• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Del.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Helmet Lights: Alternatives to Joystick
  • shmoo
    Free Member

Anyone got any suggestions for helmet lights, I'd like an exposure Joystick but can't afford/ justify the price, can I use a 'normal' torch and cobble a mount to fit, if so has anyone done so/ any experiences, how effective are they/ run time, I'd only need it with run time of approx 1 1/2 – 2 hours, but would like to use it as back up light, and also so I can actually see what I'm doing when I'm mending punctures/ replacing tubes when its pitch black.

Cheers

HTTP404
    Free Member

I use a 3W Cree torch. Something like …
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4238

For a mount, you can either fabricate one (if you're ok with needle and thread) from a band of elastic, velcro and strapping. I've seen other mounts made from inner tubes and zip ties.

Or just buy one from
    http://www.thetorchsite.co.uk/LED_Lenser_Bike_Mounts.html

warpcow
    Free Member

Yes to torches! I have a Fenix torch of some kind (L2D I think, about 210 lumens in turbo) as my helmet light and it's been excellent all winter. Takes 2 AA batteries for about 2hrs on full power and only cost about £30. There are probably even cheaper similar torches available from places like dealextreme but you have to factor in a couple of weeks wait for those.

I just attach it with one of those lockblocks like in the link above. Just make sure you get the right shape for your helmet.

EDIT- just checked, mines a LD20. Rated at 205 lumens.

toons
    Free Member

Yes

You'll need one of this torch

plus batteries and charger with travel plug

It you're in a hurry pay for the faster postage

with one of these for the helmet mount

wwaswas

I 'created' this;

by cutting down one of the tesco 5w LED torches and I've wired a 3 cell AA battery holder too it.

You can have the light, holder and the Cateye Helmet mount (which is pretty good, tbh) for £10 posted.

The lights not terribly pretty following an epoxy 'issue';

but it works well.

In terms of light it's probably a tighter beam than a joystick and, iirc, it's about 200lm.

edit – click pics to make bigger.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i just bought a Smart 35 lux torch for commuting thats suprisingly bright. I was 25 quid from Rutland, its also called a "Blaze 2w" and there a review here:
    http://www.ecovelo.info/2009/10/28/planet-bike-blaze-2w-2/ which compares is to a fenix l2d.

i'm just using mine for commuting so wanted AA batteries + a decent handlebar mount, not sure how well it would work on a helmet.

z1ppy

+1 for Toons, the original DealExtreme torches, output just as good as the Magicshine units.
    Admittedly some ppl find them a little heavy.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Fenix TK11 here. Its a bit heavy, and kicks out about 220lumen. However, it can throw that light up to 200m. I find this much more useful for fast night riding as I was running out of light penetration with the Joystick.

The joystick definitely has a better spread of light and has some nifty functions, and is lighter, but I have a bar mounted light that did the same job anyway so I wasn't getting any benefit from the joystick.

prettygreenparrot

Alpkit have a £12.50 head torch thing. The bigger LED on it throws out a fair amount of light (1W). It's not in the same league as 'proper' lighting, but is good enough for supplementing your night lights for looking out of the main beam. It's indispensable for DIY and would probably be great for at the campsite.
    Alpkit headtorch

thegreatape
    Free Member

How good are Joysticks?

simon1975

Haha wwaswas I've done exactly the same with a Tesco torch 🙂

My first one burnt out at 3.6v so I run 2.4v now. Beats a Joystick for my money although has less flood. Runs for about 4 hours with my 2700mAH cells. I wouldn't want to put anything as big as Toons's on my head – too heavy.

Del

How good are Joysticks?

not 10x better than one of these:
    cree wf 606a

a good supplement for a bar light or a good 'get you off the hill light'.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Helmet Lights: Alternatives to Joystick’ is closed to new replies.