Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Help!!!!… Beginner runner in a world of pain!!!
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

Ok peeps decided to start doing a bit of running to improve my overall fitness.
    I’ve done next to no running for the last 10 years.
    Take it easy I thought. So went out last night a gentle 40 mins.
    Didnt feel to bad a bit achy but to be expected.

Went out and did the same 40 mins again tonight and now I’m in a world of pain!!!
    Outside arch of my right foot is tender, blister on the inside.
    Legs are ssssoooo sore. Now walking with a bit of a limp and it was laughable watching me come down the stairs!!!

So give me some tips before I ditch it forever more.
    How long should I go out for?
    How often?
    Do I need to get some new running shoes? (currently using some salomen trail running shoes that are a couple of year old but certainly not hammered….
    Also I had a nice hot bath when I got back to soothe my legs. Making it better or worse?

Flame away!

emsz
    Free Member

OMG your running waaaaaayy too much.

start really slowly. run for 10mins then walk a bit, then another 10mins, and then stop, and don’t do more than a couple of times a week.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Build up to it… 40 mins is a lot if you haven’t run at all in years, of course you are in pain.

Take time to recover, then start small, 15 mins then 20mins, 25mins etc… build up to longer distances and durations over a period of time.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Mmmm I thought as much. I don’t really do “easy”. I thought I was taking it easy!!!

epicyclo

Fartlek is your friend.

Pyro

Yup, as others have said, tone it down. If problems continue, get your shoes checked.

samuri
    Free Member

Pain is your body’s way of telling you it’s wrong. Try riding a bike instead. Running cocked my left knee up permanently.

racefaceec90

i made the mistake of trying to run (well more of a slow jog) to my friend’s house and back (around a mile each way).i hadn’t run since secondary school.i ended up walking like john wayne for the next 3 days 😯 my legs just felt completely stiff/cramp feeling) i haven’t tried since (i much prefer riding my bike 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

I’m going through something like this too. I decided a couple of months back to give running a try (well – I hadn’t “run” since secondary school and that’s 35 years ago). Like you, I’m just using some Salomon cross-trainer things. My first outings were only 15-20 minutes or so, twice a week. Looking at Endomondo, my latest run (12th since starting) was 11.5 km in just over an hour. My legs are usually a wee bit sore the day after, but I’m soon back to normal.

My friends wot do running are telling me that’s too much, too early and that I should be aiming for only 30-40 minutes worth. Thing is, I’m very goal-driven and I have an event in mind for next spring which sees me doing a half-marathon distance. As far as I’m concerned, I just want to prove to myself, as soon as possible, that I can do it and if I’m feeling good, I don’t want to just stop early 🙂

SamB
    Free Member

Jumping in at the deep end with long runs is asking for an injury – running is an impact sport, and if you’re not used to it then bad things can happen.

Build up slowly: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

nicko74

Stretch! Warming up and down is essential (IMHO), and particularly if you haven’t run for a long time. Also sounds like your shoes may not be ideal for running, in my inexpert opinion…

petefromearth

As others have said. Start with short gentle runs, rest, stretch before and after, and get some decent running shoes

For me, stretching is essential, otherwise I cramp up afterward, particularly if I’ve had a break from running and my muscles arent used to it.

Head to your local running shop and get them to do a proper gait analysis. Mine set me back £80 (asics something or other) which is kinda the going rate, but I have quite arched feet and dodgy knees so I really need good support. Ive tried Salomon type shoes, selected on the basis that they looked cool and rugged, but they were awful to run in – depends what type of feet you have but they weren’t for me.

Have you got a smartphone? I use adidas Micoach which is excellent. Try out one of the basic training plans, you’ll start off easy and build up gradually. I do 3 runs a week, which works well for me. I find running in consecutive days just results in injury further down further line.

gboarder
    Free Member

I also returned to running after at least a 15 year break, generally to improve my overall fitness. From previous experience I started by visiting a running shop for new running shoes and socks. I would advise you and anybody else to do the same, take old shoes with you.

Getting the correct shoes should help you with aches and pains and socks should help prevent blisters. Some may think it’s a bit overkill but I would much rather spend up front and then be able to continue running fairly injury free.

As for the running, personally I started with a loop I can run from the door and ran and walked it until I could run all the way around. I only run every other day at the most as was advised and above etc.

I’m now trying to improve my overall general speed by working on my technique and concentration.

