Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Help cramp!,,
  • cubemeup
    Free Member

Guys I’m getting awful cramp in my thighs and hamstring bad after a ride late on and sometimes feel it coming on while riding. It’s always in the same place, any ideas what I can take to help

crikey
    Free Member

Take ‘Riding your bike more’.

Cramp of the kind you describe, to the best of my knowledge, is related to neuro-muscular fatigue, not a lack of electrolytes or any other eatable or drinkable thing.

Train yourself.

tomhoward

Or, if you really need to take something, these help.

Here you go, princess. by tom.howard.562, on Flickr

cubemeup
    Free Member

True I am riding less this year but that’s down to a new baby etc I was just flat out on the deck with cramp in both legs

glupton1976
    Free Member

Try some gin and tonic.

cubemeup
    Free Member

Tonic water is a no chance but the gin would be ok

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Zinc for a more useful answer
    Are you hydrated? Do you have enough salts in your system, what is in your water?

In general I take 2-3l of water for anything more than an hour, more if it’s hot. I will add Torq in summer as I will sweat a lot.

Zinc was suggested as something to supplement with either as a powder to mix with water or in table form. For really big races before and after or as an emergency during ride.

If it’s not going into full blown cramp then maybe some more stretching will help.

Of course the 2 Olympians that have posted above probably know more than me….

glupton1976
    Free Member

Tonic water is a no chance but the gin would be ok

Shame, because it’s the tonic water that would make the difference.

Northwind

Still on the fence as to whether my compression legging things help after-ride cramping. Occasionally I’ve set off mad cramps while trying to get them on 😆 But it feels good doing something even if it’s pointless.

Ambrose

G+T- for the quinine content. Bananas and kiwifruit contain lots of potassium. I have tried them and they do help to some extent with symptoms such as you describe. However, when all is said and done the best thing does seem to be to ride more and improve fitness/ endurance.

As for the ‘growacet’ pic- genuine laughs. If only it was that easy to alleviate the pain. I too have been floored by cramp, it can be absolute screaming agony, the only relief from which I can manage is to hang from a doorframe and stretch out my adductors. It can last up to 30 mins of muscle contraction. Often I get it next day and now I recognise this I do my best to massage/ bath and keep my legs warm.

AndyRT
    Free Member

No better solution tan stretching your quads. I bet they feel tight after a long ride, so lie on the floor face down and get your partner to help you get your heels to touch your backside,

It should burn, but stretching these muscles will help.

mattg123
    Free Member

+1 for Quinine, I suffered similar cramps while running 60-70 mile fell races until my doctor prescribed me Quinine Bisulphate, I don’t anymore.
    Also Nuun tablets are great, its all I have in my drinks now when either running or riding.

coatesy
    Free Member

Always used to suffer cramps the day after long very sweaty rides, if I do one now, I drink a bottle of SIS Go afterwards, not suffered since I started using it.

stufive
    Free Member

Could it be your trying to cram to much in to quick with the lack of time, ie no warm up time etc?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I used to get it when racing [motorbike] endure. What solved it for me was crab loading and drinking plenty of water the day and morning before the race.

eskay

There is hardly any quinine in tonic water nowadays.

Ride more if you can, perhaps a tiny bit of salt in your drink bottle would help you. Avoid alcohol the day before a long ride, stay hydrated.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

May not affect you, but if we’re away biking for a weekend, which features a pub visit after it, I’ll always get cramp if I sit for a while on a pub stool with my legs in below, ie knees bent past 90deg. So I try not to.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Salt is a myth when it comes to cramp. You’re diet would have to be completely devoid of salt for a long long time before your bodies salt levels became that depleted. Given our modern diets where it is almost impossible to avoid salt, that is extremely unlikely.

A few years ago I started getting cramp and a lot of muscle pulls. It was because of years of not stretching causing my muscles to knot up thereby restricting the flow of blood and other nutrients to the knotted parts of the muscle. The key was stretching, especially after exercise and now I really don’t suffer from cramp unless I’m doing something that is really pushing my endurance levels. I had a couple of sports massage sessions too to get me started to de-knot me a bit. But has helped in my flexibility, strength, and general overall ability.

monogramman
    Free Member

Would bike setup also be a factor for cramps?

I haven’t been able to get out riding as much as I would like (as above maybe that’s my problem) but when I do after an hour or two, I’m starting to get cramp. I was wondering if saddle height or position had anything to do with it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes and no for bike setup. If its not changed then probably not but if your saddles too low etc it might do. What sort of rides are you doing? Hydration is key for me but once I start to sweat then getting the salts (not just NaCl) generally torq as I said above but have seen some benefit from the zinc supplements.

ocrider

I’ve personally found the solution to be a factor of most of the things that have already been outlined: Hydration, stretching, less booze, fitness, the day of the week…

I don’t have compresssion socks or tights, but have invested in a foam roller (big shout for ‘the beast’) I’d recommend getting one pronto.

monogramman
    Free Member

Peaks riding mainly when i get the chance. I can cope with a burst of climbing then a bit of downhill, but went to Llandegla a few weeks ago and started to cramp badly near the last descent back to the visitor center. It was at a point where straightening my leg brought it on at the knee/thigh and bending brought it on in my hamstring.

I was thinking about moving my saddle forward, or if it was to much peddling with my dropper seat lowered.

scottalej
    Free Member

Cod liver oil. I used to get excruciating cramp in my knees when hill walking and in my thighs when mountain biking. I tried numerous things until my doctor suggested cod liver oil. Nothing to lose since it’s good for you anyway. As long as I take a capsule each day for 2-3 days prior to a big ride or walk I don’t get cramps.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Help cramp!,,’ is closed to new replies.