Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Helmet mounted rear light – for road use
  • scratch
    Free Member

Any tips? bright as possible and not to bulky.
    For use on the commute and a lot of winter training……

Are knog any good or do they just look kinda cool?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Moon Shield 60.

And a proper light on the bike as well.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i like this

alfabus
    Free Member

I’ve got a cateye holy handgrenade which I clip on to the strap at the bottom/back of my helmet (giro monza) for commuting.

Seems to sit quite well there, I don’t notice it when wearing it.

Good all round visibility, and crazy bright if it shines right at you.

Dave

scratch
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of Smarts on the bike which are fine, just wanted the extra visibility higher up for trucks and whatnot really.

STATO
    Free Member

Be careful mounting anything to the top of your hat. I got passed by a roadie where their only light was a Joystick on the helmet with a clip-on red-eye rear light. Only problem was the joystick was adjusted to point at the ground so the rear light was pointing at the sky, and when they were in the drops the back of the helmt completely blocked the view of the rear pointed light! so they were piratically invisible!

Harry_the_Spider

ASDA do an arm band mounted one for about 3 quid that can be threaded through the vents on the back of your hat.

jota180
    Free Member

and when they were in the drops the back of the helmt completely blocked the view of the rear pointed light! so they were piratically invisible!

You see loads similar don’t you?
    You know, light clipped on the backpack etc not in a position to maximum visibility from the rear.
    I’ve actually shouted to a couple of them in the past – when out running – that you can’t see their rear light. One even stopped, adjusted it and then shouted “HOW’S THAT” as he pedalled away.

vertebratetom

Skullies are pretty handy – you can stick them on virtually anything. I have one on the back of my helmet virtually all the time. Stupidly bright too.

That link was just to show you them – you can get them separately and for way less than that!

P7Pro

I use an Exposure Flare rear light with a bracket from an Exposure Flash front light. Fits onto the rear of my Giro Xen neatly. It’s a very bright light (I use it all year round on my commute).

jota180
    Free Member

These are quite good if they have any left

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_26729.htm

Pickers

How about these from Bontrager
    Got one on the back of my helmet, but with two proper lights on the bike as well.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I use a couple of cheap lights from tesco, similar size to the skully but with a velcro strap. I mount one on each side of my helmet, lights at the top of a helmet can be easily made invisible as mentioned above. This is obvioulsy in addition to bike mounted lights.

crazy-legs

and when they were in the drops the back of the helmt completely blocked the view of the rear pointed light! so they were practically invisible!

^^ This. I’ve got 2 lights on the seatpost, one mounted under the saddle in a little cradle type mount and then a Fibre Flare on my rucksack, low down so it doesn’t just point at the sky.

Lights on helmets really aren’t worth in IMHO, it’s difficult for people behind to work out what it is if it’s just bobbing around and only visible occasionally.

Go for drivers head height. Seatpost, saddle, lower back (or bottom of rucksack) for most cyclists.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Lights on helmets really aren’t worth in IMHO, it’s difficult for people behind to work out what it is if it’s just bobbing around and only visible occasionally

May well be difficult for people to work out what it is but while they’re wondering then at least they know there is something there to be avoided. The more lights, and at different heights, the better in my opinion.

benslow
    Free Member

I use these : Cateye SL-LD110 rear LED Loop cycle Light

CATEYE

They’re very effective and bright. Also tough and easy to strap to the back part of the helmet.

Only downside is the type of battery they use but you get approx 100hrs from one when flashing.

brooess
    Free Member

decent light on the front is good. As said above, mount far enough back (right at the back rather than in top) so it’s horizontal when you’re head down.

I have a decent 3LED Cateye in this position and I get double takes from pedestrians and car drivers all the time, which suggest it’s noticeable!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Lights on helmets really aren’t worth in IMHO, it’s difficult for people behind to work out what it is if it’s just bobbing around and only visible occasionally.

as a driver I think they’re the opposite, they make it really obvious there’s a person there as it’s at head height.

But then I don’t like flashing lights, much prefer seeing cyclists with constant lights as they’re easier to judge.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I use a Femoto thingy . The straps suit my helmet!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Helmet mounted rear light – for road use’ is closed to new replies.