Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help choosing a front mech please
  • stumpy01

I was all set to buy all the bits I need for the Inbred frame I was planning on buying this evening, until it came to the front mech….

I was planning on getting an SLX one. The Shimano website says that the clamp size is suitable for 28.6/31.8/34.9mm seat tube post……but the Inbred seat tube is 29.8mm.
    Does this mean that the front mech comes with spacers & you fit the closest clamp size to your tube with spacers if necessary? I really don't want to order the wrong thing & have to send it back. The only mechs I have bought for the old bike are the ones that have an e-fit bracket for mounting off the BB.

Also, there seems to be a top-swing or down swing……what's the difference? What's the advantages? What's the best one to go for on an Inbred frame….?
    As far as I can see it, one has the clamp above the level of the chain guide & one has the clamp sat lower…..

Any help would be appreciated as I wanna buy all the bits tomorrow at the latest or I'll never get round to it!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Down swing lasts longer.

Your seat tube will be 28.6 – butted externally at the top.

stumpy01

down swing sounds like the way forward….

The On One site definitely says 29.8mm front mech clamp size for an Inbred, but I can see your point about the seat tube being butted up to 29.8 from 28.6mm at the top…..hmmmm.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Bottom swing FTW. They last SO much longer and dont catch mud like top swing ones do.

stumpy01

Well, I rang On One and it's a mistake on their website; you were right cynic-al – it's 28.6mm and is on their website to-do list of things to sort out.

Ended up getting an SLX mech in the end – can't remember what way it swings though.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Hijiack

Maybe a stupid question, but with the 34.9 to 28.6 clamp work for 31.8 to 28.6?

I'm not sure if i'll require a 'middle' size
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17423

Cheers Stumpy for contacting on-one…I couldn't find anything anywhere about 29.8 front mechs!

Thanks

Andy

zaskar
    Free Member

Also depends on the cable routing welded on your frame.

I need conventional but went with a top swing which works fine.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Andy. Is your mech a multiple fit? That's what those are for.

If not you can bodge it with a stem spacer and a hacksaw.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Not sure exact spec. Know it's 'XT conventional dual-pull'

We'll see what happens.
    Just getting over excited about my first build. Cannae wait!

🙂

I'll be back once I've calmed down and have proper details.

Cheers everyone

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Help choosing a front mech please’ is closed to new replies.