Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • help: headset problem
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I cant get my new headset right – even when the top cap is screwed down and the fork is jammed tight, it wiggles. The bottom by the crown race seems OK.

Isn't there supposed to be a wedge ring under the top ring of the headset that wedges between the steerer and top bearing?

I haven't round one in the box 🙁

uplink
    Free Member

How much gap have you got between the top of the steerer & the top of the stem?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What headset is it?

FSA headsets have one of those compression rings that tightens it up

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

How much gap

none

FSA headsets

yes its an FSA. What do I do with it?

simondbarnes

buzz-lightyear – Member

How much gap

none

Well that's the first thing you need to sort out 🙂

walla24
    Free Member

usually is a wedge shape ring that sits between the steerer tube and the bearing, although they may well make headsets without?
    check the bearing rings are up the right way?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"gap"

Oh sorry I misunderstood. I've 3 spacers under the stem so that the stem is proud of the steerer-top by a couple mm. I tighten the top cap and it presses the headset cover into the top of the frame – it doesnt seem to be pre-loading the top bearing.

"usually is a wedge shape ring"

yes that was what I expected but there isnt one so I dont understand how the bearing is going to get loaded . The bike shop bashed the cups in but I wonder if they lost the wedge?

I'm curious about his "compression ring" remark what are they then?

nickc

FSA have pdf files on their site (IIRC) can you compare your parts with how it should look?

uplink
    Free Member

a couple of mm may not be enough – 5mm is a safe option

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

right: i;ve looked at the tech sheet and every model has a wedgy ring to load the bearing. So I guess the bike shop lost mine gggrrrrrrrr

Of to the shop tomorrow lunchtime

ta everyone

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Problem caused and solved by Halfords – they lost the wedge ring when they fitted the cups. So they robbed another set off the shelf for me.

The rest of the build is done (preliminary). Hope to test it Sunday and post pics.

thanks for your help chaps

roadiesean
    Free Member

I bet they then try and sell the next one without the wedgy thing ! I was in there the other day and they tried to sell me a seatpost without the top bit that goes over the seatrails if you know what I mean. "Oh no", they said, "you don't need one of them with this sort of seatpost". When I demonstrated what would happen they just took it and put it back on the shelf……

I am still giggling from that one.

Why, oh why does anyone ever buy anything from Halfords ? They aren't even cheap !

At least they do sponsor cycling, so thats something.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Halfords – theres the problem right there. You want something done right, do it yourself.
    😯

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘help: headset problem’ is closed to new replies.