Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Help a grumpy old man choose a bike to die with…
  • crikey
    Free Member

I never ask for bike related info because I’m old and therefore think I know everything…

I’d like a new mountain bike to last me for a few years and I’m getting a bit stuck. I’d like something like a Santa Cruz Chameleon, but built up in a XC style spec; I’ve never really got on with full suss, always feel like I’m dragging un-needed stuff about for the odd occasion when it gets bumpy.

Essentially I’m looking for a hardtail that is closer to a cross bike than a downhill bike, but will cope with the occasional outing with my suspended mates without being a long travel burly salad dodging thing.

In simple terms, which On-One?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What you need is a Rock Lobster from Merlin.

They do a alu one for £200, a 853 one for £250 and a titanium one for £650.

crikey
    Free Member

A mate had a Rock Lobster, and it was good, but a bit flexy/steely/twangy for me.
    I’m thinking a Klein Attitude with attitude, a bit like the attractive larger lady who would be value for money but light on her feet?

aw
    Free Member

Klein Attitude…what about mine pictured here

buttercup
    Free Member

I’d go for the on-one. Can’t beat £175 of glory steel.
    I was recently thinking of swapping my bluepig for a Summer Season.. but they are pretty much the same bike..

allthegear
    Free Member

Why not get a cross bike, then? Ride it down the trails with the young’uns on their bouncy things and make them look silly..

That kind of hard-as-nails-old-bloke look.

Rachel

crikey
    Free Member

Sorry, I’m not being very clear. I have a Klein Attitude which is a lovely thing but is a bit too retro racer to trash, and I have a cross bike which I love, just done the 3 peaks on it.

I want a hardtail that is a bit burlier than the Attitude, but not a jump bike/all mountain thing.

I’m looking at the On-One carbon bikes, but I dunno?

IanW
    Free Member

Same sort of thought process brought me to a Salsa Fargo, just need to buy one before I change my mind ..again.

samuri
    Free Member

Why not actually a Chameleon? Lots of people use them as XC bikes, me included.

Funnest bike ever.

crikey
    Free Member

I’m considering one, I do like them, but would aim to build it in a more XC style than as a batter yourself bike.

Dunno. Dunno. Dunno.

nicko74

I can’t help thinking Cotic: possibly a Soul, Soda if you like the idea of ‘bike for life’, or BFe if you want something with the potential for flinging it down a hill. Yes, more expensive than On-One, but the build quality (IMHO) is better, and the overall feel is one I prefer.

And

a bit like the attractive larger lady who would be value for money but light on her feet?

Your concept is intriguing to me – can you explain further? Are you suggesting that you measure women by their value for money (pound for £)? And whether they have good footwork??

wrecker
    Free Member

It is indeed a good measure of a woman.
    Great call on the soda or soul.
    I’ll add the Brodie holeshot Ti.

crikey
    Free Member

Are you suggesting that you measure women by their value for money (pound for £)? And whether they have good footwork??

On occasion it helps to have some form of discriminatory factor, otherwise you could end up with anyone!

I feel I shall investigate the potential of the 456…

oldgit
    Free Member

Oooh tough one.

BTW did it hurt asking a question on STW 🙂

I always fancied a Stiffee in XC guise, don’t know if they still do them.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

Chameleons are great. I have one built up fairly light with 140 forks and use it for most ‘everyday’ riding.

Other than that, a lot of people like the Cotic Soul.

ton

i keep going thru this. wanting 1 bike that will last, i will be happy with and is ok at everything.

had a stiffee, it could possibly (with the right wheels and seatpost) be ok.
    never had a chameleon, and with the slightly longer toptube, this could be the top of my list for choice.
    has a rocklobter 853 too in the past, very nice, but a bit to flimsy/delicate for me now.

spikyjames
    Free Member

Kinesis XC Pro 3?

crikey
    Free Member

I shall ponder a while longer.

I notice the lack of enthusiasm for the carbon on one, and shall include this in my calculations.

chakaping
    Free Member

Carbon 456 sounds like a great choice to me.

It’s stiff but not harsh, very light and has really nice geometry.

Love mine and can’t imagine wanting to change it.

mccett
    Free Member

The carbon On One is a great bike and i loved riding it esp with big forks….how long are you expecting to live though?
    Not because of any issues about longevity, its just that after a while having something that resembles a tossup between a Stealth bomber and a UPVC window gets on your goat. Sold mine. Maybe one of the coloured ones would have been better.

Cotic or some other Ti thing. Hummer maybe?

crikey
    Free Member

Like carbon, got 2 carbon roadies and would have a carbon crosser in a mo.

I’m just being hard to please, I’d like a cross bike that would do DH really..

phil56

no intention of testing the theory, but if I was going down the one bike route I’d agree the Salsa Fargo makes a good argument. Seriously good fun.

dropoff

Stiffee 🙂 The one do it all bike. Would like to say handjob but I’ve never ridden one and they did get some bad press a few years ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Help a grumpy old man choose a bike to die with…’ is closed to new replies.