Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Helmets for a round head…..
  • RustySpanner

….as opposed to an oval one.
    🙂

Have used Giro road lids for a while but they’ve changed the shape and seem to put a bit more pressure on my temples.

Specialized seem to suit an oval head shape and are too narrow and long for me.
    My old medium Monza and my wife’s Hex fit perfectly, but the new Savant and Array don’t.

A bit of research suggests Bell might be a goer.

No experience of any other makes, any ideas?

Always try them on before buying, but my lbs’s don’t seem to carry much stock of anything anymore and I’d like to avoid wasted journeys.

Will get used on and off road.
    Not fussed about make.

Thanks in advance.

RustySpanner

Bermp..

rocketman
    Free Member

Mavic Notch very round indeed
    TLD A1 not particularly round but has enough padding and adjustability to accomodate a wide range of head shapes

gonzy
    Free Member

my head shape is oval-ish and the giro helmets are a perfect fit…so is the toy lee a1. my friend has a round shaped head and also uses a troy lee a1…which again is a perfect fit
    we’ve both tried the bell super r and neither of us could get them to feel comfortable
    my helmet size is s/m and i couldnt get the small size super r to even get beyond halfway on my head. the medium did fit but was digging inot the crown of my head and the large was too big for me. my friend is a m/l and he had similar problems

the urge helmets might be an option for you though
    not had any experience of any other helmet brands

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Try a different Giro? NOS on the same design you used to have?

Giro Xar fits me well (and previous Giros) . My Specialized was never comfortable (pressure on forehead). Can’t quite make up my mind about my Mavic Plasma. It’s not uncomfortable but I don’t feel it fits as well as my Giros.

ransos
    Free Member

Have a look at Lazer – they have a fancy system for adjusting the fit, and I find mine supremely comfortable.

pierrestozza
    Free Member

my bulbous swede fits nicely in an IXS trail.
    (that a very kind friend gave me)
    currently on offer on CRC if that helps.

ixs trail

maccruiskeen

neilthewheel

+1 for Mavic. Would fit Charlie Brown.

edhornby

Have you tried catlike? I have a very oval head and when I tried a catlike whisper once it felt like a mixing bowl with a strap so may be spot on for you

Ed-it: just remembered that I tried it on in halfords, they had quite a range and there’s one in every town pretty much

pictonroad

Bell and Catlike.

Potato heads of the world unite.

widge34
    Free Member

IXS Trail. So comfortable. Just bought another one from CRC on offer £42

nicholas_yiu

I have a very round and large head, tried many. Bell super (the old one) fitted well, but the super 2 does not fit at all as the shape gone more oval.

The others I tried that fit were the Fox metah and bluegrass golden eye. The bluegrass fitted best which is what I went for but I would say either are fine.

RustySpanner

Cheers everyone.

Have now tried Catlike and Kask (which I’d tried briefly before).

Both a lot better than the current Giro fit, the Kask looks a bit better made, but I like the look of the Catlike…

Both seem fine, but will try the other recommendations before deciding.

Much appreciated.
    Thanks be to our Mekon overlords.

RustySpanner

Thanks everyone.

Tried a few Bells on today.
    My word, they really are wider than they are long.
    🙂
    Not keen on the single finger wheel thingy but nice looking and very well made.

Specialized Airnet fitted well, but they look a bit Super Mario to me, huge things.
    So no.

Cateye Whisper is lovely, as close to good looking as a lid can get, but felt a bit insubstantial and the retention system felt fragile.

Ended up with a Kask Mojito.
    Much nicer padding than the better looking Rapido.
    Both felt very solidly made.

It fits and feels great, but is very, very ugly – bulbous and with a pointless fin on the back.
    At least I can’t see it when it’s on.
    🙂

Great service from Merlin btw.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Helmets for a round head…..’ is closed to new replies.