Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Help: Front Mech Confusion
  • binno
    Free Member

I’m looking for a front mech to run on a bottom pull Kona Dew Commuter bike with 10 speed rear gearing.

I have a tripple Deore chain set with 24T, 32T, 44T rings and would like to run these + maybe a 48T largest ring in the future. Due to bottle mount placements i need either a bottom swing 31.8mm clamp, or a compact Top Swing clamp.

Most current shimano mechs state they are 7, 8. 9, 10 speed specific and many newer models only go to 42T and many refer to chain stay angle 63-66 or 66 – 69 degrees, something i’m completely unfamiliar with.

Can anyone help point my towards a mech that will work??

soobalias
    Free Member

good question. wont be many people who know that off the top of their head.

bottom swing?
    top swing is the compact looking one
    conventional is the one that hangs down
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xt-m770-top-swing-9sp-front-mech/rp-prod20684
    most are dual pull.

the chainstay angle is confusing me as much as “compact top swing clamp”

neilwheel
    Free Member

You need a Deore FD M-611 triple mech for 10 speed.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-deore-m611-conventional-3×10-front-mech/rp-prod108832

66-69 degree is standard.

Will work fine with 44T and probably 48T too.
    You have to check the overall capacity, touring rings were usually 28-38-48, 24 to 48 will probably be too much range for the cage and a shift from 32 to 48 will not be very smooth either.

mr_average
    Free Member

Following the full ‘letter of the law’ on front mechs can be quite hard, but in practice they often work fine even when you have pushed the boundaries a little. You need to make sure you’re getting an MTB one to work with flat bar levers (e.g. Alivio, Deore etc.) and you need to make sure that the teeth difference between large and middle on your chainset is at least as great as the mech spec, or you’ll end up having to put the mech too high (leading to poor shifting) to prevent the inner plate of the mech hitting the middle chainring.

There is a risk that if you increase the size of your outer ring too much then the chain may drag on the connection between inner and outer plates of the mech when in small ring/small sprocket gears. Couple of extra teeth is likely to be fine. This is also where the chainstay angle (angle between seat tube and chainstay) comes in – I think the 66-69 one will help you avoid this problem at the risk that the cage will actually hit the chainstay if you’re still using the small rings.

As ‘10 speed’ mechs are widely available there’s no reason not to choose one of them.

I hate the ambiguous ‘top swing’ ‘bottom swing’ description. I think it relates to the position of the cage referenced to the band. ‘High band’ and ‘Low band’ is far less ambiguous. Any chance you can fit a High band one, even if it ends up between the bottle cage bosses? They work much better.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Help: Front Mech Confusion’ is closed to new replies.