Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Helmet mounted light for road riding
  • roverpig

I sometimes ride for a few miles on the road to get to/from the trails. My off-road bar mounted light is too bright and too broad to use on the road, but is there any reason why I shouldn’t use my helmet-mounted Joystick on the road. Being mounted on the helmet will mean that I can easily “dip” it to avoid dazzling drivers and it provides plenty of light on its own for road riding.

I’m not too worried about the legal or insurance implications. I’ll take my chances there. It’s more a case of whether it will do the job of lighting the way and getting me noticed.

Vortexracing

I use a exposure sirius for the very same job inc commuting 25 miles either way.

So my view is there is no reason to not do it.

roverpig

Thanks. That’s 100% support for the idea then. Good enough for me 🙂

cookeaa

I sometimes ride for a few miles on the road to get to/from the trails. My off-road bar mounted light is too bright and too broad to use on the road,

No “Low” setting? how about a DIY hood to keep the beam out of motorists eyes?

Being mounted on the helmet will mean that I can easily “dip” it to avoid dazzling drivers and it provides plenty of light on its own for road riding.

You reckon?

Almost everyone I see using a helmet light on the road seems to do the opposite and shine it straight in motorists eyes (unintentionally) when they look about, I bet they all think they’re being “Responsible” too.
    They glare off rear view mirrors too so you’ll even piss of traffic going the same direction
    Do you really want to be looking down/away every time a vehicle comes the other way?

TBH If you can afford a 2nd light for your noggin, you can afford a 2nd bar light with a lower power setting…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Helmet mounted light for road riding’ is closed to new replies.