Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Help! Eagle GX Shifting problems
  • greavo

I’ve installed a new complete Eagle GX groupset to my Hardtail. Carefully checked the chainline, b-screw with the little red tool etc etc, the upper and lower limits are set correctly and it travels the full width of the cassette.

The problem that I’m having is when I press the shifter it clicks and then travels across two cogs – both up and down the cassette. The shifter appears to only have 6 clicks.

I’m not used to SRAM stuff. Is this normal?

It’s very frustrating.

Any advice beyond putting my XT stuff back on it?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I’d recheck that the shifter was in highest gear when you inserted the cable?

Could be your cable tension? When you fitted it did you have the barrel screwed two turns out? You should just then pull the cable through without moving the rear derailleur. No need for cable puller. Just hand tight is good. You do not index the gears like shimano.

The B screw wont make that much difference.

Is the lock out, out?

Other issue is often too long a chain but that tends to just give bad shifting. IMHO the SRAM 1×11 and 1×12 is very easy to setup. Google for a video to check.

Just done a new cassette, chain and shifter cable on mine.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Pawsey-bear +1

greavo

Cheers for the reponse – very much appreciated.

Yes I did all those things multiple times. It must be cable tension and/or chain length.

The vids online tend to show one taken off and put back on in the guise of new setup. That’s what the SRAM video looks like to me. There’s just a quarter of a turn on the barrel after installation.

I’ll recheck it all again and report back. Very frustrating.

nopunk
    Free Member

Are you sure you have not got a GX DH shifter by mistake? (7spd). The Eagle one has an eagle logo on the shifter lever.

Brainflex

Check routing of your cable at the Mech, I had the cable clamp twisted and it altered the mech throw.

greavo

I can report back that I’m an idiot (nothing new).

As Brainflex said I hadn’t routed the cable correctly through the mech.

Once correctly positioned it all worked like a dream.

I’m slightly annoyed at the SRAM instructions though which are not great. The video they point you at doesn’t specifically mention the exact route. It just says make sure it’s correctly routed. The amateur guys on Youtube had better more informative instructions specifically calling out the route it should take.

Thanks for your help anyway chaps! Much appreciated.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Help! Eagle GX Shifting problems’ is closed to new replies.