Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Helmet query
  • MarkiMark
    Free Member

I have a head circumference of 62cm, meaning I need a large hat, but I find that most are too round, so press on the front and back of my head. My head is long and thin. Does anybody know which brand of cycling helmet might best suit my deformed bonce.
    Cheers, Mark

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Italian ones? In motorcycling italian helmets tend to fit folk with long and thin heads, german ones for folk with round heads

rwc03
    Free Member

Kask are one size fits all, a bit expensive but worth it in my opinion. If I couldn’t see the peak I’d forget I had it on. Crc did have the road versions discounted, still might.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Im 61cm & just bought a Met for £48.00 on offer of a Co off fleabay,but most of them are the one size jobby,but only go up to 61cm,try Giro or any of the good quality brands,like the guys have said,CRC & the like are doing deals,but theres the odd one cheap on ebay too.

hilldodger
    Free Member

An ill fitting poorly secured helmet will be neither comfortable nor effective, well worth going to “real” shop to try a few on rather than take a punt online.

As for the national headshape stereotyping 🙄 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hilldodger – daft tho it seems its well known in motorcycling that helmets from different countries tend to have different shapes.

zovelo
    Free Member

Giro’s Venti is specially made for those that are on a budget but blessed with a bigger bonce, or for a bit more money a Large sized Kask K50 MTB has a great adjusting system to work better with different head shapes.
    Worth trying both of those for size before buying, so could mean a trip to your LBS instead of going for straight the online bargain and hoping it’s comfortable.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As for the national headshape stereotyping

Well, it’s a fact. Giro, for example, use a head mould for development which is based on a Northern European/American standard, while Met and Kask use one based on a Southern European/Latin standard shape.

Much though it pains me to defend TJ and say he’s right, especially on a helmet thread, he’s right.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

One size fits all with an adjusting system is a big compromise that reduces the effectiveness greatly. TRL showed this in their analysis of cycl helmets. If you can fit a finger in between the shell and your head then its too big and has not got the effectiveness it should have.

If you are going to wear one – wear one that will work as intended

The illustration above is designed to demonstrate the effect of a helmet which does not fit correctly. On the left, the helmet is not a snug correct fit to the head. On the right, the helmet fits snugly and touches the head at all points. The red areas denote the effective crumple zone in each case. As you can see, the area covered when the helmet is the correct size is quite noticeably larger than that in the helmet which does not fit. This in turn means that there is less material which can be crushed leading to less energy absorption.

http://www.whycycle.co.uk/safety_and_security/cycling_helmets/

campfreddie
    Free Member

My bonce measures in at just over 61cm… i’ve just taken delivery of a Spiuk Nexion helmet bought from Fudge Cycles for £40 (reduced from £75). It can be used for road or XC riding (it comes with a removable peak) and fits my large bonce like a glove.

The lovely thing about it is that it is not at all wide. If your head fits in it, it is well worth a go. I spent all of last week weighing up my options and this came out on top.

I especially love the insect netting on the inside front vents.

http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=158022&o=157988

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Helmet query’ is closed to new replies.