Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Helmet straps and wind noise
  • nixie

Anyone else have issue with wind noise from helmet straps? I’ve been finding recently I’ve been getting this loads problem loads from my Xen. If I hold the straps against my cheek while riding the noise goes away, however I’ve not managed to get them to sit like this. TBH noise has probably always been there and I’ve only just started to notice it. Very annoying though now I do notice it. Anyone found a way to reduce or remove it?

jam-bo

take the helmet off.

wl
    Free Member

WTF?

nixie

take the helmet off.

I do, once I stop riding!

bruneep

Either slow down or go faster than the speed of sound.

atlaz
    Free Member

Can’t say I notice it on the MTB. Notice it on the road bike but it doesn’t bother me anyway as I’ve not tried riding without a helmet at speed so assume it’s the same with or without, given there’s wind present both times.

nixie

😀

…. I had a feeling this thread might attract silly answers

bigyinn
    Free Member

Does your freewheel noise similarly irritate you?

nixie

Can’t say I notice it on the MTB. Notice it on the road bike but it doesn’t bother me anyway as I’ve not tried riding without a helmet at speed so assume it’s the same with or without, given there’s wind present both times.

It seems to be the wind interacting with the straps to make a much worse noise, almost like the straps direct the flow into the ear. There is still noise when the straps are flat, or even lifted out of the way but 10-15% of the with strap noise.

nixie

Does your freewheel noise similarly irritate you?

No, noisy hopes all the way.

BlobOnAStick

Can’t say it bothers me to that extent. But if you’re going to obsess about it then how about surgical tape to hold the straps tight against your head? You’d look really sane, honest!

I have wondered if wind noise (just in your ears) for hours on end when road riding has ever caused tinnitus or other hearing difficulties…..

Edit: look at this http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-561307.html

druidh
    Free Member

I can’t be parsed looking for it but I did once see a device that clipped onto your helmet straps to lessen this.

PiknMix
    Free Member

speed up

MrAgreeable

If I hold the straps against my cheek while riding the noise goes away

So if you put your hands in front of your ears the wind noise goes away?

How about…

nixie

Perfect for the winter, no more cold ears! And they’ll even hold me phone :D.

I can’t be parsed looking for it but I did once see a device that clipped onto your helmet straps to lessen this.

hmm, will have a look for that then, or try to make one.

I have wondered if wind noise (just in your ears) for hours on end when road riding has ever caused tinnitus or other hearing difficulties…..

It definitely does in cars. Used to get it badly if I had the roof down before I started to use ear plugs. Would last for a few hours before subsiding. Also apparently common issue for motor bikers. Some good suggestions on that thread.

druidh
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member

Ah! That pic above ^^ for the winter I use those headphone things (Slipstreams?) attached to the straps. No cold ears, no wind noise. Look the business 😉

[edit]druidh’s got it! Can you still get em?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Mine whistles when i use it and occassionaly the straps hit me hard in the face

Not really sure what can be done tbh

Better adjustment of strap I assume to avoid random slapping

only ever happens when it is very windy though

nixie

Thanks druidh, looks perfect. Think I’ll give those a go.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Helmet straps and wind noise’ is closed to new replies.