Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Helmet advice please; I'm in the market but…..
  • northernerindevon

…I haven’t bought a new helmet for 3 years or so. Mine is a Giro (can’t recall which model) and is a bit tatty and I’ve lost a few pads. I seem to think it might be a good idea to replace your lid every few years regardless of whether you have headbutted a tree / sheep / pedestrian etc etc recently.

Now, before I get shot down, I am fully aware that I need to try any potential purchase on to make sure it fits my ugly bonce properly but can anyone reccomend brands/models that they have had good experiences with? I ride mostly cross country / all mountain (I’m a mountain biker – why all these f*****G sub genres?!?) so I am after excellent ventilation, good looks (oooh, vain!) and £70 – £100. Definitely no need for a full face.

So, any idea’s / recommendations for me to try and try on??

Cheers, Paul

CheesybeanZ

Fox flux , 661 reckon both have great ventilation

proberts
    Free Member

I’ve had a few lids lately but settled with a Met Kaos UL, it’s light and comfy and I forget I’m wearing it so it’s perfect, POC trabec Race (£96-amazon) is also a very good lid, it’s slightly heavier than the MET and the ventilation isn’t as good.
    The FOX Stryker and 661 recon are both ultra comfortable but I personally didn’t like styling as much as the MET, the Scott Lin and Urge AM are both out in a few months so you might want to wait for those…

Paul

joeyj
    Free Member

I bought the 2012 Scott karma from start cycles and it’s great the fitting is excellent with their turney thing at the back. Comes in a number of colours and for £25 down from £85 its worth a try.

northernerindevon

Nice one, cheers for the tips. Plenty to go on.

Northwind

The Fox Flux is great, but does feel a wee bit clunky compared to the competition- it’s absolutely massive, and heavy, and the strap system isn’t great. But that’s all worth ignoring as it’s good value and works brilliantly once on.

The newer Striker is maybe a wee bit more XC- the coverage of the back of the skull isn’t quite as good, but it’s only mms of difference. In return, it’s got better straps, it’s physically smaller, and miles lighter- which are good things in a crash but also good things for wearing. Better vented too.

I’d happilly buy either again but the Striker is the better lid IMO

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Helmet advice please; I'm in the market but…..’ is closed to new replies.