Good luck…….

roady_tony
    Free Member

what the last 2 posters said above ^^. I did the same thing a few years ago, take it easy, and slow to start, you will be AMAZED at how quick you end up getting back to long runs and how your fitness improves!

dont give up

and good luck!

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Wait until the pain stops. Warm up, gentle run/walk mix. 10 mins, increase the time you run very gradually, give yourself time to rest and repair. Dont change your shoes just yet, but buy some dedicated run shoes and make sure you’ve worn them around the house for a bit until your used to them.

Duggan

40mins is quite a long time to run.

As others have said I’d tone it down as if you haven’t run for ages than you will inevitably end up injuring yourself and it will be so frustrating. You’ll very quickly build up to longer runs again but I’d suggest only increasing diatnce by 10% each time and only then after you have run that distance a few times.

Running puts a LOT of stress on your joints etc so it would be best to start easier.

Gunz
    Free Member

I’ve done the same sort of thing, starting running as two kids meant I didn’t have ennough time to get sufficient exercise in on the bike.
    Firstly, I can’t recommend enough getting a proper running shop to fit you out with trainers. Alexandra Sports in Portsmouth were excellent and took me from hobbling around with shin splints to marathon distance in double quick time, well worth the extra money over an online purchase.
    Secondly, if you haven’t run much before follow one of the programmes on the Runners’ World site. They start at a very basic level and are well graduated.
    Lastly, don’t ignore injury or like me you’ll be on first name terms with the Physio for a long time.

ahwiles
    Free Member

10 mins, nice and easy, twice a week.

if it’s hard work, slow down.

no hills, up OR down.

run somewhere nice, don’t feel guilty if you have to drive there.

DezB
    Free Member

YES! you need to get new running shoes (and decent socks).
    I (this was when I used to run a lot), just bought some trainers that fitted, tried running and got hideous blisters on both arches.
    Went to a proper running shop, got fitted for some running shoes (they let you “test run” them) and never had the problem again. Thurlo (sp?) running socks too.

stumpy01

Don’t do so much in one go – build up to it.
    Make sure you have good shoes
    Warm up & down
    Run on grass if you can while your body gets used to the impact

As above – some running shoes have very high arches which will lead to blistering on your arch.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I thought the bicycle was invented so people didn’t have to run anymore.

2tyred

Proper shoes – get advice and accept the best ones for you may be quite expensive.

Stretching routine before and after – you want to gently stretch all the key muscles in your legs. Different routines work for different people. My routine does 5 different stretches, one each leg for 12 seconds each.

Shorter distance and gentler pace to start with. You will be able to build it up quickly.

At least a day’s rest between runs.

If something hurts, don’t run until it stops hurting.

Take it gently and you’ll find the beginner’s curve is great!

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Cheers guys.
    The pains died down today but i’ll give myself a few days to mend and maybe start again at the weekend.

I’ll have a look at those plans and stick to one. The 40 mins running didn’t bother me at all, wasn’t hard work and no discomfort whilst running…. it when I stopped it became apparant.

I’ll have a look for some new running shoes and wear them around the house as mentioned.

Can anyone recommend any places I can get fitted up arouns Stockport / Manchester way?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So went out last night a gentle 40 mins.

As above, there is your problem.

jeb

As Gunz say, make sure you got the right shoes, that you have been videofilmed,if not goo to a decent shop, to see if you fall in or out on your foot (pronation/supination)

Coyote
    Free Member

I started trying to run a few weeks ago. Whole WORLD of pain. Knees, shins, achilles. You name it, it hurt. However as other have said you need to start slow and work up gradually. I’m still struggling with the running but the pain is no longer present. It’s all about adjusting just don’t push yourself too hard too quick.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Don’t go running with Surfer whatever you do!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The whole shoes lark is a complete crock of bollocks.

I did a half marathon in 1.45 in cheap internet-bought shoes (my first ever distance run and I wasn’t a runner before training for it). I enjoyed it so I treated myself to a ‘proper’ fitting and spent £££££££s on a pair of shoes to correct my gait.

They have always been very uncomfortable, cause me more problems (pain in knees, pins and needles in my feet) and I much prefer the old ones.

And they were fitted by Up & Running so there is an expectation they were (or should have been) fitted correctly.

Duggan

I thought the bicycle was invented so people didn’t have to run anymore.

The good thing about running is it involves:

Putting on shorts, t-shirt and trainers
    Go out and run

No cleaning, oiling chains, repairing punctures, adopting silly clothes, packing multi-tools, food, waterproofs, faffing with indexing gears, £250 lights or indeed driving for an hour to go and run.

