• This topic has 73 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ART.
Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Help a Lidl virgin – What's good?
  • cinnamon_girl

Get with the branding Dez! 😉

stick_man

Full fat yoghurts

Slices of funny Euro-cheese with the holes in.

Giant Yorkshire puddings

DezB
    Free Member

Never!

Oh, the Greek yogurts (4 in a pack) are nice too.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Love their luxury fruit and nut muesli

It actually looks like the picture on the bag and isn’t just dust.

Luxury stucky toffee pudding is nice too.

nuke

Amongst many other things mentioned, we have a thing for their frozen croquettes 😳

ctk
    Free Member

Saw somebody chucking near enough a whole leg of that LIDL serrano ham at the tip the other day. Were they £100? Must have been £75 worth left- mouldy as **** in his defence.

The Lidl deluxe jam is good 75% fruit.

Kit
    Free Member

Hang on, I’ll just instruct Caruthers to go and quiz the oiks on the* estate

You rang m’lud?

dti

the muesli is good – but check out the sugar content

jimster01

Risotto rice,£1.80 a kilo. As others have said, veg really good value,occasional specials, pasta,fresh meat, booze, can virtually do a weeks shop there.

I know in malvern link there are more waitrose bags in Lidl’s than there are in waitrose.

Clobber
    Free Member

What about dried pulses, do they have decent bags of lentils etc.?

DezB
    Free Member

we have a thing for their frozen croquettes

Ooh, the jalapeno and cheese ones! Lovely 🙂

CraigW
    Free Member

What about dried pulses, do they have decent bags of lentils etc.?

They have red lentils, and split peas, and broth mix I think. I’ve not seen any other dried beans, at least in my local Lidl. Also have tinned kidney beans, they are fine, cheap enough.

Klunk
    Free Member

Luxury stucky toffee pudding is nice too.

it is, they do a gooey chocolate thing in the same range which very nice too. Also the “proper” OJ is fabulous for the money, if you can get it, they sell by the crate here 😯

carthorse73
    Free Member

The trouble with Lidl and Aldi is that any savings I make on the shopping get offset by my inability to stop buying stuff like digital vernier calipers and sets of o rings.
    The missus sent me to our local Lidl yesterday for cereals ( our kids are addicted to the Choco Shells) and I ended up coming back with 3 boxes of cereal and a pillar drill……..

peekay

The random selection of stuff in the middle of the shop are called “magic beans”

chakaping
    Free Member

Their new ‘own brand’ ales are really nice.

The choc cornettos are great too.

And they often do 2 baguettes for a quid, which are a cut above the other supermarket versions.

Kamakazie

Interesting to see the comments on their Fruit & Veg. Round here the quality of F&V at Lidl is awful.

I tend to prefer Aldi for pretty much everything. Their Weetabix is definitely better!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Weetabix is gross. Not just Lidl, all of it.

MrOvershoot

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

Weetabix is gross. Not just Lidl, all of it.

+1000 the smell is rank & working in a flour mill it just reminds me of compressed wheatfeed, the waste product we send to feed mills for bulking up animal feed.

wonnyj
    Free Member

As a general rule:

Ingredients = good
    Ready meal type stuff = bad
    Anything involving marzipan = amazing

Pretty much spot on.

Although I do like the stuff pasta and I find the wine a bit hit and miss.

As far as I can tell, they tend to do only one big restock at the start of the day, so sometimes the shelves are a bit bare come 8pm.

grum
    Free Member

Ready meal type stuff = bad

Except the lasagne is great.

Their new ‘own brand’ ales are really nice.

+1

Lidl used to be bad for bread, and bad for fruit and veg – they’ve sorted that out and I find it really good for both now. Always been good for cold meats, continental type cheeses, really cheap for beans, tomatoes etc – decent wine. The ‘deluxe’ filled pasta is really good. Habanero flavoured almonds, mmmm…..

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-3093017/Lidl-retains-crown-best-value-wine-M-S-branded-poorest-latest-league-table-experts.html

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 on the stroepwaffles and plain chocolate, especially eaten together

Mmmmmm

disco_stu
    Free Member

Protein rolls, oatcakes, muesli, fresh fruit & veg, nuts, cheese, cured meats. Some of the own brand ales are pretty good as well.

molgrips
    Free Member

My mum shops there.

The chocolate spread is horrible, nothing like as good as Nutella
    The ketchup is nothing like as good as Heinz
    The crunchy oat cereal is nothing like as good as Jordan’s

Kamakazie

Those that like the Lidl stuffed pasta should try the Giovanni Rana stuff, always cheap at Iceland and way way better.

grum
    Free Member

Those that like the Lidl stuffed pasta should try the Giovanni Rana stuff

That is also very nice – Iceland though…

natrix
    Free Member

I’ve kinda given up on Aldi due to little car parks and a refusal to queue.

Maybe you’ve moved, but the Aldi in Blackwater always has loads of car park spaces 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The little snack packs of crayfish tails are excellent, only about 99p and really fresh tasting.

steve-g
    Free Member

The mens aftershave stuff is exactly the same as Hugo Boss, and the womens perfume thing is exactly the same as Coco Mademoiselle. I saw it on a TV show about 4 years ago and it was the reason I first went there. They are £4 each instead of £30-40 for the real thing, and I repeat are EXACTLY THE SAME.

Once they were on sale for £2

Other than that,

Stroopwaffles
    Stolen
    Cheddar
    Fromage Frais yoghurts for the kids
    Imitation hula hoops and skips
    Bread
    All the Veg
    I want to say schnitzels, but I think they are just at Aldi

natrix
    Free Member

Stolen
    Cheddar

If you steal the cheddar it’s the same price everywhere!! 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

The Onken cherry yog for 99p/pot that they have in this week is nice with the luxury fruit and nut muesli (blue bag) for brekkies BTW.

budgierider67

Cepa Lebrel Rioja Reserva 2010 Is my default red wine. The bakery is great. We love their fresh cookies at work and the new pain aux raisin are as good as Waitrose. Their mozzarella is much better than the bland stuff sold by most other supermarkets too.

benpinnick

The Low GI instore baked loaf is awesome. I don’t give a monkeys about the GI bit – its simply the nicest bread around.

Also the french speciality cheese when on half price is a total steal.

ART

Fruit & veg – choice of ‘exotics’ gets better all the time
    Pastries are brill
    Dried fruit & nuts
    Olive oils
    Tinned goods – chopped toms/ pulses etc
    Deluxe crisps
    Unsalted butter
    Massive pots of Greek yoghurt
    Continental cheeses – all sorts
    Own brand mayo/ ketchup
    Foil/ kitchen cleaning stuff/ washing liquids etc
    The specials e.g Greek week when you can get massive tubs of feta or Italian when they do huge pasta varieties are fab
    Can buy a trolly load of stuff in Lidl & then spend exactly the same amount in Waitrose for stuff that all fits in one basket…oops

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Help a Lidl virgin – What's good?’ is closed to new replies.