• This topic has 24 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by cy.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Help from Cotic Soul owners!
  • Deevass
    Free Member

Sorry guys, I know this has probably been asked before and I tried a search. I’m a little over 5ft 11 with a 32″ inside leg, not sure whether the Cotic Soul 17.5″ (23.25 TTube) or 19″ (24″ TTube) frame would be right for me. I ride XC with some technical and singletrack and like stability and normally opt for an 18″ frame. Any suggestions from Cotic Soul owners out there?

ssboggy

I’m about 5’11 with 32″ inside leg and ride a medium Simple (same geometry as a Soul) I have a layback post on it an 80mm stem

brakes
    Free Member

I’m 5’9″, 31″ inside leg and longish arms and ride a medium, no layback and a 70mm stem
    I’d say it was a good size for me, but I have considered putting a longer stem on as it can lift a tiny bit on the steepest climbs, but I think that’s more to do with the 140mm forks than anything else, will probably drop them to 120ish
    maybe go for a medium as you can always put a longer stem and a layback post on it
    ask Cy, he’ll have an opinion on it…

tinribz
    Free Member

I’m just over 5’11 with 33″ inside leg and ride a medium Soul I also have a layback post on it an 80mm stem. Tried sitting on a large in a shop and it felt massivly long. Have alot of seat post showing mind.

unklebuck
    Free Member

I’m a fraction shy of 6′ with a 34″ inside leg and quite long arms so ride a large with a 70mm stem and an inline post.

I prefer things reversed to how brakes suggests, you can always shorten the bike with an inline post and shorter stem.

househusband

Where do you live, Deevass?

Would be worth asking if there’s any Soul owners in the area.

I’ve had two Souls, both large, but did have a medium BFe when I went through a mid-life wannabe hooligan phase a few years ago – I’m 6’2″.

mboy
    Free Member

It’s a personal thing, but I’m the same height and leg measurement as you, I’d definitely go medium with an inline post and about an 80mm stem. 24″ is a fraction too long in the TT IMO at our height, but then again, you may have unusually long arms!

Deevass
    Free Member

I’m in Plymouth, really like the idea of the Soul but want to give myself the best chance of getting a good fit. I normally ride with a 70mm stem, I like the snappy handling and I don’t like being cramped so thought the large was the way to go but am having doubts!!

tang
    Free Member

im 6ft/32inseam, 90mm stem/layback post. medium great fun for few hours in the woods, tiny weeny bit short for long days in the hills.

snakebite
    Free Member

5 ’11 and a bit here too. 32 leg. had a large Soul for 18 months and then switched to a medium Soda, same geometry etc…. much preferred the medium, Thomson inline post and 70mm stem.

Frankers
    Free Member

6′ (32″ inseam) – 90m stem and inline post and on a Large, tried a 70mm stem and wasn’t keen

Very similar to Turner Flux (TNT) geometry which has 24.2″ TT (my other bike) and also Large Specialized geometry.

metalheart
    Free Member

Just shy of 6 foot, 33″ IL, riding a medium frame with a 90mm stem, 27″ bars and layback seat post.

Went through the same dilemma as you. Cy recommended the medium and I went with that. Glad that I did as its pretty much spot on.

Used to ride it with the saddle rammed right back as far as it would go but now more relaxed about it (fitting wider bars helped).

Currently eyeing up a soda and that would be in medium too. :mrgreen:

grievoustim
    Free Member

i’m 5’11 with a 32″ inside leg

I ride a medium soul

there is no way I would get a large – a medium is a perfect fit for me

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 11″ and had a medium Soul but it ended up being too large for what I wanted. At this height you can actually get away with a small if you know why you want a small. It really depends on how you want it to feel.

Medium if you want the bike to feel more like a ragger; easier to balance front to back so it’s easier to jump and weight the front through the corners. You’ll be going faster downhill and through corners but you’ll feel less like an XC racer on the climbs.

Large if you want the bike to feel like an XC bike – more stretched out so better going up but less able to balance the bike and get your weight in the right place going down. It will be potentially more comfortable for all day rides.

Small if what you want is a play bike for two hour sessions down the woods.

If you tend to drop your saddle on the descents then without question you don’t want the large!

MrGreedy

6′, 33″ IL, went for the large (after test riding at Dales Bike Centre)

It sounds like you’ll probably be alright with either size – I find the large very composed on anything rocky and comfortable on long days in the saddle (including Kielder 100 this year). The trade-off is that it’s not quite as nimble in twisty forest singletrack – depends what kind of riding you do I guess. If you get the chance of a test ride go for it, there’s bound to be someone nearish that’d let you have a go.

topangarider
    Free Member

5’9″ 32″ inside leg on a medium with inolne post and 80mm stem (running Menjas). Tried it on one of the test days so was sure, but try just giving them a ring, they’ve always been more than helpful when I have – and either get Cy or Paul (I think).

brooess
    Free Member

1. Ask Cy, I did when I bought mine and he gave me good advice
    2. I’m 5’11 with 33 inside leg and I have medium frame with 140mm forks and a 70mm stem and layback post. It’s very chuckable like that. With a 90mm stem I found the handling a little remote.
    This set up is great for woody singletrack and open stuff like the Peaks too

I would expect a large to feel too stretched and not very nimble. It is the kind of bike you want to be in control of too 🙂

Bushwacked
    Free Member

5ft 11 / 32″ inside leg and ride a medium – perfect.

Running 130mm forks, 60mm stem and 15mm layback post. Love it.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Just a bit taller than you, In line post 70mm stem 100-130mm forks, always felt perfect.

Deevass
    Free Member

I’m thinking it sounds like a medium is the right way to go, thanks all, really helpful comments.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Go large if you ride Gate-XC!

tomlevell

5’10” and riding a small Simple. Any longer would be too long for me.

unklebuck
    Free Member

Go large if you ride Gate-XC!

Go small if you want to bash your knees on your shifters when you’re out of the saddle… 😉

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Go small if you want to bash your knees on your shifters when you’re out of the saddle… ?

I’ve got a small BFe as well and it’s ace! Not the best for all day rides (as demo’d by Mboy recently on his) but so much fun on Technical trails or DJ’s

cy

As all those people said, get a medium. Unless you’re particularly short of leg (which you aren’t), always go medium if you’re under 6ft. You’d fit on a large, but as also mentioned above, it’d be much more difficult to chuck about and impose yourself upon, whereas the medium will be fun and fit fine. 70mm stem will be good too; just get yourself a layback seatpost to give yourself the maximum adjustability. In my experience you’d never use the forward most position on an inline post, but you can replicate most positions you can get on an inline by pushing the saddle all the way forward on a layback, but that gives you the rearward options too. Wide bars help pull you forward. If you like a 70mm stem and snappy handling, look at getting some 710mm or wider bars to go with.

Any more questions, drop us a line any time.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Help from Cotic Soul owners!’ is closed to new replies.