I mean I love mtbing but if you’re pushed for time in the week…an hour running does you the world of good and you’re back home in time for Coronation Street*

*I don’t watch Coronoation Street

Coyote
    Free Member

Agree with Duggan 100%. This is exactly why I started to try running. I love biking but current work committments mean I am often away from home over night and whilst in summer it’s great to throw a bike in the back of the car, it’s a bit more awkward in winter. Get to the hotel, kit on and out the door. Better than festering in my room all evening or joining the other barflies business travellers in islands of isolation in the bar.

I don’t watch Coronation St either.

surfer
    Free Member

Don’t go running with Surfer whatever you do!

😳

I’m a reformed character!

seanoc
    Free Member

Just be careful you don’t get the bug and disappear into the mountains for 6+ hours looking for that 7000ft of vertical ascent. 40 minutes isn’t too long, if you hurt then stop if you don’t then keep going.

Running is great but it is painful at times. But; shoes, socks, shorts, t-shirt, go!

You can have your gait analysed and be given some corrective shoes but no amount of EVA foam or support pillars are going to help in the long run (see what I did there). These shoes are probably going to be full RRP too.

If you are buying from the web can I recommend a neutral trainer rather than a supported one; this way your foot will be happier with you as you’re not forcing it to do something you don’t want to do.

If your using Salmon XA Pro’s then these are ace for trail work and they have a pretty low drop so you may be working your Achilles and ankle a little more than if you had a pair of Asics Nimbus (or similair mid-range road shoe); that’ll account for the arch pain and the stairs difficulty.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

if you hurt then stop if you don’t then keep going

Dreadful advice – the muscular pain won’t be apparent for a while after any run and a fit cyclist will be able to run quite some distance before feeling other pains/discomfort.

OP – please don’t follow that daft advice!

phil.w
    Free Member

The whole shoes lark is a complete crock of bollocks.

I did a half marathon in 1.45 in cheap internet-bought shoes (my first ever distance run and I wasn’t a runner before training for it). I enjoyed it so I treated myself to a ‘proper’ fitting and spent £££££££s on a pair of shoes to correct my gait.

They have always been very uncomfortable, cause me more problems (pain in knees, pins and needles in my feet) and I much prefer the old ones.

And they were fitted by Up & Running so there is an expectation they were (or should have been) fitted correctly.

I would have thought this experience showed you that the shoes make a difference? And that buying the right pair for you and your usage is important.

seanoc
    Free Member

No, shoes trying to make your feet do what your feet don’t want to do leads to those problems. Expensive, corrective shoes will do this (probably, and in my experience).

Obviously a little bit of knowledge will help with your Internet/Sports Direct/Go Outdoors/Field & Treck purchase.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I would have thought this experience showed you that the shoes make a difference? And that buying the right pair for you and your usage is important.

Sorry? I don’t understand your argument. I spent money having the ‘correct’ shoes fitted (as is often recommended on here) and my experience of it is that it led to problems, not solved them. So my experience suggests that getting the ‘right pair’ correctly fitted isn’t necessarily right for some runners.

At the end of the day, I have spent 40+ years over-pronating and my joints have adjusted to that so getting a pair of running shoes to correct it just puts stresses in places I have never had them before.

seanoc
    Free Member

MF; you sould like a prime candidate for a natural running shoe. Try that for 40 minutes on your first outing and try hobbling down the stairs the day after.

surfer
    Free Member

At the end of the day, I have spent 40+ years over-pronating and my joints have adjusted to that so getting a pair of running shoes to correct it just puts stresses in places I have never had them before.

I agree with this your body will adapt given enough time. My friend also over pronates a lot particulalrly on one leg. He has an impressive list of times and race wins over many years and the only time the over pronation caused him an issue was when he tried to correct it using ant pronation shoes. He switched back to neutral shoes and the problems disapeared. His body has compensated for the over pronation on its own.

surfer
    Free Member

natural running shoe

As oppose too…..

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

MF; you sould like a prime candidate for a natural running shoe. Try that for 40 minutes on your first outing and try hobbling down the stairs the day after.

See my OP – I ran a half marathon in 1.45 in neutral shoes bought off the internet without problems. My problems started when I got shoes to ‘correct’ my gait. I only found out I had a problem with my gait when I bought the ‘you need to have shoes matched to your running style, come and have yourself filmed’ guff and spent nearly £100 on a pair of shoes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Help!!!!… Beginner runner in a world of pain!!!’ is closed to new replies.