Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help! Broken Christmas Tree lights!
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Just dug out the first of the Christmas decorations and one of the strings of 100 (indoor) lights isn’t working.
    Any tips as to what to check for?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Fuse light – first one on the chain

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Fuse, loose or broken wire, blocked oil filter.

schroedingerscat
    Free Member

Check you have enough money in the bank to just go out and replace them and save y’self the grief.

avdave2

Check there is room in the bin.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

tried the fuse light, no difference.
    But how do I know the replacement fuse light is any good? AARRGHH!

Hate throwing stuff away.

project
    Free Member

When i was about 12 put the little meccano screwdiver in the empty bulb soccket with the lights plugged in, got a shock and thrown across the room.

not recomended

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Hold up the light – does the filament look to be intact? Try going through each fitting to check all bulbs are correctly inserted.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Or of course the fuse in the plug may have gone

CountZero

Go to Wilco’s and buy a bunch of their LED lights. Very cheap and long-lasting. I bought some four or five years ago when they were more expensive, and put them round the kitchen window, and they’ve been in use every day since when it gets dark. Excellent lights, and the 40-light strings are around £7.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

new lights

MrTall
    Free Member

We’ve just checked our two sets before we put them on the tree, they both worked fine. Put them on the tree, plugged them back in and now one set doesn’t work.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhhh………….

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I’d agree with the “chuck em away and buy cheap LED ones” approach.

Old style fairy lights are a pain in the butt. The LED ones seem almost indestructible. Tesco were doing them half price the other day.

julianwilson
    Free Member

That well-used meeting place and free parking facility for cyclists otherwise known as Plympton B&Q were giving away little packs of spare christmas tree bulbs for free the other day.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help! Broken Christmas Tree lights!’ is closed to new replies.