Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Helmet lights – Do i really need one?
  • brassneck

Trout – certainly not knocking your lights, I hear nothing but good things, and if I didn’t already have a settled setup I’d be a customer 😉 – this is for my info.

If you’re pitching over a 45 degree drop of say 20 feet, is there enough light going down the slope to see what you’re dropping into? This is the weakness of every bar mounted light I’ve owned. The picture certainly looks promising.

If so, how much and where’s your website, Santa might get generous:-)
    Don’t think it’s touting if I ask is it?

Stevo210
    Free Member

close, its http://www.troutie.com

This shows the cut-away housing design to throw the light down.

trout
    Free Member

Brassneck Thanks for that inspiration that maybe a good idea for a small helmet cam video to show how it does the biz .

I Just need to find that perfect location now as all other vids have been flowing stuff

Ta For the Pic Stevo210

Luminous
    Free Member

Bright lights like the LL and 601, manage to throw down light right in front of the wheel.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

They do indeed throw light down – the LL or 601 on full whack kick out a huge amount of widely spread light with no dark spots at all especially right in front of the bike. It’s not like a long beam of a car headlight – it’s much more natural than that. “Throw” is probably effective for about 50 metres (I would say a car headlight is more like 150) but the level of detail you can see is amazing.

yetiguy
    Free Member

so trout, if i order one of your lights today, when would i get it?

Tempted to have one of yours on the bar and a diablo on the head

Northwind

Surf-Mat – Member

“An issue which people forget – land on your head with a very solid torch in the way and you’ll do yourself some pretty major damage.”

Hopefully someone will invent some sort of protective headwear to go between the torch and your skull.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I think there are some bits of trails I ride better at night because having a helmet light forces me to turn my head properly into turns.

I’m another Ay up user – probably would now go for something more powerful on the bars.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Northwind – you never know…

jonnyrockymountain

Hope vision 4 on bars hope vision 2 on helmet about £400 the lot
    The reason is hope’s fantastic customer service as well as bloody good lights that light up everything in front of you
    That is all you need!!!!!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Jonny – Hopes are very well made (I have a Vision 1) but they just aren’t up there brightness wise. Stick a Hope 4 next to a Luminous 601 or Troutie LL and it looks pretty lame and IMO you get top notch service from both too. Hope’s build quality is hard to beat but for the engineering nerds amoung us (I am one) – get an LL or a 601 and you’ll see the build quality instantly. Add the latest XPG LEDs, double the brightness of a Hope 4 and for less money and the Hope starts to look a little lame.

And that’s from a total Hope fan – Hope hoops, headset, skewers, seat binder, etc, etc.

Northwind

Yup. To me, great customer service would include updating the lights, not selling fairly outdated kit for premium prices.

trout
    Free Member

Not knocking Hope either as a Fan of their stuff and its made 15 miles away nearly in Yorkshire .
    but the lights are a bugger to upgrade mainly due to their design
    and useing old leds so making the optic unusable for the better leds .

Last winter I recall a thread post where hope had said to someone their lights were good enough and no plans for owt better .

crazy-legs

I’d go helmet mounted over bar mounts all the time, I’ve used helmet mounts pretty much exclusively for the last few years.
    I find bar mounts vibrate too much, the light doesn’t go round corners or over drops. Helmet means it’s easy to change bikes as well (eg at 24-hr races where I might want/need to swap to a second bike in the middle of the night).

stuey
    Free Member

With just a helmet light,don’t trail obstacles lose their shadow – can make rocks and drops look smaller.

So best to run both bars and helmet(?)

GW
    Free Member

stuey – simply move your head a little and you can judge distances fine.

trouts lights do seem easily the best I’ve ever seen but even if they do throw light downwards and sideways they still aren’t going to be a patch on a helmet mount when you are in the air. When I first mounted an HID on my lid years ago it was a complete revelation being able to ride DH race tracks at pretty much the same pace as daytime and jump gaps, doubles, hips and drops that’d have been safer avoiding using bar mounted lights with a bit of style.

yetiguy
    Free Member

does anyone have a picture of a trout on a bike with sight of the battery pack

stuey
    Free Member

GW – If I move my head I’d loose my death grip on the bars 😆

YetiGuy I think you’ve found him out – they’re so bright he has to run them off a very long 13amp extension lead.

Northwind

GW wrote,

“When I first mounted an HID on my lid years ago it was a complete revelation being able to ride DH race tracks at pretty much the same pace as daytime and jump gaps, doubles, hips and drops that’d have been safer avoiding using bar mounted lights with a bit of style.”

The relevance of this to the average forum member may be small :mrgreen: From my own perspective, helmet lights make it easier to tell what colour Haribo I’m about to eat, and make sure it’s not a milkbottle. Very important.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Yeti – a LL and a 601. Battery pack mounted on stem – it’s the smaller 2.8mAh one. I’ve ordered the 5.2mAh as I found the 2.8 doesn’t last long enough.

trout
    Free Member

Put it on yer lid then GW 😉

Yeti guy
    I have just received today some rather Beefy velcro straps for the purpose of mounting the battery bag under the stem or top tube .
    after the What MTB review complained the strap was too short and wobbly .
    Will have a pic in the daylight tomorrow.

yetiguy
    Free Member

Cheers

trout
    Free Member

Pics as promised Yeti Guy

I have a very short stem but with a 50 mm or longer it will go under there nicely .

though under my top tube is best on my MMMbop .

That is an endurance battery the standard battery is in the same bag but squashes down smaller.

For a size comparison the strap is 50 mm wide

yetiguy
    Free Member

Thanks trout

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Helmet lights – Do i really need one?’ is closed to new replies.