Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Helmet Cams
  • McStumpy
    Free Member

Hi

I was wondering what is the best helmet cam around.I had a look online and narrowed it down to two products.

GoPro Helmet Hero
    Oregon Scientific ATC5K

My first choice would be the GoPro as it has a wider field of vision and better light compensation ! However,it doesn’t have playback feature or preview,like the ATC5K.I want the ability to take still photos too,especially for actions shot over jumps and the like.Does anyone know how responsive these products are at taking still photos ? My regular digi camera has a delay of about 1.5 secs before capturing a shot.Useless for action shots !

Also.Is it worth paying the extra for HD ? HD quality on the GoPro is excellent,but it’s a bit pricey !

Cheers ! 8)

Northwind

The Gopro has the chest mount, which for me was case closed. The basic one isn’t particularily good quality but it’s extremely stable and reliable, which is just as important. I got some good videos with mine but decided to go to a HD (imported from America for cheap) and it was a great decision, though the HD MP4 is a bugger to edit, Sony Vegas chokes on it and XP WMM can’t work with it at all.

Personally I wouldn’t touch an Oregon product again, they’re an awful company… Every year since the first ever ATC they’ve added bells and whistles, screens, higher resolution etc but they’ve never fixed the rolling shutter wobble-vision effect or the crap mounts. And now it’s enormous and heavy but still attaches with the same easy-break mounting, and still has the exact same wobble. Terrible. Usually I try and be evenhanded about stuff like this but trust me, you don’t want one, not for £50 would it be worth it.

The competition for Gopro is Contour IMO, ATC aren’t even in the same street.

This is standard def (old model) Gopro with a slight quality drop for uploading, but it’s pretty representative:
    http://vimeo.com/12741008

None of these cams are very good at stills, the Gopro does half-decent quality but the fisheye spoils it a bit and there’s no depth of field at all. Here’s one from my HD…

Don’t have any decent quality HD video uploaded yet.

McStumpy
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply Northwind and for the info too ! I think you sold it too me.GoPro it is !

brownix
    Free Member

Wait a little while until Go-pro, brings out its new range of a half way house to HD, It hasn’t got the 1080p videoing, but it does have 920 i think, which is good enough.
    It only costs around 179 aswell.
    I think this video is in 720p, (its my mate, not me) 😆

Edit:
    can’t seem to post the video, so just go to this link.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/144799/

McStumpy
    Free Member

Good man ! I’ll keep an eye out for the new range :mrgreen: GoPro ! Cheers !

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Helmet Cams’ is closed to new replies.