Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • HELP!!! DOT 4 in Shimano brakes
  • criefftony
    Free Member

Let’s just suppose a “friend of mine” had topped up his wifes shimano M485 brakes with DOT 4, rather than the recommended mineral oil. How would he go about flushing the system, saving the brakes and my (I mean his) marriage?

Cue the rain of insults…

ac282

95% sure your friend has just written off his brakes.

I know the reverse is fatal with Hayes

druidh
    Free Member

Err, depends how much you’ve put in. If you can re-bleed them from the bottom up and do it soon, you might get away with it. Just flush lots of mineral oil through it. If it’s a lot, and it’s been in long enough, it’ll damage all the seals, so you’re talking about a complete replacement of caliper and lever.

spooky_b329

Main thing, get it out and flush with mineral oil. Might be too late though.

daznal
    Free Member

New brakes time,on the up side rose bikes have some fantastic offers on at the moment

druidh
    Free Member

Look on the bright side. The worst that could happen is that the seals disintegrate when she’s squeezing really hard going down a steep hill.

Does your friends wife have life insurance????

criefftony
    Free Member

Thanks chaps…

One expensive lesson learned!!!

I guess I guess it’s time I spent some of the money I save by doing my own spannering!

legend
    Free Member

Maybe you should also reconsider doing your own spannering 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

What do you mean, “topped up”? Put a bit in the reservoir or bled through? It could just mean a new seal kit but shaman seal kits are non existent.

Why did the brakes need “topping up”?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘HELP!!! DOT 4 in Shimano brakes’ is closed to new replies.