and a valve and away I go or do i need the whole stans no tubes kit

Your help is appreciated

thepurist

Depends on the rim tape – if it’s a pukka tubeless one like the yellow stans jobby then a tubeless valve & UST tyres should do you, (or a tubeless valve, “tubeless-ready” tyres, a slurp of sealant and a mahusive pump)

specializedneeds

No need for a (relatively heavy) UST tyre, that’s kinda the point of Stan’s rims! Standard tyre plus sealant plus the yellow Stans rim tape plus a valve is all you need. You don’t need the whole Stan’s kit, ie you don’t need the black rubber strip with a valve in it.

Wookster

Did the same last night was a pain in the arse!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Help – Hope pro2 hubs with stans ZTR crest rims’ is closed to new replies.