Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • helmet camera's?
  • banginon

Just a few thoughts to put to the massive;

1 How many folks are actually filming their rides?

2 what kit is the best?

3 can you record a couple of hours or is it just snippets of a ride?

4 would folks be interested in hiring a camera for a ride ( for example around Drumlanrigs most excellent singletrack); then either purchasing the card used, or bringing their own, or for us to burn the footage onto a disc on return to the shop?

Can you lot see a market or are there gonna be problems?

Cheers

Rik

geetee1972
    Free Member

I bought one recently and I hardly use it to be honest. It’s great if you’re a) riding some where unique or that you’ve made a special trip to, like the Alps, and you want to capture the trails for ‘posterity’, or b) if you want to actually make a film with your mates and combine headcam footage with third person footage.

Other than that, to just film ‘a ride’ using a POV camera, the footage ends up being as interesting as watching paint dry.

If anyone wants to buy a three month old GoPro HD, used maybe three times, with 16gb memory card mail me!

GEDA
    Free Member

Your really selling it to me. I was wondering if you could set up a normal cheapo camera as a helmet cam. Do they do image stabilisation?

plumber
    Free Member

Don’t think it would work at Drummers – even though its one of my favouritest trails it wouldn’t translate to a cam – I have a cam and wouldn’t use it at drummers

to answer your question

1 – I know many that do

2 – anything, go pro has the best attachement system currently in my view

3 – you could film quite a lot with a 16 gig card but the batteries would probably fail first

4 – see above

I could see more value in the nature programme cams that work off movement

set up one/multiple at an approiate point/s

pick up cards end of each week – pt on youtoob with an id code

put up sign near start of trail telling people they can view themselves via YT like at alton tower rides

distribute via email

not sure how you would be with the law on this sort of thing?

just a thought

Plum

plumber
    Free Member

on second thoughts thats a shit idea

please ignore – ta

big-chief-96
    Free Member

I got a flip case for my Sony Ericsson Vivaz and with a few cable ties attached it to my helmet. The image shaking isn’t that much of a problem if the actual camera is securely attached and the helmet fitted well. If you have a decent phone camera or small video camera you’d be better off making some sort of contraption for it.

For getting helmet cameras to rent I think it’s a great idea. I know I’d definitely get one or two for the day and buy the card afterwards and I think a lot of other people would as well.

Milkie
    Free Member

I like the idea of renting it and having the option of the card or disc.

You would certainly have to take them through how to use it, possibly fit it and give them an idiots guide for when they’re out on the trail.

It would have to be a GoPro HD, with a couple of mounts (chest, bars) and a couple of batteries.

Neil-F
    Free Member

I made a bracket to fix my Nokia to my seatpost, giving me a “cock-cam” and it was fantastic, good view ahead and it shows how much work the fork actually does! The only thing is, because the phone is fixed upright the footage is narrow. I really need the phone to be horizontal for it to be fully effective. I’l lno doubt be “fettling” the phone slightly, once my contract is up. 😀

I’l ltry and uplad some footage to youtube.

spev

We’ve got a go pro 960 which we will be making available to rent once we have sorted out mounts etc.
    We did plan on lending out the cable so the customer can connect to his own pc, not to worried if it doesn’t get taken much as we use it a lot ourselves
    We are close enough to a trail centre to let it out for a weekends rent to locals, haven’t decided what to do yet though

banginon

Cameras distributed thru the woods combined with helmet cams would be great but can you imagine the logistics of either running cables or collecting the cards. Wireless would be cool but kinda expensive, we have actually looked into it as an added value kinda thing; however given the enormous cost and a good guess at how much/little you’d want to pay for the results it’s not exactly gonna rake in the cash.

So I’ll likely get a Contour and a Go pro for hire/demo; and folks can choose what to use, what they like, offer them the card to buy or burn the footage to disc. We’ll obviously have to have some in stock too…

I reckon it could be popular with families and youth groups too.

Cheers for all the comments..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘helmet camera's?’ is closed to new replies.