Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Helmet in hand luggage to USA – are they a security risk ???
  • zinger
    Free Member

Hi All

On my last trip to USA my helmet got cracked in my hold luggae, as I dont want my new helmet to get squashed in hold luggage again I was thinking of carrying it through security – its a Specialized S-Works Helmet not full face or anything

But will I be allowed to carry it through airport security ?

Anyone got any expeerince of if helmets are considered to be a weapon ?

thanks

Zinger

simondbarnes

Should be fine, I was.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Carried them, generally prepared to wear it if they make a fuss about size but mainly just say it's not worth risking it in hold luggage unless they can guarantee not to break it as your life depends on it!

As for using it as a weapon not as mean as your average trolley case

Rio

Don't know about bike helmets but my ski helmet became a weapon this year, was told I had to pack it in my checked luggage. Strange as I've been taking it as hand luggage for years, but you can't argue with them.

Gooner
    Free Member

i always carry mine on (i attach it to my rucksack by its chin strap) and have never had a problem;

easyjet
    jet2
    BA
    American airlines

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Last October it was fine going out (Heathrow-Denver) but I wasn't allowed to carry it going back. No problem in the UK.

JohnnyPanic

Completley different of course but last year when I did Luton to Geneva for a ski trip I took a rope out in my hand luggage (rucsac).

On the way back Geneva airport security were most unhappy with it being in there. I got the impression that they didn't think it was a security risk, just not a valid item for hand luggage. I had to recover anything I needed from the sac then the airport agent took the rucsac and rope out to the hold luggage when that was being loaded.

Oddly this year they also objected to swiss army penknife I inadvertantly left in there… 🙄

hels
    Free Member

A friend of mine was told he couldn't carry it as it amounted to an extra piece of hand luggage, so he put it on his head and wore it as a hat. Quite amusing.

devs
    Free Member

I'm another one who was told my ski helmet had to be in hold luggage this year. It only seems to be some airports and carriers at the moment but no doubt more of them will catch on. The cynic in me seems to think it's another way of getting you to pay excess luggage.

cynic-al
    Free Member

that job must appeal to life's worst assholes.

hels
    Free Member

Or sleazebags.

I got hit on once at US customs, I said I had a 6 hour layover and the guy pulled a card out of his wallet of a bar he frequents and he was coming off shift in an hour and if I wanted to kill time could meet him for a drink. I was so stunned and of course have learned to never ever ever under any circunstances cross US border offcials so agreed, didn't go tho.

I reckon he must work the 99% odds like a lot of blokes that is hit on every single woman you meet, esp if you have all their personal details in from of you, and eventually 1% will be desparate enough.

Never thought to ask him about concealed weapons.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

If the person on the security gate decides that it's a security risk, then it becomes a security risk.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Geneva seems to be a funny place managed to get a Jar of honey (dont laugh it was expensive fancy stuff) through security because I said it was for my GF and I needed a present after going away on a blokes ski trip. He understood

aracer
    Free Member

Do they still sell swiss army knives after the last security check point before you get on the plane at Geneva?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Helmet in hand luggage to USA – are they a security risk ???’ is closed to new replies.