Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Help a singlespeed n00b out
  • schrickvr6
    Free Member

I'm building up a DJ/street bike and thought I'd go for a SS setup instead of my usual 1×9, save a few quid and probably suit the bike better…

Anyway I'm trying to get my head around all the 1/8 and 3/32 stuff, am I right in thinking 1/8 is wider and therefore stronger?

Will a 1/8 setup work with a Saint single chainring?

What is the best sprocket/spacers to use with an alloy freehub?

My second dilemna is ratios, I've got the 34t Saint ring I'm hoping to use and I want a ratio that won't spin out stupidly easy but also won't stall doing slow flatland stuff. I'm reasonably strong and run 36×11-32 on both my bikes atm and don't very often use the two easiest gears.

Does 34×15 sound reasonable or would closer to 2:1 be a better place to start?

Cheers

ski
    Free Member

Yep, should be fine

Surly do a reasonable fat one, pricey mind, any spacers will do as long as you can sort out a straight chainline with them.

Does 34×15 sound reasonable or would closer to 2:1 be a better place to start?

How hilly schrickvr6?

clubber
    Free Member

am I right in thinking 1/8 is wider and therefore stronger?

In theory maybe. In reality I've never noticed any difference. 1/8" chains are typically cheap though

Yes

One with a wide base where it touches the freehub body – narrow ones will cause dents in the soft aluminium.

Does 34×15 sound reasonable

Hard to say. Most people got for 2:1 or a bit easier but that's for mtbing rather than DJ/Street where I'm assuming you won't be climbing hills so slightly higher than 2:1 will probably be ok – easiest thing is just to find a ratio on your normal geared bike that you like and go for that.

ski
    Free Member

btw, I run 32:17 on pretty much everything I ride, if I want it a bit easier I drop to 32:18, but its fairly hilly round my parts 😉

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

Hollowtech two bottom bracket spacers are the right size to space out a sprocket.
    You can also bodge one out of a milk carton top though i am going to replace this soon.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I'm up on top of a hill so wherever I go there's a bitch of a climb to get back but I don't mind pushing, I think I might try 34-16 and go from there.

I've spotted some dirt cheap spacers on the bay but wow, £20 for a Surly sprocket starts to make 1×9 seem attractive again lol.

What about the *whispers* SSC ones? They're only £8 but are they forged from a block of cheddar?

Cheers all.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Help a singlespeed n00b out’ is closed to new replies.