Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Help – Garmin GPS or similar ?
  • the_lecht_rocks

dad wants one for his walking escapades.
    what's recommended ?
    i have no idea about these things.

TIA

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Etrex H is excellent

HTTP404
    Free Member

I'd have thought a mapping GPS to be the most helpful.
    Garmin Etrex Venture HC (£130)
    And download the *free* OpenStreetMap for the UK.

You'll need to upload it to your GPS in chunks if the GPS memory isn't big enough or better still get a GPS that takes SD Cards. (Etrex Summit?)

You'll probably need a copy of Garmin Mapsource to read the OpenStreetMap and plan routes.
    Or I think you can also plan routes on google earth and export them with something like GPS Babel to your Garmin.

Anyway, its free UK Mapping!

the_lecht_rocks

what about the dakota 20 + gb discoverer at half price ??????

abductee
    Free Member

You need one with an sd memory card slot for the free maps. this is denoted by an x in the model name.

See the previous thread where mapping was done to death.
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/gps-on-a-bike-opinions-please

uplink
    Free Member

D'you know exactly what he wants to do with it?

If it's just so that he can get a fix on his location & then refer to a map &/or follow pre-planned routes – a Garmin Etrex is suitable

If he wants an electronic map there's a few options with things like Satmap etc.

the_lecht_rocks

he wants an electronic map afaik……..

4ags4
    Free Member

Have a look at a Satmap 10 if he just wants an electronic OS map.

mAx_hEadSet

Having got a whole gamuts of gps devices from etrex to cx60 their were good deals to be had earlier this year as I discovered here, on the Oregon 300 and 400, which i purchased with half price os mapping from field and trek who at the time were the cheapest but the prices were subsequently matched on amazon so it was clear Garmin were having a stock drop, there may well still be some stragglers left.

where as the oregon 300 has the bell but not the whistle of the 400, the new dakota 20 seems to have neither and looks a very good tool at a reasonable price point with the large screen iphone size map screen unlike the squinty etrek displays.

The Oregon is robust i left it on the roof of my car, forgot about it drove down a quiet lane turning into a field. On my return trip i saw my garmin with its distinctive red lanyard lying in the side of the road, stopped to pick it up expecting a calamity and there was not a mark on it. They are waterproof too.

smudge
    Free Member

I'm waiting for the memorymap adventure 2800 to come out. Looks like it might be the answer to the maps

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Help – Garmin GPS or similar ?’ is closed to new replies.