Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Helmets – well vented MTB or roadie?
  • Kahurangi

so I smashed up my commute helmet t’other day and in need of a replacement.

I had a MET Kaos UL – I loved
    -good coverage
    -well vented
    -not heavy
    -no atomic mushroom head
    -the gel pad didn’t absorb sweat
    but
    -didn’t fit great
    -the gel pad left a mark on your forehead!

Is there anything similar that I’d ride to work most days and take out on the MTB as well?

Or should I just get a roadie helmet for the commute and a Giro Hex for the MTB?

njee20
    Free Member

I use Spesh 2Ds and Prevails on road and MTB. The 2D has sort of been replaced by the S3 as a cheaper alternative, very nice helmets.

jeffl

Just use one helmet for both if you’re happy with your hex?

Kahurangi

jeffl – I’ve not used a hex before but have tried one on. They’re comfy and cheap but I’m not sure how well vented they are compared to the Kaos or a proper roadie helmet.

stumpy01

I got a Giro Savant a few months ago (was reduced from £60 to £36 in Cycle Surgery) and it is probably the most comfortable helmet I’ve ever had. Decent pads, well vented, light, easy to adjust.

I used to always be a fan of Bell, but the current one I’ve got for the mtb is a bit rubbish; not that comfy & the adjustment never feels right. Oh, and the clips that hold the straps just below your ears always slip, so need constant adjustment.

Before the Bell I had a Met Veleno and that was rubbish. Good vents but the pads were awful, the adjustment pretty rubbish and it just wasn’t a good fit (probably more my fault for not trying it on for long enough).

The Giro Savant is my first Giro helmet, but if they are all as good as this one, I think I am now a Giro convert.
    (Although, tried a Catlike Whisper – I think that’s what it’s called) in Halfords a while back and that was very nice).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Helmets – well vented MTB or roadie?’ is closed to new replies.