Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Help! Advice Needed: thinnest gear cable outers needed for FTM!!
  • mikedoubleu
    Free Member

So I bought a Titus FTM from On-one to replace the stumpy that was stolen. Its the carbon one with internal routing. I’m sure I’ve seen this on here before but basically one of the routings is narrower than the other.

The problem is this: a gear cable goes through each and the larger one also takes the hydraulic cable for the rear brake. However the seat tube has a weird seat post clamp so you can’t use a quick release. I want to run a reverb uppy-downy post anyway and have one on order BUT its not going to route internally unless anyone can suggest narrower gear cable outers that I might be able to fit 2 of down the narrower of the internal routings.

Switched the ride-ons to some standard shimano but still they both don’t fit… Any suggestions? Roadie cables? Or I am just going to have to get used to having one one loose cable with nothing to tie it to?

Thought about asking On-One but the word on the forum would be to save my breath. Thanks in advance.

Mike

ruscle
    Free Member

Jag wire outers can be quite thin, say 1-2mm less in diameter. If no joy jagwire also do some stick on cable guides where you can then clip the hose to with those c style plastic clips or you can zip tie them.

njee20
    Free Member

Alligator Mini I-links, but not cheap.

Road gear cables are no different, and the brake outers aren’t either.

Jagwire (or any others) can’t be that much thinner – a gear inner cable is 1.2mm, the outer is 4mm, ie a wall thickness of 1.4mm, you’re not gonna cut much out of that!

Zip ties would be the easiest solution.

Make the hole bigger!?

Graham_Clark

Don’t run a front mech is another option… (and the one I’m toying with)

mikedoubleu
    Free Member

Thanks all. Not going to try and make the hole bigger in the carbon frame!! Still waiting to hear back from On-One… the man I need to speak to is on his lunch (gets a very long lunch, it seems).

Dont thinks the alligators will fit any better, anyone use them? It would be an expensive trial unless anyones got a little left over I could try for size?

1×10 might be the way to go I suppose. Just dropped from 3×9 to 2×10 so might try 1×10 when/if the reverb arrives.

Mike

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’m using jagwire gear cables and there’s only room for a brake hose and gear outer in the larger opening….no uppy downy cable in the mix. A single outer in the other side.

Could you use sealed gear cables, like gore, that have a liner and then only use the liner through the frame? You’d need to fashion up some kind of bungs to act as cable stops for the outer where it goes into the frame though?

gixerator
    Free Member

just turn the seat post clamp into a QR. Is a dropper that essential?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Help! Advice Needed: thinnest gear cable outers needed for FTM!!’ is closed to new replies.